Anyone have construction problems? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Won't be disappointed Donna . Pat
You know my next question... what kind of fasteners do I need? Don't want the door off while I run to the hardware store. Planning ahead! TIA.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You know my next question... what kind of fasteners do I need? Don't want the door off while I run to the hardware store. Planning ahead! TIA.
Donna if you can't reuse the ones already on hinges ? Just use a hand screw driver to remove . Mine were stainless . If they aren't reusable , remove one screw from door side and one from hinge side . They are 2 sizes . The shorten screw goes on the door , the longer into body . Take to get new same size stainless screws . The door will be fine just removing one screw to size . A marine supply should have what you need . Door is not heavy , you can do it alone . When you install just remove one hinge at a time and put new hinge on , using a hand screw driver . I would add a little sealant to screw hole also . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #103

Quote:
Donna if you can't reuse the ones already on hinges ? Just use a hand screw driver to remove . Mine were stainless . If they aren't reusable , remove one screw from door side and one from hinge side . They are 2 sizes . The shorten screw goes on the door , the longer into body . Take to get new same size stainless screws . The door will be fine just removing one screw to size . A marine supply should have what you need . Door is not heavy , you can do it alone . When you install just remove one hinge at a time and put new hinge on , using a hand screw driver . I would add a little sealant to screw hole also . Pat
Donna you probably already know this but leave door closed and don't open until you have all your hinges reinstalled . Pat
Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #104

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What do the screws go into, I'm taking it there is blocking?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #105
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for the info Pat. I haven't been over to Ten Forward in a couple of weeks, so didn't know I could reuse the screws. But that makes sense!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks for the info Pat. I haven't been over to Ten Forward in a couple of weeks, so didn't know I could reuse the screws. But that makes sense!
As long as the screws are still good . With the nice new hinges you want everything to look good . I had one screw someone messed up the square drive . Reason for using a hand screw driver . Pat
Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What do the screws go into, I'm taking it there is blocking?
Yes they installed some wood blocking in trailer for door . I still because you disturbed by removing the screws add a little sealant to screw holes when you reinstall . Pat
Old 04-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When reinstalling the screws I suggest using some white bathroom caulk to seal the threads and keep water from getting into the wood behind the screws. I did that when I removed my door due to the lock issue.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Might be good to separate and rename these last parts of this thread into something about hinge replacement to make it much easier for folks to find it in the future.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #110
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Already did so myself..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #111

Trailer: None
Hello everyone. I am Dave from Western Hardware.

I noticed a trend lately and I wanted to say hello to everyone who found us on the web. I especially wanted to say thank you to Patandlinda and Bob J (I have only talked to him via email so I don't know his user name) for spreading the word about our website. It just so happens a part we made for another industry is working to fix your trailers.

If this is something you are interested in, we are a woman and minority owned family business that started here in Southern California in 1968.

I wanted to come here to answer any questions people might have or offer a contact person to anyone who wanted to call or email us about your trailer. I also wanted to point out that we currently aren't manufacturing this hinge anymore. I don't expect that we will run out of the WHCSSFH any time soon just be aware that its unlikely that we will restock them.

Thank you all for your support.

-Dave

Edit: So someone was confused about what I said so I deleted that part of the post. WHCSSFH is the hinge you are going to want. Once we run out of inventory (we have hundreds) we probably won't be restocking them.

Edit # 2: WHCSSFH is the part that is listed online but your paperwork will say WHCSSFH-RH. It just has the rounded portion on one side but it can be mounted right or left side.
Westernhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernhardware View Post
Hello everyone. I am Dave from Western Hardware.

I noticed a trend lately ......
Welcome, Dave. Always good to have places to go for solutions, and those hinges sound better than the OEM ones.

I am curious as to what this trend you refer to is?

Quote:
I wanted to come here to answer any questions people might have or offer a contact person to anyone who wanted to call or email us about your trailer. I also wanted to point out that we currently aren't manufacturing this hinge anymore. I don't expect that we will run out of the WHCSSFH any time soon just be aware that its unlikely that we will restock them (unless Escape wants us to make it for them).
Escape has rebuilt the moulds of their trailers, and no longer uses a moulded door which uses these hinges, but instead buys a fully assembled door unit.So, they would not have need for these hinges, but anyone with a 2016 or older model surely might.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #113

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Thanks for the post Dave!
I picked up a pair of the SS hinges and they look terrific.
Escape has changed the door design, so I don't think they will need to upgrade their production parts, but these are a great upgrade for those of us with the original doors.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Welcome, Dave. Always good to have places to go for solutions, and those hinges sound better than the OEM ones.

Escape has rebuilt the moulds of their trailers, and no longer uses a moulded door, but instead buys a fully assembled door unit, so would not have need for these hinges, but anyone with a 2016 or older model surely could.
Thanks Jim. Regarding the word trend, I was saying a lot of people were buying the hinge and we were confused what was happening.

I was informed that advertising isn't allowed here and I am trying to tread carefully. I edited my original post to be less sales oriented. Honestly, as someone who is into electronics and diy projects I always appreciated when someone who was making a widget I used said hi. So there it is, if you need any info or have questions about the product I will follow the thread and answer what I can.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Escape has rebuilt the moulds of their trailers, and no longer uses a moulded door, but instead buys a fully assembled door unit, so would not have need for these hinges, but anyone with a 2016 or older model surely could.
Jim I figured out we were #792 trailer Nov. 2013 . That is 1584 hinges to that point . Yes ,there are like what Escape installed but Western Hardware hinges won't have the issues and problems I would guess we all are having . In other words our trailers will definetly outlast the hinges . There should be over 2000+ hinges on Escape trailers out there . Most who aren't on the forum may never know about these great hinge replacements for very little cost . What is the solution ? Wish I had the funds and could get Western Hardware inventory . Maybe let Reace know and he could get some on hand for his customers . Pat
Old 05-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Thanks for the post Dave!
I picked up a pair of the SS hinges and they look terrific.
Escape has changed the door design, so I don't think they will need to upgrade their production parts, but these are a great upgrade for those of us with the original doors.
Thank you Paul I am glad you are happy with the product.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #117

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Might make more sense to have this as a thread entitled something about replacement hinges to make it easier for folks to find?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #118

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks Jim. Regarding the word trend, I was saying a lot of people were buying the hinge and we were confused what was happening.

I was informed that advertising isn't allowed here and I am trying to tread carefully. I edited my original post to be less sales oriented. Honestly, as someone who is into electronics and diy projects I always appreciated when someone who was making a widget I used said hi. So there it is, if you need any info or have questions about the product I will follow the thread and answer what I can.
Thanks for the clarification. It seemed kinda like an open ended statement, thus made no sense.

I believe posts from a business venture are fine, you just need to contact the help desk to get your status changed to a Commercial Member.
Quote:
Jim I figured out we were #792 trailer Nov. 2013 . That is 1584 hinges to that point .
Put that way, it certainly does sound like a lot of hinges, and there were a bunch more beyond yours.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #119

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
construction hinges

I just ordered a pair and I will bring them with me to BC if anyone wants to see them. I may have to install them on my trailer in the future as we don't have a problem in AZ normally although we do travel.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Might make more sense to have this as a thread entitled something about replacement hinges to make it easier for folks to find?
Good idea Eric. Pat