Anyone have construction problems? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Anyone have construction problems?

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. As some of you have read from my previous posts, I'm trying to decide what to purchase. I recently had a month long rental in a 32' motor home and realized it was way too big, so I'm looking for something smaller.

Hubby is a very smart man (one reason I decided he was a keeper) in that he knows whatever I'm happy with, he's happy with, so he's letting me do all the research. We both agree we detest leather furniture and that's all most of the rigs I've looked at over the past 6 months have. Yuck.

Anyway, I've been reading forums for other companies, to get information and all that. And one constant seems to be the various problems owners have with their rigs, even new ones. Such as a bent wire connection, axles too light for the trailer, paint coming off steps, water leaking through a window that wasn't sealed, A/C not working, screws/nails not all the way in (did see that in the Jayco I rented), waste tanks not properly strapped so they sag and don't empty completely, bad blinds, etc, etc. Some folks have had theirs in for so much repair they've hardly used it in the months they've owned it.

After the complaints, others will chime in saying it's the nature of the beast and that you have to accept there will be problems that have to get fixed after you buy it.

I say "forget that". I pay tens of thousands of dollars and it should be ready for me to take out on the road once I get it.

However, on this forum I'm not seeing those types of complaints. It is because I've not explored the forum enough?

Or because they just don't exist and you get a quality product that's ready to take on a long road trip right away? Is it because ETI is a small company that cares about their product? And they're not a company that's cranking out hundreds upon hundreds of their product as quickly as possible to satisfy all their dealers?

After reading the other forums, I feel fortunate the rental didn't have any problems (other than the owner of the company not telling me how to do certain things or where they were, like the breakers, TV switch for cable, reset for generator - Yeah, won't go into all that - HA!) on the almost 2000 mile trip.

If I purchase an Escape, I want to be able to take it out right away and start using it. I don't want it to sit in a repair shop.

I did see one post about the frig beeping and how the owner needed to turn off the light, but it got replaced by the company owner at some rally. That's about the only complaint I've seen (so far).

Thanks much folks. I really appreciate all your feedback.

Laura
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Anything can have issues, as far as trailers go, Escape has way less then most, but not zero. I've had a few issues, but way less then my Starcraft had. It's just my personal opinion, but if you by any rv, you should expect to be fixing some things, bouncing down the road takes a toll. It helps greatly to be handy with repairs. I would have given up rv'ing if I had had to bring the Starcraft in for all the issues it had.

Covered storage helps a lot.

Issues I've had on the Escape.
Screen door comes out of the track, you put it back in and learn how to close it correctly.
Surge Protector (EMS) chattering, replace the contactor/relay.
Rust on step, Rustolium.
2 door fridge cooling issue, awaiting ETI.
Drawer slide pulled loose, use longer screws.
Slow draining grey holding tank, just the way it is.
Bathroom window won't stay open, ETI sent parts.
Rust on window screws, ETI sent new parts.
Kitchen sink stoppers leak, replaced with better.
Handle/clamp for the awning fell off somewhere, I probably didn't tighten it, bought one off Amazon.

None of these would or did stop me from using the trailer, only the fridge will require a trip to a repair shop.

7000 miles on the trailer.

Just some of the major things I fixed on the Starcraft.
Converter died
Single axle suspension rebuild.
Brakes rusted solid
rear lights filled with water
Many water leak issues, roof seams, bunk doors, sky light, shower, walls.
Replace the plywood floor
3 sets of tires

About 20k miles
Old 05-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
An RV trailer is a large complex product with components that are made by 3rd parties. Some problems are inevitable.

I've only had my trailer for a few months; but so far, so good. The construction seems top notch, things are well thought out, and I was able to get things made my way. To my thinking, I paid a premium price and received a premium product. That said, the refrigerator, furnace, axle, and other components weren't made by ETI. ETI seems to use very good components and goes out of their way to help; but they aren't in the refrigerator business. There is only so much they can do (and it seems they've gone above and beyond what I'd expect).
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i own a used trailer 2012 17b everything works great. i sometimes need help learning how all the parts work but my trailer is very well built. I am a single woman often traveling alone and i am not handy So I really need a trailer without many repair issues. I also live in the Pacific NW so i picked this trailer because it is very water tight with far less risk of water damage issues.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I have a ten year old Escape that we bought used two years ago, and we (knock on wood) haven't had any problems yet! I really do think they make a superior product... We may be lucky in that our third party stuff (fridge, A/C, hot water heater, etc) are still functioning; it does seem like those are the weak links.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
My Escape is two years old and has over 100 nights on it. The only trouble I've had were third-party issues: the water pump and the sail switch on the furnace had to be replaced. Um...there were a few operator-error issues.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Laura, No one, and certainly no company, is perfect. It’s how they handle issues as they arise that differentiate the good from the bad. We came very close to purchasing another brand, until I read their forums and blogs. They not only had production quality issues, but they weren’t handling them to the satisfaction of their customers. They also didn’t seem to be making any changes to their quality control because those issues kept on showing up.

Then I, like you, read this forum and was impressed. Yes issues arise, but because of ETI’s quest for production quality, their openness to customer input, and their continual revision to quality control, we just don’t hear much in the complaint department. I see issues being taken care of and not showing up time and again. Which is really cool, because this forum can spend it’s time on more pleasant things like; what’s out your back window, trailer modifications, campground suggestions, tow vehicle discussions, and the all time favorite, Friday Pictures. AND, we can actually use our trailers for what we purchased them for.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #8

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
In my opinion, you are on the right track by looking at FGRV's (Fiberglass RV). Our first camper was a 17 Casita and we really liked it. Very few issues, not of them related to construction. We decided we needed more room and spent a considerable amount of time at RV shows and dealers lots looking at SOB's. The construction issues are very apparent on many of them and very few brands would we even consider. Came very close to purchasing an Artic Fox.

I can't really explain it, but FGRV's just have a different feel. Living in Western WA and having to store our camper outside, the rubber roof really became a deal breaker for us. We are so much more confident with fiberglass construction. We just took delivery of our new 5.0 and couldn't be happier. The construction and quality to detail from ETI is top notch. We hope to keep our 5'r for about 10 years into retirement and I have no doubts that it will be in great shape at that time. And it will be stored outdoors the whole time.

You are on the right track and I'm sure all of your research will prove that. Best of luck. Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
We've now taken two 4-week trips in our Escape 21, and are the proverbial happy campers. That doesn't mean there have been no problems, but the way Escape dealt with the issues has kept us pleased with the company and the quality of its products.

For example, when using our inverter while off-grid, we could still only get power from one plug, despite having the transfer switch installed. I mentioned this to Dennis when we had our unit in for a brake adjust and wheel bearing check, and he immediately put one of the guys onto it. Turns out an ex-employee had mis-wired our unit to the extent that if we had ever run the water heater on electric it would have drained the dual 6-volt batteries.

ETI also replaced the rusting "stainless" screws supplied by the maker of our double-pane windows.

Our unit was built during the Great Dometic Fridge Crisis of 2014, and during its build Reace decided to install the Texas Fan at no charge. On our recent trip to southern Utah we had some 80 degree days, but the fridge and freezer worked like champs on setting 4 out of 5 when the fan kicked in.

We're particularly happy that it tows beautifully with the Andersen hitch, and that it should never leak, even here on the Wet Coast.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
As advised by many on the forum, we spent our first night camped near ETI. There was way too much sunlight coming in around the main door in the morning. ETI replaced it the next day. When we got home, we had a lot of wet TP in the cabinet under the fridge. Water pump leaked badly...Reace promptly mailed us a new one and a very nice gift card for Olive Garden. The fridge is essentially worthless above 75-80 degrees...but I think the forum reflects Reace's efforts to make that good...even though we're not there yet. You cannot ask for better customer service than I have received from ETI.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
As advised by many on the forum, we spent our first night camped near ETI.
A most excellent piece of advice which we followed last week. A light that was working during our trailer orientation stopped working the next day. We drove back to ETI and they replaced it on the spot. Reace also gave us a sample of that famous ETI customer service and I drove away a very happy camper with more than I had any reason to expect.

Quote:
You cannot ask for better customer service than I have received from ETI.
You can say that again...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
As advised by many on the forum, we spent our first night camped near ETI.
Or better yet do like I did, and go camping with them for the weekend the day you do the pick up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Only 2 minor issues on pickup. The water connector for the toilet was not threaded properly so was dripping when we connected to a water source. Thankfully it was an easy fix to unscrew it and thread it on properly. Second was a screw that holds the shelf above the bed has stripped the hole it's put into and I'm afraid to try a longer screw. The shelf seems secure without it so I've left it for now.

What is so great about Escape is their willingness to quickly help you out. I broke my rear window and they had one shipped out to me immediately, I received it in less than a week. Reace even told me how to replace the window and supplied us with everything we needed to perform the window replacement, but because our son threw a frisbee through a (closed) basement window at home, we got the window installer to install the window on our Escape for us while he was repairing the basement window.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #14

Quick fix for a stripped hole in wood is a hard round style tooth pick and some wood glue. Dab some wood glue on the tooth pick slip it into the hole down as far as it will go. Let dry trim off excess with a sharp razor knife reinstall screw done if the hole is slightly larger then the round tooth pic slip a flat tooth pick in next to it. Becareful not to over tighten the screw. If the above does not work do not go longer that could end badly lol just take the screw to a hardware store and have them give you the same length but one diameter size larger .

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
'EL YES I've had construction problems. I can't get the dang auto exterior wash and wax to work. I'm thinking it's connected to the auto interior clean and straighten option. Does anyone know where the switch is?

Laura, this is Ten Forward: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...iler-2774.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
'EL YES I've had construction problems. I can't get the dang auto exterior wash and wax to work. I'm thinking it's connected to the auto interior clean and straighten option. Does anyone know where the switch is?
Ha! We have a very effective voice-activated, automatic, exterior wash/wax system. Susannah says in a low, calm voice: "Alan, you want dinner tonight, you wash...".

Works every time.

<== Susannah, note the flowers.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's probably inside that clothes washer/dryer/dishwasher combo unit I read about on another thread. Hee, hee, hee.

Oh, and I get to view a 21' tomorrow! Ssssooo looking forward to it. Gotta make sure my camera is all charged up. Already warned the owner I'm standing in the bathroom to see how I fit and flopping on the bed.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Which 21 owner is showing Laura; ETI pays a nice referral fee FYI.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Which 21 owner is showing Laura; ETI pays a nice referral fee FYI.
Yes, I read about that in other posts, so I was well aware of that.

I had someone with a 5th wheel contact me and I need to follow up for a good time/day. And someone else, but need to read the posts to see what they own. If it's a 19 footer, then I'll have all the sizes I'm interested in covered.

Now to check into the rally a bit more! And when hubby can take a day or two off so we can go to the factory.

Whew!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We bought a motorhome which had many (a dozen or more) non-trivial issues. I believe that a major reason that RVs have more problems than cars is that they are built in relatively small volumes, so some issues don't get sorted out for a long time, if ever. My motorhome has a fundamentally unworkable fresh water tank vent design, but because only one floorplan variant of the series has the issue (due to a slide-out in the way of the normal vent) they still haven't worked it out.

Escape Trailer Industries is small even by RV industry standards, so they should have even more of these problems, and a buyer should be prepared to hit some. The pride Escape people taking in making their product, and their responsiveness to customers, seems to more than make up for this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote