Anyone pull a 5.0TA with a Toyota Tundra? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
The 1,500 lb payload works for us but we travel pretty light.

Does anybody know if payload includes fuel? Also have you ever been weighed and checked against your vehicles GVWR, and is it a big deal if you are a bit over?
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post

Does anybody know if payload includes fuel? Also have you ever been weighed and checked against your vehicles GVWR, and is it a big deal if you are a bit over?
Hi: DanandDaphne... IMHO a tank of fuel and average wt. driver is included. Light beer and "Slim Fast" isn't!!! I find towing a 5.0TA with a freshwater tank full makes it lighter on the pin. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:

Payload includes fuel but not the driver. Door jam sticker payloads for identical Tundras with 26-gallon and 38-gallon fuel tanks are different.

SAE J2087 towing capacity includes fuel and a 150-lb driver and a 150-lb passenger.

It's personal choice whether you want to exceed GVWR.

I really liked the Tundra and 5.0TA combination, but the 2018 Tundra payload numbers were just too close, so we went with a 19. I don't want to have to tell my bride that she pushes our truck over it's payload. :/

If your older Tundra door jam sticker says a 1500 pound payload, that's more workable than the newer models.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We had a similar experience as Bill. Ordered a 5.0TA and then purchased a new 2018 Tundra which came with a 38-gallon fuel tank. I had crunched the numbers over and over and, while it was tight, felt that it was okay. (Of course the people at the dealership were quick to confirm my calculations .... ) Once we had the truck and the manual in hand, I recomputed the numbers, posed questions on this forum and thought about it long and hard. Bottom line, we weren't comfortable with such a tight margin (our payload is listed as 1320 lbs) so we switched to a 21'. We haven't regretted our decision and enjoy having that larger fuel tank.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Everything I see states the 5.0TA puts either 630 or 900 lbs on the pin. I am not sure about the 900 lbs but the data sheet or the 5.0TA page says "Hitch Weight 630 lbs".

Did I get this right?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Everything I see states the 5.0TA puts either 630 or 900 lbs on the pin. I am not sure about the 900 lbs but the data sheet or the 5.0TA page says "Hitch Weight 630 lbs".

Did I get this right?
The factory numbers are "dry" in that options and fluids, personal items, propane will add to that number. So 630 empty and some have weighed 900 loaded for traveling.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Did I get this right?
Hi: UncleTim... The previous admin at ETI weighed the 5.0TA pin wt./ trailer with full fresh tank and full propane tanks. That's a lot more than most Mfg's do!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
The gen2 5.0TA's are heavier, and options and trailer cargo could push the pin weight to what, maybe 900 pounds? If anyone with a gen2 5.0TA has measured it, that might help the original poster.
Quote:
I think the 5.0TA puts about 900 lbs on the pin.
Quote:
There have been a few threads in this forum discussing 5.0TA pin weights. About 16% of gross trailer weight is typical and suitable. As Jim explained, 630 pounds would be for a dry and empty (and no optional equipment) trailer. Equipped (with options) and loaded, the pin weight will be higher. 900 pounds would be extraordinarily high, but with a trailer loaded to the maximum (which almost no one does) it wouldn't be out of line (it would be 15% of the 5.0TA's maximum gross weight of 6,000 pounds).

You might want to conservatively plan to allow for 900 pounds of pin weight, but expect it to be lower in actual use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I just checked the Trailer Weights in the Real World Spreadsheet for Escape 5.0TA & the average pin weight is 702 pounds, minimum 520, maximum 1036. This is for 6 trailers...
Old 12-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Not to be Debbie Downer here, and if you've already made up your mind up about buying a Tundra then you can probably make it work (as many on here do!), but payload limits with the 5.0TA were precisely the reason I went with a 19 instead. My Colorado's payload is 1,390 lbs, and while generous for a 1/2 ton, I would still have had to worry about whether this or that tank was full, how much stuff I had in the truck and trailer, how much its occupants weighed(!), and if for some reason I exceeded the truck's payload and was in accident, if my insurance company would cover any losses or liability or not.

One thing I learned when trying to make this decision was payload adds up fast, and payload is always the limiting factor no matter how much weight the vehicle is rated to tow. And there does seem to be quite a lot of variability in measured tongue and pin weights of Escapes depending on the options, how much stuff is in the trailer, how the stuff is loaded, and whether tanks are full or not.

While some are comfortable pushing the limits and report much success doing so (including a fair number towing 5.0TAs with the same truck I have), I decided I was not.

Had I been 100% for a 5.0TA, I would have bought a F150 with the payload package. The F150 is also rated to tow a 5th wheel. I think both Chevy and Dodge 1/2 tons now have very generous payloads that would work really well for a 5.0TA, and probably the earlier full-size models do as well, although I don't know if they are rated for 5th wheel towing or not.

For sure, whatever you decide to buy, look at the sticker in the driver's side door of the exact truck you're buying. It will have the payload for that truck, so you will know exactly what you have to work with. Best of luck to you with your new truck and Escape!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #31

I did buy the truck.

The payload is between 1,440 to 1,660 lbs for this truck. I think that should be okay. It is a Heavy 1/2 ton. Full towing package including factory electric brakes.

I could not find it on the sticker on the driver's door.

Both Escape and the Hitch company said this would be just fine.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 17A
According to my Tacoma owner's guide, payload includes everything that you put into the truck, including driver/passenger. If you add all the little stuff up ( I did it once), the resulting payload is higher than you think.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
According to my Tacoma owner's guide, payload includes everything that you put into the truck, including driver/passenger. If you add all the little stuff up ( I did it once), the resulting payload is higher than you think.
You are so right!! I'm figuring the tongue weight of my 19 fully loaded is 450 - 475 lbs, I have a 275 lb Leer topper on the bed of the truck, 2 normal sized adults, a couple of 45 lb dogs, a dog crate, some firewood for camping, 2 5 gallon containers of water, and other miscellaneous items we carry inside the truck, and I'm bumping up against the 1,390 lbs of payload my truck is rated to carry.

Add an adult person to the back seat, and I just went over. It does indeed add up quickly! Of course it's possible to move some of that stuff to the trailer, but one still needs to pay attention to how it's loaded. We're all tasked with making the numbers work for whatever combination we choose!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
I did buy the truck.

Not sure if you meant you couldn't find the sticker or you couldn't find the payload.

The sticker is on the drivers door jam below the "B" pillar. It's not on the door itself. If you open the door, look toward the back of the vehicle.

There are 1 or 2 stickers. There will be tire size and psi recommendations. There will also be verbiage like "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxx kg or xxxx lb".

Bill R
Attached Thumbnails
TundraPayloadSticker.jpg  
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
You're going to love it! the 5.0 tows so nice with our tundra and with the 5.7 engine it's going be even better.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #36

Quote:
I did buy the truck.

The payload is between 1,440 to 1,660 lbs for this truck. I think that should be okay. It is a Heavy 1/2 ton. Full towing package including factory electric brakes.

Both Escape and the Hitch company said this would be just fine.
Dealers and salespeople will always tell you it's fine. It's up to you to make sure, based on the options you're planning to get and how you travel. In your case it probably is fine, but it's still good to know the payload your vehicle is rated to carry. The sticker is on the driver's side, probably not on the door but on the body of the truck where the door shuts. It will say something like "Total weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed is X,XXX lbs".

If it's a 4X4 with a crew cab and any upgrades, it's likely to be closer to 1,440 lbs. But the only way to know for sure is to find the sticker.

For sure, get the Anderson hitch, I think they weigh under 100 lbs. That should help. Again, best of luck, and enjoy!
Old 12-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #37

Quote:
You're going to love it! the 5.0 tows so nice with our tundra and with the 5.7 engine it's going be even better.

Thank you guys. The payload is less than I thought. But checking with a number of people, they say you should be not only okay but very good.

The conservative approach expressed here is really good to hear about and calculate against. Thanks for that.

Let's hope I got this right. I have driven a trailer for many years. Never calculated tongue weight.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I plan to reweigh next year, as I was new at it last year when I did this. As far as I can figure here are my numbers with a 2019 5.0:

F-150 Lariat weighs 5080 lbs which includes the rail mounted Andersen Ultimate hitch (it is around 65 lbs plus the rails)

My payload is 1733 lbs
Pin weight 806 lbs (full fresh, other tanks empty)
I am carrying around 600 lbs in the bed of the truck.

Pin 800 lbs
Hitch and rails 100 Lbs,
gear in bed of truck 600 lbs
passenger 100 lbs
Total 1600 lbs.

This only leaves us with 100 lbs to play with.

We do carry quite a bit in the bed of the truck, but I am not so sure it is that much more than most. It is only a 5.5' bed, if we had the 6.5' bed we'd likely fill it up and we would be over!!

Again I will check my numbers next year but I think I am pretty accurate.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Speaking of Payload

interesting read as well

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31525/...oad-your-truck
Attached Thumbnails
This Broken Ford F-150.jpg  
Old 12-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Thanks for the laugh.

When your camper is obviously intended for a box two and half feet longer than your box, you should probably know not try to carry it in that truck, even without looking at any weights or ratings.

The ridiculous camper overload also illustrates something not mentioned in the article (but is in the Reddit discussion which The Drive copied): aside from the total weight, the camper's mass is way too far back on the truck, which is a problem for the frame but an even bigger problem for rear axle load. Fortunately, conventional Escape trailers don't have enough tongue weight for this to be a likely issue, and the pin weight of a 5.0TA is carried near the axle by any reasonable hitch installation... not beyond the end of the box (which is why this stupidity needs a strap over the camper to keep it from tipping off the back).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote