Anyone tried a Hartland tire? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
As much as I love Discount Tire, the Amazon $53 tire appears to be a D range while my original TA tires are C and getting near 5 years old. That seems to be the point that age on trailer tires is worse than wear. Come to think of it, I might be the same way, I don’t look that worn out, but the age is starting break me down....like Eubie Blake said “if I’d known I was gonna live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself”!
The 66 is a long bed stepside, with a 283 and a 4 speed....anything before 69 is a good ride....carburetors, points, drum brakes and manual steering....love ‘em all.
Ah a Chevy then . Had lots of those too. 56,59,64,67 . My 1964 Impala with the 283 couldn't be beat . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Whats the consensus on Carlisle trailer tires? they are what came on our 21, and I note they are speed rated for 80MPH whereas the Marathud's on my Casita were only rated for 65mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
We’ve got 22,000 miles on ours, John, and they are showing very little wear. Our Tire Pros carry them, and when they are ready for replacement, we have no reason to change.
I agree. The Carlisles hold their air, they seem to wear slowly and evenly, and after about 21K miles and 3 years they still look great.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree. The Carlisles hold their air, they seem to wear slowly and evenly, and after about 21K miles and 3 years they still look great.
Not as lucky for us after one flat and constantly losing air out of 2 , 3.1/2- 4 years replaced with new Maxxis . Holds air and no flats yet . But our trailer doesn't like the water pumps either 4 so far . Pat
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In all these tire discussions, I've never read anybody blaming themselves.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Not as lucky for us after one flat and constantly losing air out of 2 , 3.1/2- 4 years replaced with new Maxxis . Holds air and no flats yet . But our trailer doesn't like the water pumps either 4 so far . Pat
Sorry for your experience, Pat. We check monthly and air loss is 0-1 psi

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why not blame the rim? Or, the person that mounted the tire? Or, failure to check pressure? Or
Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Sorry for your experience, Pat. We check monthly and air loss is 0-1 psi
We do . A suggestion from Charley on the forum we bought tire sensors . That's how we knew we were constantly losing air . We didn't have the tire sensors and found the tire flat after coming home from Washington . So we are believers in tire sensors to monitor tires . Put the sensors on replacement tires so know there has been no air loss on these new tires . Pat
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why not blame the rim? Or, the person that mounted the tire? Or, failure to check pressure? Or
Same rims and the tires are always checked . Really like the new tires . Pat
Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
What sort of tire sensor works well with an Escape pulled behind a pickup ? I've been using a digital tire gauge and know I don't check things nearly often enough... but, when I do check them, they are nearly always right where I want them to be.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
What sort of tire sensor works well with an Escape pulled behind a pickup ? I've been using a digital tire gauge and know I don't check things nearly often enough... but, when I do check them, they are nearly always right where I want them to be.
Check out this thread:
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/tire-pressure-monitoring-systems-6907.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
But our trailer doesn't like the water pumps either 4 so far . Pat
I know this digresses from tires.... but our water pumps have woes as well, the current one doesn’t seem to prime itself..when it stays primed, works fine, but going down the road it’ll lose it, then it’s pull the tank hose end off, put another one on with a funnel attached and force feed it some water! Is there some sort of valve in the pump head that can be fixed?
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
How does a flat tire become the fault of the tire manufacturer. ?
( Blowout being the possible exception )
I 've had more tires ( vehicle and trailer ) lose air from leaking valve stems and bad / corroded rims then any other cause.
My Carlisle tire lost 2 - 3 PSI over last winter ( 7 months ) which I find quite acceptable.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I know this digresses from tires.... but our water pumps have woes as well, the current one doesn’t seem to prime itself..when it stays primed, works fine, but going down the road it’ll lose it, then it’s pull the tank hose end off, put another one on with a funnel attached and force feed it some water! Is there some sort of valve in the pump head that can be fixed?
Don't really know if this will make any improvement, but I changed this last 4 th pump to be horizontal instead of vertical . I added a accumulator tank and the longer silencing hoses . At this point I am looking for any solution . I do also carry a new spare pump .time will tell . I have a 24 year old Shurflo pump on our water distiller to bring water into house at kitchen sink and refrigerator and it is horizontal.Never had a problem with it . Knock on wood . Pat
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Don't really know if this will make any improvement, but I changed this last 4 th pump to be horizontal instead of vertical . I added a accumulator tank and the longer silencing hoses . At this point I am looking for any solution . I do also carry a new spare pump .time will tell . I have a 24 year old Shurflo pump on our water distiller to bring water into house at kitchen sink and refrigerator and it is horizontal.Never had a problem with it . Knock on wood . Pat
The tire system we bought is 507 RV , non flo through sensors . Been very happy with system so far . Thankyou Tractors 1(Charley). Pat
Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
How does a flat tire become the fault of the tire manufacturer. ?
( Blowout being the possible exception )
I 've had more tires ( vehicle and trailer ) lose air from leaking valve stems and bad / corroded rims then any other cause.
My Carlisle tire lost 2 - 3 PSI over last winter ( 7 months ) which I find quite acceptable.
Steve I guess we are am spoiled . We only buy Michelins for our vehicles .We don't get flats . The Carlisles was in year 1 . We don't drive on bad roads . Losing air in tires was unacceptable monthly . We had a long trip coming up and didn't trust the Carlisles, so replaced them before we should of needed. I will say though the Carlisles tires Escape puts on are a lot better then what other trailer manufacturers use . Since Costco installed new stems maybe that was the problem of leaking air . Everyone can have different experiences, that was ours . Our new Subaru came with Yokohama 's . Same issues as the Carlisles.repaced early with Michelins . Pat
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I check my tire pressure before every trip (and sometimes during trips) and have found that the Escape supplied tires/wheels have lost less than about 1 psi per year for the past 4 yrs. That is good enough for me.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I've done this on all my tires, car, truck, trailer. Went to an auto parts store and bought the metal valve stem caps with neoprene seals in the tops. All my tires hold air pressure just fine.