Anyone with high lift axle on their Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Anyone with high lift axle on their Escape?

Going through my build list for an Escape 19 ready in mid-August. I plan on boon docking on some moderately rough roads where ground clearance could be an issue. How much does the high lift axle raise the trailer? With the trailer elevated, does it tend to ‘sway’ more than usual while traveling? Does the raised position require that the hitch height on the towing vehicle need adjusting?
I plan on towing the 19 with a 2015 Tacoma 4WD V6 with the factory tow package. Measured the height of the hitch from the ground to the bottom of the hitch receiver (with approximately 250 lbs. in pickup bed) and was exactly 15 inches. I will be using a weight distribution hitch and antisway bars. Does anyone with the high lift axle see any issues with that height? Would the pickup need more height to make it work? Thanks in advance!

Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
How much does the high lift axle raise the trailer?
High lift raises the trailer ~2 5/8” (but not the axle).

Quote:
With the trailer elevated, does it tend to ‘sway’ more than usual while traveling?
No.

Quote:
Does the raised position require that the hitch height on the towing vehicle need adjusting?
Yes.

Quote:
I plan on towing the 19 with a 2015 Tacoma 4WD V6 with the factory tow package. Measured the height of the hitch from the ground to the bottom of the hitch receiver (with approximately 250 lbs. in pickup bed) and was exactly 15 inches. I will be using a weight distribution hitch and antisway bars. Does anyone with the high lift axle see any issues with that height? Would the pickup need more height to make it work?

That might be close. Ball height for a 19 is approximately 19” measured at the top of the ball, not counting the 2 5/8” extra for the high lift. Of course, final ball height also depends on how much your rear suspension sags with tongue weight.

If you buy your WDH setup from ETI along with the trailer, it includes all of the parts, and they set it up so it’s ready and done when you drive away, easy peasy.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Shclifrickson: WOW! I really appreciated your response regarding the high lift axle—I’m going to stick with the standard axles. Thanks for giving me an approximate height of 19” on the ball height, I’m probably low on my rear axle on my Tacoma because I still got sand tube weight in the bed of the pickup—still expecting snow in the mountains early next week! I am having Escape do the WDH and sway bar on the trailer at pickup time.
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Shclifrickson: WOW! I really appreciated your response regarding the high lift axle—I’m going to stick with the standard axles. Thanks for giving me an approximate height of 19” on the ball height, I’m probably low on my rear axle on my Tacoma because I still got sand tube weight in the bed of the pickup—still expecting snow in the mountains early next week! I am having Escape do the WDH and sway bar on the trailer at pickup time.

Don’t let the ball height put you off from a high lift axle, as they’ll set it up with an adjustable tow bar/ball “stinger” so it’s the right height for whatever vehicle you show up with. Easy peasy lemon squeezie
Old 04-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Don’t let the ball height put you off from a high lift axle, as they’ll set it up with an adjustable tow bar/ball “stinger” so it’s the right height for whatever vehicle you show up with. Easy peasy lemon squeezie
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie? I thought only us kindergarten teachers said that! Or maybe that is your day job?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie? I thought only us kindergarten teachers said that! Or maybe that is your day job?

We have a six and an eight year old. I’m sure I learned it from them
Old 04-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We have the high axle lift on a 19 ft. Side by side with a trailer without, the difference is obvious. In every day use, the biggest difference is the step up, or down, from that first step. We've not yet been on roads where this would have made a difference, but I know it will be important once we get to sites I 4-wheeled into in the past.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19' Oct '18 towed by 2008 Jeep GC diesel
Send a message via Skype™ to Upfisk
We live down a really rough road and would like to visit Chaco Canyon someday. We have the highlift axle. On a previous f350, 4x4 the tow hitch was quite low. We had to flip over a 3" drop hitch just to get the hitch to the right height. That 350 could tow anything up any grade, but the hitch was at 15" or so. Don't discount the highlift axle just because a straight bar hitch won't fit.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
We are so glad we did the lift and since Escape staff set up our tow system - there wasn't an issue on that. We notice a difference on backing down our steep driveway - it is so much better - and we feel it helps on some of the rougher roads. BTW - we almost got scared off going down a back road to camp by forest service staff at Chiricuahua- but we had no troubles. I did duct tape our oven door just In case. Ran the duct tape behind the under sink and over and around wall between the bed. No damage like we had on our old trailer. The old trailer practically fell apart under like conditions. There is also a great handle to help climbing in - but that is only really needed if that side of the trailer is on additional blocks.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I wouldn't use duct tape or duck tape on anything I cared about. It leaves residue or tears up the surface on removal.
I use gaffer tape ( used in theatre and movie industry ) and even that has to be removed slowly, gently.
Haven't tried the new "no residue" duct/duck tapes available now.

I'm using bungee cords when required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fridge bungee.jpg (151.3 KB, 25 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote