Anyone with high lift axle on their Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Anyone with high lift axle on their Escape?

Going through my build list for an Escape 19 ready in mid-August. I plan on boon docking on some moderately rough roads where ground clearance could be an issue. How much does the high lift axle raise the trailer? With the trailer elevated, does it tend to ‘sway’ more than usual while traveling? Does the raised position require that the hitch height on the towing vehicle need adjusting?
I plan on towing the 19 with a 2015 Tacoma 4WD V6 with the factory tow package. Measured the height of the hitch from the ground to the bottom of the hitch receiver (with approximately 250 lbs. in pickup bed) and was exactly 15 inches. I will be using a weight distribution hitch and antisway bars. Does anyone with the high lift axle see any issues with that height? Would the pickup need more height to make it work? Thanks in advance!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
How much does the high lift axle raise the trailer?
High lift raises the trailer ~2 5/8” (but not the axle).

Quote:
With the trailer elevated, does it tend to ‘sway’ more than usual while traveling?
No.

Quote:
Does the raised position require that the hitch height on the towing vehicle need adjusting?
Yes.

Quote:
I plan on towing the 19 with a 2015 Tacoma 4WD V6 with the factory tow package. Measured the height of the hitch from the ground to the bottom of the hitch receiver (with approximately 250 lbs. in pickup bed) and was exactly 15 inches. I will be using a weight distribution hitch and antisway bars. Does anyone with the high lift axle see any issues with that height? Would the pickup need more height to make it work?

That might be close. Ball height for a 19 is approximately 19” measured at the top of the ball, not counting the 2 5/8” extra for the high lift. Of course, final ball height also depends on how much your rear suspension sags with tongue weight.

If you buy your WDH setup from ETI along with the trailer, it includes all of the parts, and they set it up so it’s ready and done when you drive away, easy peasy.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Shclifrickson: WOW! I really appreciated your response regarding the high lift axle—I’m going to stick with the standard axles. Thanks for giving me an approximate height of 19” on the ball height, I’m probably low on my rear axle on my Tacoma because I still got sand tube weight in the bed of the pickup—still expecting snow in the mountains early next week! I am having Escape do the WDH and sway bar on the trailer at pickup time.
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Shclifrickson: WOW! I really appreciated your response regarding the high lift axle—I’m going to stick with the standard axles. Thanks for giving me an approximate height of 19” on the ball height, I’m probably low on my rear axle on my Tacoma because I still got sand tube weight in the bed of the pickup—still expecting snow in the mountains early next week! I am having Escape do the WDH and sway bar on the trailer at pickup time.

Don’t let the ball height put you off from a high lift axle, as they’ll set it up with an adjustable tow bar/ball “stinger” so it’s the right height for whatever vehicle you show up with. Easy peasy lemon squeezie [emoji522]
Old 04-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Don’t let the ball height put you off from a high lift axle, as they’ll set it up with an adjustable tow bar/ball “stinger” so it’s the right height for whatever vehicle you show up with. Easy peasy lemon squeezie [emoji522]
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie? I thought only us kindergarten teachers said that! Or maybe that is your day job?
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie? I thought only us kindergarten teachers said that! Or maybe that is your day job?

We have a six and an eight year old. I’m sure I learned it from them [emoji16]
Old 04-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We have the high axle lift on a 19 ft. Side by side with a trailer without, the difference is obvious. In every day use, the biggest difference is the step up, or down, from that first step. We've not yet been on roads where this would have made a difference, but I know it will be important once we get to sites I 4-wheeled into in the past.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We live down a really rough road and would like to visit Chaco Canyon someday. We have the highlift axle. On a previous f350, 4x4 the tow hitch was quite low. We had to flip over a 3" drop hitch just to get the hitch to the right height. That 350 could tow anything up any grade, but the hitch was at 15" or so. Don't discount the highlift axle just because a straight bar hitch won't fit.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
We are so glad we did the lift and since Escape staff set up our tow system - there wasn't an issue on that. We notice a difference on backing down our steep driveway - it is so much better - and we feel it helps on some of the rougher roads. BTW - we almost got scared off going down a back road to camp by forest service staff at Chiricuahua- but we had no troubles. I did duct tape our oven door just In case. Ran the duct tape behind the under sink and over and around wall between the bed. No damage like we had on our old trailer. The old trailer practically fell apart under like conditions. There is also a great handle to help climbing in - but that is only really needed if that side of the trailer is on additional blocks.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wouldn't use duct tape or duck tape on anything I cared about. It leaves residue or tears up the surface on removal.
I use gaffer tape ( used in theatre and movie industry ) and even that has to be removed slowly, gently.
Haven't tried the new "no residue" duct/duck tapes available now.

I'm using bungee cords when required.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge bungee.jpg  
Old 04-28-2019, 11:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
This is just me, I would not take a trailer into Chaco. It’s not worth it. I camped about 45 min away with the knowledge that I’d come and go a couple days if needed. I arrived at the time the park opened and left while it was light enough to see the road. That one long day was fine for me but as I said I was willing to travel more than once.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 F250
Quote:
Going through my build list for an Escape 19 ready in mid-August. I plan on boon docking on some moderately rough roads where ground clearance could be an issue. How much does the high lift axle raise the trailer? With the trailer elevated, does it tend to ‘sway’ more than usual while traveling? Does the raised position require that the hitch height on the towing vehicle need adjusting?
I plan on towing the 19 with a 2015 Tacoma 4WD V6 with the factory tow package. Measured the height of the hitch from the ground to the bottom of the hitch receiver (with approximately 250 lbs. in pickup bed) and was exactly 15 inches. I will be using a weight distribution hitch and antisway bars. Does anyone with the high lift axle see any issues with that height? Would the pickup need more height to make it work? Thanks in advance!

I have the lift on my TA5.0. I am pulling it with an 2017 F250 2x4 I have had no problems with sway in most driving conditions. In a high wind the truck literally took over and made the necessary correction. In general I find it breaks well if I adjust the controller for changing conditions. It may depend on your truck, your features and how you drive.

Good luck
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Quote:
We picked up our 19 in November opted for the high lift axle as we also primarily boon dock and wanted to feel comfortable on rougher roads. We tow with a 2016 Tacoma 4WD V6 and had ETI install the E2 Fastway hitch. As this is our first trailer, we can't provide any comparisons to the standard height axle. However, we can say we are very happy with how it tows. We have logged approximately 4,000 Km so far and haven't had any sway or uneasy feelings.

Below is a picture from the day we picked up the Escape Pod that shows what the set up looks like. Keep in mind the truck bed was fully loaded with camping gear in the photo as we went straight from ETI to a camp site! Also, I think the 2016 Tacoma is a bit higher than the 2015, but I could be wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181130_111106.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	38757
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thinking we may want extra clearance on occasion we ordered our 19 with the high-lift axle. We tow with a 2017 Tacoma and E2 Fastway hitch. ETI set it up for us. Like GoCampBC, this is our fist camper so we have nothing to compare it to. So far, no complaints.
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
The high lift wasn’t available when we bought our 2015 Escape 21, so when the kit was later offered we went for it. We occasionally go down some pretty rough forest service roads PLUS we have the spray on foam insulation, which decreases clearance a couple of inches, so the added lift compensates for the foam and gives us peace of mind. We didn’t notice any difference in towing or fuel economy. The added 2 inches to our first step isn’t an issue for us, but maybe if you were barely mobile it might.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #16

Don't worry about the high lift axels, Our 2010 19 foot Escape has 3500lb. high lift axels we tow between Victoria and Yuma with no sway problems and have no clearance problems on logging or desert roads.
Ernieford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17A
We just picked up our 17a which I tow with a Tacoma. I do almost exclusively boondocking and travel around the west ski racing in winter. We stay on rough roads and BLM land whenever possible and just moved from an Aliner to an Escape a few months ago.
Get the high axle. Your grey water system, especially if you get the foam insulation, sits low to the ground. The high lift axle will raise that into usable territory for mild off roading. I am actually planning to put larger tires on mine to increase height a bit more.
As for towing, I’ve spent 8 years traveling around in my Aliner and our Escape with the weight distribution hitch hardly rocks or sways even on rough roads compared to our old Aliner with just the ball hitch.

Quote:
scottsady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
We have a high lift on a 2014 17" escape. Have had it on some very rough roads (Dempster Highway) and are glad we have it. Tow it with a F150 3.6L with a stabiliser hitch (Andersen Hitch). Have had no towing issues. Did put child safety clips on fridge and cupboards to stop them opening on crazy bumpy roads.
TheLonePine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 17B Escape
Another possibility minor consideration. Coming off the Quadra Island to Cortez Island ferry last week with our 17B, towed by a 4Runner, the ferry traffic attendant was on her knees hollering out “you have 2”, you have 1”...on your hitch. We have the lift kit and use WD, but not sway bars - sway has never been an issue.
Don
Dlawseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We have a 2014 19ft and have the high lift. We have been in Chaco Canyon several times with it and it was perfect.
One aspect is the angle of decline in the back. On our old trailer I snagged the bumper a couple times. We have never come close with the Escape. We like getting off road to more secluded and remote areas.

Chaco Canyon is well worth the visit. We have solar and travel in November. We were one of 3 campers in the campground. We would wake up to 20 degrees and be toasty. Our batteries would be about 60% in the morning. We just turn everything off and go hiking. It was always at 100% when we returned. The Escape is an ideal camper for boon docking and have never regretted our purchase.

I would definitely recommend getting the high lift axle. Especially if your ordering it new.
jetalkington is offline   Reply With Quote