Article about boondocking safety - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 09-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Yes, pretty common sense info. One technical error about 4" barrel length and hand guns being prohibited in Canada. They're not, barrels shorter than 4" are prohibited unless you owned them before the law changed. Ordinary handguns are fine, just lots of paper work and we don't get to carry them around. Only way they can go anywhere is in a locked box etc. to a shooting range.

I'm sure I'm not the only BC resident of a certain age, that when boondocking, remember that a family of 6 was slaughtered under similar circumstances. In the end though I guess everyone acts according to their comfort level.

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, it can get a little TOO serious sometimes. I like some of his suggestions, but having seen alot of public safety information over the years, I would place the vast majority of it under the category of common sense. Reading these kind of tips, if one were not careful, they could spend all their time worrying about 'did I cross everything off the list', rather than relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. That's the whole point of camping anyway.
Pretty much my take too. A fair bit of good info, with too much of it put into the form of fear mongering. These articles would scare quite a few away from every boondocking.

I have spent countless nights boondocking, and I can say for certain, that I feel WAY more safe while out there, then I do at home in the city. Sure, bad stuff has happened, but I would be willing to bet that the rate of occurrence is a lot less per night spent out, than that of staying at home.

The gun thing.......yeah, not getting into that.....again. :

2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I kind of think that it's ironic talking about the safety or lack of safety of boondocking. I chuckle every time someone talks about "camping" at a Walmart! Here you park a beautiful Escape trailer & TV overnight in a parking lot, with easy access to multiple roads. My fear is that someone looking for "quick cash" would see this trailer and think - this person has money - and burglarize you. I don't know if this happens, but I feel safer camping away from the locations where they put Walmarts!
Kevin & Barbara
Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything - Charles Kuralt
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yea, it does sound an awful lot like fear mongering. Maybe in the regions he frequents, the "bad guys" may be laying in wait for that unsuspecting camper, but at 100% of the places I have boondocked, I have had absolutely zero fear or reason to fear the "bad guys". I do keep a clean camp, pack away things when I am not around, and never leave anything of real value out in the open when I go away. But that is more my "style" of doing things rather than an attempt to thwart the "bad guys".

Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote