Article about boondocking safety - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: none
Article about boondocking safety

Found this in the Truck Camper magazine. Some very good advice!

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/n...campers-part-1
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Good reading.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
He makes some interesting points. Of course his concept of what is required to ensure boondocking safety is quite different from mine, and is likely a function of different places, customs, practices, and social circumstances from what we experience around here.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
"15. Don’t talk about or post pictures of your camper and trailer contents on social media or announce your destination or dates of being there."

Well I guess that about wraps it up for the Escape Forum...
Old 09-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
I read the above article and I think the authors point of view is a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. That being said after reading his article I think I will just stay home this weekend and watch TV . Not really but when we do boondock camping we usually go in a group. I think their alot to be said about safety in numbers.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
"15. Don’t talk about or post pictures of your camper and trailer contents on social media or announce your destination or dates of being there."

Well I guess that about wraps it up for the Escape Forum...
Robert,
I had to laugh when I read you post because I was thinking the same thing well reading the above article no more any kinds of camping forums.
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Robert,
I had to laugh when I read you post because I was thinking the same thing well reading the above article no more any kinds of camping forums.
Mark
Yeah, it can get a little TOO serious sometimes. I like some of his suggestions, but having seen alot of public safety information over the years, I would place the vast majority of it under the category of common sense. Reading these kind of tips, if one were not careful, they could spend all their time worrying about 'did I cross everything off the list', rather than relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. That's the whole point of camping anyway.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
they could spend all their time worrying about 'did I cross everything off the list', rather than relaxing and enjoying the outdoors.
It's enough to worry about the black, grey and battery monitors and if your levels are level and what temp the fridge is at. Don't need more things.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Trailer: none
Part 2 has been posted

Personal Safety - Carrying Firearms and Non-Lethal Self-Defense Tools
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Site Team

The first part about firearms is too personal and political for my use, but the remainder of the article has some excellent info.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, pretty common sense info. One technical error about 4" barrel length and hand guns being prohibited in Canada. They're not, barrels shorter than 4" are prohibited unless you owned them before the law changed. Ordinary handguns are fine, just lots of paper work and we don't get to carry them around. Only way they can go anywhere is in a locked box etc. to a shooting range.

I'm sure I'm not the only BC resident of a certain age, that when boondocking, remember that a family of 6 was slaughtered under similar circumstances. In the end though I guess everyone acts according to their comfort level.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yeah, it can get a little TOO serious sometimes. I like some of his suggestions, but having seen alot of public safety information over the years, I would place the vast majority of it under the category of common sense. Reading these kind of tips, if one were not careful, they could spend all their time worrying about 'did I cross everything off the list', rather than relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. That's the whole point of camping anyway.
Pretty much my take too. A fair bit of good info, with too much of it put into the form of fear mongering. These articles would scare quite a few away from every boondocking.

I have spent countless nights boondocking, and I can say for certain, that I feel WAY more safe while out there, then I do at home in the city. Sure, bad stuff has happened, but I would be willing to bet that the rate of occurrence is a lot less per night spent out, than that of staying at home.

The gun thing.......yeah, not getting into that.....again. :
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I kind of think that it's ironic talking about the safety or lack of safety of boondocking. I chuckle every time someone talks about "camping" at a Walmart! Here you park a beautiful Escape trailer & TV overnight in a parking lot, with easy access to multiple roads. My fear is that someone looking for "quick cash" would see this trailer and think - this person has money - and burglarize you. I don't know if this happens, but I feel safer camping away from the locations where they put Walmarts!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Yea, it does sound an awful lot like fear mongering. Maybe in the regions he frequents, the "bad guys" may be laying in wait for that unsuspecting camper, but at 100% of the places I have boondocked, I have had absolutely zero fear or reason to fear the "bad guys". I do keep a clean camp, pack away things when I am not around, and never leave anything of real value out in the open when I go away. But that is more my "style" of doing things rather than an attempt to thwart the "bad guys".

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote