Attention Amazon Shoppers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Attention Amazon Shoppers

I just wanted to send a warning out for all of the Amazon shoppers...apparently a huge scam is going on right now. A seller under the name of P.U. Products has hijacked a bunch of legit seller accounts and are selling things for super cheap and never sending the products. The Amazon seller forums are blowing up with sellers trying to deal with this scammer right now, so check the name of the seller before you buy. They are on the official Amazon Scammers list for this week.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/for...=0&sortBy=date
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I just wanted to send a warning out for all of the Amazon shoppers...apparently a huge scam is going on right now. A seller under the name of P.U. Products has hijacked a bunch of legit seller accounts and are selling things for super cheap and never sending the products. The Amazon seller forums are blowing up with sellers trying to deal with this scammer right now, so check the name of the seller before you buy. They are on the official Amazon Scammers list for this week.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/for...=0&sortBy=date
Yes, happened to me. Amazon made good on it right away, but I'm wary now of buying anything not sold by Amazon. Name was different on mine, though, so probably using other names, too. Until Amazon figures out how to stop this- if it sounds too good to be true don't buy it!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Site Team

We've all heard about "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Folks are just angry because they're trying to buy products that should cost around $300 and they're being sold for $59-$69. Well... duh.

I'm glad I'm at the point I'm no longer a buyer, but down-sizing. My local charities are scoring!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
We've all heard about "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Folks are just angry because they're trying to buy products that should cost around $300 and they're being sold for $59-$69. Well... duh.

I'm glad I'm at the point I'm no longer a buyer, but down-sizing. My local charities are scoring!
Mine wasn't quite that dramatic a savings- just a lower price by about $10. Since they are hijacking real seller accounts the seller ratings still look great- for awhile. I only figured it out when I checked the tracking and it said delivered- to SC! Contacted "seller" who told me what had happened, contacted Amazon and they refunded the charges.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm trying really hard to shop local now. Especially when it gives me an opportunity to physically see product. No more cheap junk because it looks good in pictures. It took me years to get this wise
Old 04-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Greed, the downfall of Wall St.....and many others.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
I'm trying really hard to shop local now. Especially when it gives me an opportunity to physically see product. No more cheap junk because it looks good in pictures. It took me years to get this wise
We also try to buy locally but the closest town to us has a population of only 83. If we need any thing outside necessities then we have to make a 100 mile trip (RT) to the closest town
(Pop 5000) Sometimes the internet is the only way to get something you want / need) because even in a town of 5000 many things are just not available. We find that major internet retailers that also have brick & mortar stores are usually reliable.
We are not looking for a CHEAP price but if you factor in the cost of driving many times buying online is less expensive
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I'm with Donna. It feels amazing to stop the buying cycle>
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Thanks for posting

Wow, we purchased a small household item this morning from the scammer. I have to wait 2 days to file the claim. No more third party sellers. 😠
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Site Team

I feel really bad about this. I've had Amazon Prime for several years and used it almost exclusively when outfitting Ten Forward. Bought lots of good stuff, successfully, from third-party sellers. Times change. I don't think I'll be renewing when it's time. Sigh.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Donna,
Is is tricky to stop Prime, I have been a member since 2006 and stopped it last month, too easy to impulse buy. Anyway, no refunds if it has been used since renewal date. But I complained and they capitulated. Back to $35 minimum and 5 day shipping. But Walmart and Sam's offers 2 day shipping now. So all is not lost.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Out of curiosity, I looked up P. U. products and they have rave reviews and 5 star ratings. Yet everything they show says "currently unavailable". The first two initials sure are correct. The joint stinks. Thanks for the heads up. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Thanks so much for all the great information, I will keep my eyes open. This sounds like such a dirty deal, I feel sorry for Amazon they built up a good busines and now crooks are taking advantage.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
Site Team

I bought Amazon Prime for myself as a Christmas present. Started it Jan. 1. It will hit for renewal on my AMEX card in December. I'll get it stopped before it renews.

Amazon is a huge, huge business. But I feel bad for anybody or any company getting ripped off. In the end, it will cost everybody because prices will need to go up to cover the loses.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked up P. U. products and they have rave reviews and 5 star ratings.
That brings up another important point about Amazon, particularly in the last year or two. Many of the products (legitimate products not scams) will have rave reviews but a closer look will reveal that these are fake reviews, posted either by the seller or someone in their employ. If you know what to look for it becomes pretty obvious. I remember a few years ago I bought an Android tablet on Amazon, based mainly on all the 5 star reviews. It was a complete piece of garbage, perhaps the worst electronic device I've ever seen. From that moment on I've taken many Amazon reviews with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
About two weeks ago I bought a bean bag on Amazon that was about half the price of other sellers. Total impulse buy. I was suspicious, but felt assured by the Amazon "A to Z guarantee". Turned out to be a scam and I got my refund. It's happened a few times on eBay as well. Yes everyone knows the saying, but sometimes the lure of a deal can be strong and is warranted by company guarantees for using their marketplace. As Robert mentioned, reviews have also been compromised. Any reviewer that says they got a product for free or at a discount is a red flag, and I move on.

Anyways, Amazon Prime has mostly been a great experience especially for outfitting an RV. That reminds me, its time for more Happy Camper!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Amazon Scam

I was wondering, I was pricing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller, I got a price of $125, $188, and $238.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have noticed another effect on Amazon. When an item goes out of stock at Amazon it will suddenly appear on another sellers site for 2-3 times the cost. It appears they are looking to catch an unsuspecting buyer. I have never purchased, at least knowingly, such an item so I do not know if the item is actually delivered.

It pays to do your research.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Full article in today's Wall Street Journal. Sorry, no link available but for those with a WSJ subscription or the News app on iPad/iPhone it's available.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Full article in today's Wall Street Journal. Sorry, no link available but for those with a WSJ subscription or the News app on iPad/iPhone it's available.
Here's the article on the WSJ if you're subscribed: Amazon’s Third-Party Sellers Hit By Hackers