Back from Chilliwack - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Back from Chilliwack

Texscapees - I don't have a picture of the hood, but I think the latest ones Tammy has posted on Escapetrailer.com shows it. When we got ours she said it used a carbon filter to remove smells and that most new RVs were using this type of hood. We open a window whenever we use the stove and turn on the MaxiFan.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

We have one of those hoods that recirculates the air through a carbon filter in our house and it is basically useless. I would like to hear Reece's thinking on this change because I respect his knowledge and experience. Without further information, I am inclined to get the old style hood that vents to the outside on my new 19' when it is built. It looks like it would vent under the awning, which is not so good for grease laden air, but should present no problem for steam. The other alternative would be to not have the vent hood installed and just use the Maxx Fan as required.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

I definitely like the exterior exhaust vent on our fan hood as I use it when boiling water
and making coffee in the morning (this keeps condensation to a minimum), it also does
a good job of getting rid of cooking smells such as bacon, fish and all those odours that
kind of hang around forever

I'm sure if anyone talks to Reace he could still use the vented style.
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kroeker
We have one of those hoods that recirculates the air through a carbon filter in our house and it is basically useless. I would like to hear Reece's thinking on this change because I respect his knowledge and experience. Without further information, I am inclined to get the old style hood that vents to the outside on my new 19' when it is built. It looks like it would vent under the awning, which is not so good for grease laden air, but should present no problem for steam. The other alternative would be to not have the vent hood installed and just use the Maxx Fan as required.
Harold,
The vent is on the back of the trailer rather than the front (under the awning) on the 5.0 anyway. Only problem with it is that you have to remember to walk around the trailer and unlatch the flap, or to latch it again before you hit the road. I wouldn't like the recirculating vent either.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #15

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
Harold,
The vent is on the back of the trailer rather than the front (under the awning).
On our 19, the vent is on the passenger side under the awning. Since Harold is getting a 19, I'd assume that is where it'd still be if he were to request the outward blowing oven vent.

It's been interesting reading the different comments and perspectives expressed in this thread. I would be interested to hear Reace's thoughts for the switch & pros/cons too.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #16

Trailer: All Escape(s)

When we came out with the 15', the kitchen in the Plan B is across the front of the unit and we could not use an exterior venting rangehood due to leakage when travelling in rain. I finally found non-vented rangehoods with a carbon filter which solved the problem. To provide ventilation the MaxxFan became a standard feature in all the trailers. There are several other manufacturer's that have the same setup and it made sense.....no extra vent hole in the side of the trailer....everything exhausts out the top. MaxxFan is usually running when cooking....right?

Alas...it did not bode well with our customers. We still use the same rangehood, however now we cut a hole in the back of it and plug the hole that would send air back into the cabin. The exterior venting rangehood is back.

There were only a handful made with the non-venting rangehood and those of you that would like to make this modification to your rangehood, I will mail you the exterior vent and a foam seal for between the rangehood and the trailer wall. Please email me rather than post that request here. Unfortunately the 15B will still have a non-vent rangehood.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Reace, I think I agree with your initial reasoning. To get any real air flow out the Escape, a window needs to be at least slightly open. Otherwise the fan is trying to pull air thru any small air leak - of which there are few in our double insulated 17B. We always at least slightly open a rear slider window when cooking. We always use the Maxx Fan which then pulls air across the kitchen and out the top. The range hook directs its exhaust into that air flow and then on out. After owning a Scamp with rivet holes everywhere I really like keeping holes in that beautiful fiberglass shell you crafted to a minimum. And if the weather is decent we prefer to cook outside anyway.

Of course, all that said, when I mention this to the actual cook in the family, I may be emailing you for the parts to make the change over!

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

Cafe Egg has no vent for the hood, and I second Reace's first statement! I am glad I don't have this extra hole in the wall. Cooking takes place outdoors anyways, and if I cook inside, the Maxx fan goes open.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texscapees

Rich - I'm glad the solar is working well for you & that you're happy with it. Sounds like you guys had a good amount of time to break in your new trailer & get a good feel for it. I'm guessing you'll be able to figure out ways to smooth out the crinkles that you've identified.
We traveled with the trailer for 25 days after picking it up in Chilliwack. We camped in many different situations over that time from no hookups and no facilities (other than the 'pits&#39 to full hookups (water, power, sewer, WiFi, Cable TV, pool, rec. room, etc...). We gave it a good shakedown "cruise" before heading back home. We discovered its strengths and weaknesses and evaluated them as they pertain to our travel habits. We found no "crinkles" that we can't live with or otherwise deal with. We're satisfied with our new trailer and look forward to many years of happy traveling and camping.

Rich

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/