Back from Oregon - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Back from Oregon

Just got home from a week's vacation in the sunny south. Overnight in Olympia, Washington and then down to Nehalem Bay State Park in Oregon. We saw the sun for a maximum of 15 minutes on each of two days. First day at Nehalem we got the tail end of that typhoon that hit south east Asia. It didn't just rain, it rained sideways, in great gusts. I had to make a mad dash out the door to lower the awning before it was torn off. At about 4am I got up again to close the rock shield.
Things calmed after that and it simply rained or was overcast, but with temps of 64F it was quite comfortable strolling through the puddles.
We had only intended to stay a couple nights and then head down to Lincoln City and Newport, but were enjoying the camp ground and proximity to the beach so we ended up staying the entire time.
A cruise, without the trailer, down to Lincoln City confirmed out choice to stay put.

The State Parks in Oregon are amazing. We had water and electricity, allowing us to use our oil-filled electric heater ( 800W ) as the base heat source. I set the gas furnace so that it only kicked in once in a while. Those who had made reservations were all corralled in the 'A' section, cheek-by-jowl, so we had to share the 'B' and 'C' sections with maybe six other campers at most. There were 34 sites in our section, with maybe four of them occupied.

The biggest problem we ran into was condensation in the trailer, since the Old Bag insisted on having the windows closed and all the blinds drawn most of the time. I have to work on that. Last night I opened the roof vent and fired up the gas furnace and then wiped all the windows down with paper towels ( she was asleep ) and opened all the cupboards.

I shall report further and post a couple more pix ( my camera suffered a stroke, so I have few ) in upcoming notes.

But, it should be noted that there are a vast selection of craft-brewed I.P.A.s available in Oregon and I think I may have tried them all, and that a half ( 500ml ) container of ice-cream that left Olympia at 10:30am this morning had only thawed enough to make it easy to scoop by 3pm. Its only companions in the freezer were four small freezer packs.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
Web Toad Oregon 1 .jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Back from Oregon

Hi Glenn

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

We were in the Okanogan when it dropped to -8 and ran
out of propane at 1:00 AM, we were at the Super Save in Vernon, 2 propane tanks
in hand when they opened at 7:00 AM.... but thats another story.

I find if we leave the Maxx Fan open it sure helps with condensation.
Remember the drier the air the less BTUs it takes to heat it....