Backup camera wires - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Who's looking at the road ahead?
I know this is meant as humor, but it is a good question. We found (my wife and me) that we could glance down while in forward motion and with a bright enough screen to be seen. We used it mostly when passing trucks to see that we were clear of the truck before pulling back in. Since the camera is on the back of the trailer, I knew if I could see the front of the truck, I was past it.

In addition, we actually used it as a backup camera while backing in to a site. It helped but I would have had to get out and look occasionally without my wife being behind the trailer and talking me in with the use of a pair of walkie-talkies.

I also used it for an occasional time when I needed to back up a short distance, like at a gas station to position to a different pump and wanted to be sure there was no one close behind before backing up. Worked great for that.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Wish this post was a month ago. Rather than try to adapt my wired Rear View Safety system that I had installed between the trailer & the RAV4, when I switched to the Tacoma I ordered a Tadi system with the 7" mirror monitor. Like you, I find it far to dim (even with the brightness turned all the way up) to be useful. It has a very heavy blue tint - I kept trying to peal a non existent plastic protector film from the face of the monitor.

Please post the non preliminary results before I make another mistake!
While I complained about the original blue tinted 7" mirror mounted monitor, I can't complain about the Tadi Brothers. After some discussion on the phone they offered a couple of solutions. The first, a less reflective, non blue 7" mirror monitor did the trick. (They offered to replace the second monitor with a dash mounted if I wasn't happy with the one they sent).

I used it on a trip to New England, and while the color is not as rich as that on my wired Rear View Safety system used with the RAV4, it is acceptable. I suspect the lack of "punch" to the color is the camera, not the monitor.

In any case, I'm pleased with the result and the company.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Thanks Jon,
That is nice to know.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I tried both the blue and non-blue mirrors and still found them too dim. I wonder if there is product variation in quality. Some seem to think they are fine while others like me could hardly see the image. In any case, I am fine with my separate monitor.