Backup camera wires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
Backup camera wires

Hi. We got the Tadi bros. backup camera from ETI and it works fine with two exceptions...we don't have a manual for it and the text/warning lines displayed on the monitor are upside down. That's a minor annoyance. The bigger hassle is the tangle of wires hanging from the monitor. Was wondering how other, more savvy travelers have handled this mess. I'm thinking of just wrapping them all up in some kind of Velcro packet.
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
Hi. We got the Tadi bros. backup camera from ETI and it works fine with two exceptions...we don't have a manual for it and the text/warning lines displayed on the monitor are upside down. That's a minor annoyance. The bigger hassle is the tangle of wires hanging from the monitor. Was wondering how other, more savvy travelers have handled this mess. I'm thinking of just wrapping them all up in some kind of Velcro packet.
The Tadi manual is marginal at best. Not much about use, mostly covers installation.
Is the image upside down or just the lines? The image can be inverted using one of the buttons on the monitor. If that is not the problem, call Tadi Bros. They are responsive. The tangle of wires is a "problem." I wire tied them together and bundled them in plastic wireloom I bought at the auto parts store. But I was using my Tadi as a rearview camera, not just a backup camera and I kept having dropouts going down the road. So I solved that problem by buying a Voyager system. Since the transmitter is built into the camera and the receiver is built into the monitor, there is no tangle of wires. Voila! Both problems solved.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I solved that problem by buying a Voyager system. Since the transmitter is built into the camera and the receiver is built into the monitor, there is no tangle of wires. Voila! Both problems solved.
What is the Voyager system? Is this from Tadi Bros? We get drop outs from time to time and it is annoying, especially changing lanes when arriving in a big city during rush hour.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Backup camera wires

You can feed the video into a wireless transmitter and view on your smartphone. I have one similar to the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P92HPTS..._eNllxb9K4CY9M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I use the TADI mirror-mount monitor; clips over the truck mirror. Video and power/ground are both fed over a single PS-2 (computer mouse) cable. Ran that from the receiver mounted on my rear glass under the carpet, the door sills, and up the drivers side windshield pillar (underneath the plastic cover) and across the drivers side visor. When I set up, takes 10 secs to pop the monitor over the mirror (which is useless when towing a big white box anyway.) 7-Inch LCD Mirror Monitor

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use the TADI mirror-mount monitor; clips over the truck mirror.
Have you found the monitor image bright enough to see? I got one of these at Christmas and recently tried it. I could barely see the image. I asked Tadi Bros about it and they suggested an exchange for one without the blue tint. So I got that, but I still can barely see the image in the monitor.

I had hoped to use it while traveling so I could see right behind the trailer, but I would have to focus too long on the monitor to see it to be safe keeping my eyes off the road for that long. If I hadn't gone to all the trouble to install it, I would try to return it.

On the cable, I installed some 3M clips along the headliner, windshield column, and across at the bottom of the glove box, and this keeps all the wire in place. I collected the loose wires at the end of the cable, and they are nicely gathered right in front of the 12v connection.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Have you found the monitor image bright enough to see? I got one of these at Christmas and recently tried it. I could barely see the image.
I found if you leave the mirror angle the same as without the monitor, the big white box behind you superimposed over the image will wash out the image. I turn the mirror monitor a few degrees toward the passenger side so the trailer isn't reflected. Only takes a few degrees and I can see the video fine.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The Tadi manual is marginal at best. Not much about use, mostly covers installation.
Is the image upside down or just the lines? The image can be inverted using one of the buttons on the monitor.
The image is right side up, just the lines and any text is upside down. Will call them.
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The image is right side up, just the lines and any text is upside down.
Wouldn't that mean that the monitor is mounted upside-down, and after turning it right-side-up you need to push that button that Carl mentioned?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Wouldn't that mean that the monitor is mounted upside-down, and after turning it right-side-up you need to push that button that Carl mentioned?
Ditto thoughts here!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I found if you leave the mirror angle the same as without the monitor, the big white box behind you superimposed over the image will wash out the image. I turn the mirror monitor a few degrees toward the passenger side so the trailer isn't reflected. Only takes a few degrees and I can see the video fine.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and I still can't see the image well. I estimate that the screen brightness is about half of that of my car navigation/ entertainment system, so it is not bright enough to not require me to focus too long off the road to be safe. When I return from my trip, I will contact Tadi Brothers and see if they can provide a brighter monitor. At this point, I will give up the (very convenient) mirror mount for a screen I can use safely.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Nash 23.5A, Escape 21 coming in March
Hi Charlie, I'm looking into getting the same mirror monitor you have. Like you I want to put the receiver near the rear window. Is the power cable that comes with the monitor long enough to put it near the rear window? If not where did you get your extension? The cable I have for the monitor that came with my camera from Escape are to short and I'm having trouble find a cord with a plug that matches the one coming out of the monitor
Thanks, Kevin
Baca56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca56 View Post
Hi Charlie, I'm looking into getting the same mirror monitor you have. Like you I want to put the receiver near the rear window. Is the power cable that comes with the monitor long enough to put it near the rear window? If not where did you get your extension? The cable I have for the monitor that came with my camera from Escape are to short and I'm having trouble find a cord with a plug that matches the one coming out of the monitor
Thanks, Kevin
Promise not to laugh? After MUCH investigation I finally discovered that the cable from the receiver to the monitor that the TADI system uses is actually a long PS/2 computer mouse cable. Who'd a thunk it? Think I bought a 15 foot extension:

PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Cables

I ran mine from the wireless receiver on the rear window up to the front drivers side corner (tucked under the door sill covers) then up through the dash plastic and window pillow cover to the drivers side visor. When I pop the monitor over the mirror, it's a simple and neat one-cable connection.

I ran a 12V supply line back to behind the rear seat where I put in a dual 12V plug outlet; one for the camera and one powers the tire pressure monitoring system also mounted on the back glass.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and I still can't see the image well. I estimate that the screen brightness is about half of that of my car navigation/ entertainment system, so it is not bright enough to not require me to focus too long off the road to be safe. When I return from my trip, I will contact Tadi Brothers and see if they can provide a brighter monitor. At this point, I will give up the (very convenient) mirror mount for a screen I can use safely.
I contacted Tadi Brothers and they suggested that I replace the mirror based monitor with a 7" monitor without a mirror. Preliminary testing seems to show that it will work for me. I'll know more on my next trip soon.

Meanwhile, I have the old mirror based monitor. Tadi didn't want me to return it to them. If someone wants it for the cost of shipping, PM me.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I contacted Tadi Brothers and they suggested that I replace the mirror based monitor with a 7" monitor without a mirror. Preliminary testing seems to show that it will work for me. I'll know more on my next trip soon.

Meanwhile, I have the old mirror based monitor. Tadi didn't want me to return it to them. If someone wants it for the cost of shipping, PM me.
Wish this post was a month ago. Rather than try to adapt my wired Rear View Safety system that I had installed between the trailer & the RAV4, when I switched to the Tacoma I ordered a Tadi system with the 7" mirror monitor. Like you, I find it far to dim (even with the brightness turned all the way up) to be useful. It has a very heavy blue tint - I kept trying to peal a non existent plastic protector film from the face of the monitor.

Please post the non preliminary results before I make another mistake!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Maybe TADI has a bad batch of mirror monitors? Mine works great in a Tacoma, so I don't think it's an ambient light issue. Everybody has different eyeballs, too.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I kept trying to peal a non existent plastic protector film from the face of the monitor.

Tadi Brothers have two versions, one with the blue tint and one without. I tried both and neither was visible enough for me.

I will let you know after my next trip how it works for me, within the next few weeks.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21
We tried the mirror monitor, useless as a monitor. Reviewed it on Amazon
Tadibrothers 7 Inch Mirror with Bluetooth and Wireless 120° RV Backup Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MSA8BQA..._yVWDxb4BBHQRY
They contacted me and overnighted a replacement while we were on the road. The new one is much better. Couldn't tell you the model the box looked generic. We are happy with the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Wish this post was a month ago. Rather than try to adapt my wired Rear View Safety system that I had installed between the trailer & the RAV4, when I switched to the Tacoma I ordered a Tadi system with the 7" mirror monitor. Like you, I find it far to dim (even with the brightness turned all the way up) to be useful. It has a very heavy blue tint - I kept trying to peal a non existent plastic protector film from the face of the monitor.

The "final" results are that I used the Tadi Brothers 7" monitor (not the mirror one) mounted just above my Jeep's cup holders and it did very well on our recent 3 week trip. I had a mount meant for my WeBoost and adapted it for the monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
20160812_131508.jpg  
Old 08-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
The "final" results are that I used the Tadi Brothers 7" monitor (not the mirror one) mounted just above my Jeep's cup holders and it did very well on our recent 3 week trip. I had a mount meant for my WeBoost and adapted it for the monitor.
Who's looking at the road ahead?