Backup camera wires - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
Backup camera wires

Hi. We got the Tadi bros. backup camera from ETI and it works fine with two exceptions...we don't have a manual for it and the text/warning lines displayed on the monitor are upside down. That's a minor annoyance. The bigger hassle is the tangle of wires hanging from the monitor. Was wondering how other, more savvy travelers have handled this mess. I'm thinking of just wrapping them all up in some kind of Velcro packet.

Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
Hi. We got the Tadi bros. backup camera from ETI and it works fine with two exceptions...we don't have a manual for it and the text/warning lines displayed on the monitor are upside down. That's a minor annoyance. The bigger hassle is the tangle of wires hanging from the monitor. Was wondering how other, more savvy travelers have handled this mess. I'm thinking of just wrapping them all up in some kind of Velcro packet.
The Tadi manual is marginal at best. Not much about use, mostly covers installation.
Is the image upside down or just the lines? The image can be inverted using one of the buttons on the monitor. If that is not the problem, call Tadi Bros. They are responsive. The tangle of wires is a "problem." I wire tied them together and bundled them in plastic wireloom I bought at the auto parts store. But I was using my Tadi as a rearview camera, not just a backup camera and I kept having dropouts going down the road. So I solved that problem by buying a Voyager system. Since the transmitter is built into the camera and the receiver is built into the monitor, there is no tangle of wires. Voila! Both problems solved.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I solved that problem by buying a Voyager system. Since the transmitter is built into the camera and the receiver is built into the monitor, there is no tangle of wires. Voila! Both problems solved.
What is the Voyager system? Is this from Tadi Bros? We get drop outs from time to time and it is annoying, especially changing lanes when arriving in a big city during rush hour.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Backup camera wires

You can feed the video into a wireless transmitter and view on your smartphone. I have one similar to the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P92HPTS..._eNllxb9K4CY9M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I use the TADI mirror-mount monitor; clips over the truck mirror. Video and power/ground are both fed over a single PS-2 (computer mouse) cable. Ran that from the receiver mounted on my rear glass under the carpet, the door sills, and up the drivers side windshield pillar (underneath the plastic cover) and across the drivers side visor. When I set up, takes 10 secs to pop the monitor over the mirror (which is useless when towing a big white box anyway.) 7-Inch LCD Mirror Monitor

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use the TADI mirror-mount monitor; clips over the truck mirror.
Have you found the monitor image bright enough to see? I got one of these at Christmas and recently tried it. I could barely see the image. I asked Tadi Bros about it and they suggested an exchange for one without the blue tint. So I got that, but I still can barely see the image in the monitor.

I had hoped to use it while traveling so I could see right behind the trailer, but I would have to focus too long on the monitor to see it to be safe keeping my eyes off the road for that long. If I hadn't gone to all the trouble to install it, I would try to return it.

On the cable, I installed some 3M clips along the headliner, windshield column, and across at the bottom of the glove box, and this keeps all the wire in place. I collected the loose wires at the end of the cable, and they are nicely gathered right in front of the 12v connection.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Have you found the monitor image bright enough to see? I got one of these at Christmas and recently tried it. I could barely see the image.
I found if you leave the mirror angle the same as without the monitor, the big white box behind you superimposed over the image will wash out the image. I turn the mirror monitor a few degrees toward the passenger side so the trailer isn't reflected. Only takes a few degrees and I can see the video fine.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The Tadi manual is marginal at best. Not much about use, mostly covers installation.
Is the image upside down or just the lines? The image can be inverted using one of the buttons on the monitor.
The image is right side up, just the lines and any text is upside down. Will call them.
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The image is right side up, just the lines and any text is upside down.
Wouldn't that mean that the monitor is mounted upside-down, and after turning it right-side-up you need to push that button that Carl mentioned?
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Wouldn't that mean that the monitor is mounted upside-down, and after turning it right-side-up you need to push that button that Carl mentioned?
Ditto thoughts here!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com