Barbeques - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We picked up a Napoleon at Costco in Nanaimo a few years ago, and it works well. the legs fold in, and it fits into a carry bag. Canadian product, just another option.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Does anybody have an experience with the Camp Chef stoves and grill boxes? I was looking for a stove that works off the low pressure connect and ran across these. I was thinking I'd order one, along with the grill box, and try it out this summer.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have heard some good things about them, Doug. I too want to get a stove for low pressure usage, and preferably on that can be converted back easily too. I say buy one, give it a good go, and report back with how well it performed.

For me, one of the biggest things I want in a new campstove, other than being low pressure adaptable, is to find one that has good controls, and can be turned down to a real low simmer with no problem. I am getting sick and tired of turning a Coleman down to almost out, and when I let go of the control, the flame jumps back up higher again.

Not as small as a Coleman, but this one looks good. Click on photo to open link.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yup, barring any strong negative feedback I run across, I will likely go ahead with the Camp Chef purchase. The one thing holding me back is that I can't find a place that will ship the stove I want to Canada. So I'm waiting on better weather to do a road trip south of the border.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #45

Trailer: none
costco.ca seems to have the 3 burners camp chefs available
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Yup, barring any strong negative feedback I run across, I will likely go ahead with the Camp Chef purchase. The one thing holding me back is that I can't find a place that will ship the stove I want to Canada. So I'm waiting on better weather to do a road trip south of the border.
Hi Doug here is a link Costco.ca sells Camp Chef.

Camp Chef Denali 3x Triple Burner Camp Stove

This 3 burner collapes down into its own carrying bag and runs on low pressure.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #47

That 3 burner does look great, but with the BBQ, we really would not need the extra burner. I was even wondering at the size of the 2 burner I linked to, and where I would stow it. Plus, the 3 burner is 71 lbs, vs the 33 lbs (which is still heavy), for the 2-burner.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #48

yes, the 3 burner is a behemoth. i wonder if the cast iron dutch oven makes a significant contribution to the overall weight.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #49

Different name then the one I linked to, but it looks the same, with the same specs. Available at amazon.ca.
http://www.amazon.ca/Camp-Chef-Sport...amp+chef+stove

Backcountry.com delivers to Canda. I have bought there may times with great service.
Camp Chef Weekender 2 Burner Sport Stove | Backcountry.com

Way cheaper at Walmart in the US
Camp Chef DJ60LW Weekender 2-Burner Stove - Walmart.com
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargofool View Post
yes, the 3 burner is a behemoth. i wonder if the cast iron dutch oven makes a significant contribution to the overall weight.
I bet you are right that the dutch oven adds to the weight, and they are not light. Still, these stoves use cast iron burners, not the stamped steel like Coleman uses nowadays.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #51

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Jim, I have this stove and don't like or use it for two reasons; the flame easily blows out when there is a little wind and it is way too hot for typical cooking. Instead I use the Camp Chef Everest model with two high pressure burners that are very temperature adjustable and never blow out no matter what the wind is like.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have heard some good things about them, Doug. I too want to get a stove for low pressure usage, and preferably on that can be converted back easily too. I say buy one, give it a good go, and report back with how well it performed.

For me, one of the biggest things I want in a new campstove, other than being low pressure adaptable, is to find one that has good controls, and can be turned down to a real low simmer with no problem. I am getting sick and tired of turning a Coleman down to almost out, and when I let go of the control, the flame jumps back up higher again.

Not as small as a Coleman, but this one looks good. Click on photo to open link.

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Jim, I have this stove and don't like or use it for two reasons; the flame easily blows out when there is a little wind and it is way too hot for typical cooking. Instead I use the Camp Chef Everest model with two high pressure burners that are very temperature adjustable and never blow out no matter what the wind is like.

Steve
I had heard in reviews that it was a bit wind sensitive, but also that it could be turned down nice to simmer. Did you find this to be a problem? I know the Colemans are terrible for that.

I did look at the Everest, and did read lots of good things about it. I don't think there is a way to hook it up to low pressure, unless they have an adapter for where the regulator screws on. I looked hard at doing this with a Coleman, but pretty much came to a dead end everywhere I tried to look for parts.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #53

[QUOTE=I looked hard at doing this with a Coleman, but pretty much came to a dead end everywhere I tried to look for parts.[/QUOTE]

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...sure-1179.html

this thread says the coleman needs a higher pressure than the typical pressure on the external quick connections.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargofool View Post
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...sure-1179.html

this thread says the coleman needs a higher pressure than the typical pressure on the external quick connections.
That is because it regulates the pressure to a lower one. What I was hoping to do was to bypass this regulator.

I do have an extra one, but the fitting needed to adapt to the knurled attachment piece is not a standard size. I have thought of trying to flare the tube, and using a flare fitting.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #55

oh, sorry, i was picturing the problem as: bypassing the coleman regulator, supplying the coleman with 11" water column, would not work because the coleman needed the 16" or whatever to operate properly, even if you could find a fitting for connecting propane hose direct to stove............mea culpa.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #56

No worries. In my searching for a solution, I found lots of others that hit dead ends, but did find one guy who jury rigged something that worked, but I can't seem to find that again. Probably easier to just buy one the has low pressure capability anyway.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #57

Quote:
I had heard in reviews that it was a bit wind sensitive, but also that it could be turned down nice to simmer. Did you find this to be a problem? I know the Colemans are terrible for that.

I did look at the Everest, and did read lots of good things about it. I don't think there is a way to hook it up to low pressure, unless they have an adapter for where the regulator screws on. I looked hard at doing this with a Coleman, but pretty much came to a dead end everywhere I tried to look for parts.
The big low pressure stove did not stay lit well on the low (simmer) setting. I used it about ten times then gave up. The Everest won't work on low pressure but I made a hose setup to connect to one of the trailer bottles with a tee. It is one great stove...stays lit, easy to adjust, easy to clean, fairly small and easy to store.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #58

From what I remember, the final pressure after the regulator on these high pressure stoves is much higher ( I think it is around 11psi) than the low pressure system in our trailers. If you were able to make the connection to the high pressure stove from the trailer you wouldn't supply enough pressure for the stove to work properly.

Quote:
That is because it regulates the pressure to a lower one. What I was hoping to do was to bypass this regulator.

I do have an extra one, but the fitting needed to adapt to the knurled attachment piece is not a standard size. I have thought of trying to flare the tube, and using a flare fitting.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Does anybody have an experience with the Camp Chef stoves and grill boxes? I was looking for a stove that works off the low pressure connect and ran across these. I was thinking I'd order one, along with the grill box, and try it out this summer.
When did you need it for in the summer Doug? We have an address in the US two miles south of us, you could send it there and we could try it out when we get our trailer, and deliver it to you in July when we might be in Kemptville

Oh, guess you'd like it sooner and NOT used - too bad
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You could always bring it inside where there is no wind. (?) Oh, never mind.... You already got a stove in there.