Barbeques - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #141

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've had a Broil King Porta Chef and been very happy with it. But, I chose not to get the new model because I'm concerned about all the bits and pieces ( my buddy has one ). I just know I would break or misplace one of them rendering the Q useless.
Went with the spendy Dickinson Spitfire 180. It has an optional low-pressure regulator, but I just use it off a 10 lb. bottle.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #142

Trailer: 2012 15-A
I second the Spitfire 180 as well. Got it in May and it is a lovely BBQ. I also work off a small 5 lb propane bottle versus the LPG regulator they offer.

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #143

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
PGDriver- I read your post much earlier in this thread, with the picture, about the Broil King Porta Chef hooking directly into the low pressure system on the Escape. Does that require any special adapter or are all Porta chef's low pressure ready? I was advised today at a Camping World outlet that the low pressure system in the RV is too low for regular "high pressure" Bar B Q's and you need to use a "low pressure" Bar B Q.
I have a Porta-Chef. This is a low-pressure grill, with the low-pressure propane supplied by a regulator mounted on the tank end of the stock grill-to-tank hose. To use it with a low-pressure propane outlet on the trailer, that hose is replaced with one that just has a quick-connect fitting (and no regulator) on the end. You don't add an adapter, you replace the hose assembly.

I have not done the replacement, because I don't have a low-pressure outlet. I just feed it from the high-pressure supply at the tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #144

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I just got a Spitfire 180, and the low pressure reg. and it works off the quick connect under the trailer. The 20' hose is great too. No more little green bottles... unless it's beer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've had a Broil King Porta Chef and been very happy with it. But, I chose not to get the new model because I'm concerned about all the bits and pieces ( my buddy has one ). I just know I would break or misplace one of them rendering the Q useless.
All what bits and pieces? The Pro version has stuff hanging off the sides, but the regular Porta-Chef is about as simple as a grill can be.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #146

My buddy's had legs to attach and shelves and there were a bunch of small bits that fit in special slots for storage. All I know is there were too many pieces for me. My old Porta Chef had four legs to attach, and that's all.
I've had two Porta Chef, a full size Broil King ( that I replaced with a 5-burner plus side burner Weber), a Weber Q that I'm trying to get my daughter to take home so I have more space, and this Dickinson that, to date, I have cooked a single hot dog and a salmon filet ( Escape Rally ).
My buddy is Felix to my Oscar, so I know he will keep track of all the bits, where I would not. Can't honestly comment on the Dickinson, cause how hard is it to cook a hot dog?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #147

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Thanks all for your comments. That clarifies and makes complete sense. So you can use the Porta Chef with the hose and regulator that it comes with and use it with a bottle, or 10 or 20 pound tank- or you can remove that hose and regulator and get just a hose that connects to the low pressure system and directly to the BBQ without a second regulator. Am I correct in thinking that the low pressure required for most bar b q's is the same pressure as required for other gas appliances in the Escape ie fridge, stove furnace etc.?
thanks again
Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #148

Quote:
My buddy's had legs to attach and shelves and there were a bunch of small bits that fit in special slots for storage. All I know is there were too many pieces for me. My old Porta Chef had four legs to attach, and that's all.
That sounds like a Porta-Chef Pro; the simple Porta-Chef is stll available.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #149
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I really hate to rain on everybody's parade (tongue firmly planted in cheek), but this thread is mis-titled. You folks are talking about a GRILL -- not a Barbecue. Barbecue is kind of a religion here in South Texas. If it doesn't come off a pit -- with indirect heat and real wood smoke, it might be very good, and I'd probably eat it, but it ain't barbecue. And when you cook on either charcoal or gas, you're GRILLING, not Barbecuing.

Whew! I feel better....
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
So you can use the Porta Chef with the hose and regulator that it comes with and use it with a bottle, or 10 or 20 pound tank- or you can remove that hose and regulator and get just a hose that connects to the low pressure system and directly to the BBQ without a second regulator. Am I correct in thinking that the low pressure required for most bar b q's is the same pressure as required for other gas appliances in the Escape ie fridge, stove furnace etc.
Yes to all of this.
Using a little one-pound cylinder requires an adapter, sometimes called a "steak saver".
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #151

Not only do you feel better, but, you are 100 per cent correct, the Porta Chef and Weber Q and Dickinson are grills, and I feel better that somebody else said it.
I don't know that a portable BBQ exists, other than those that you would tow instead of towing your trailer.
I use my Weber Summit Gold D to do ribs, with only the smoker burner turned on. The other four burners are turned off.
There is no god, but Raichlen.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #152
Site Team

Quote:
Not only do you feel better, but, you are 100 per cent correct, the Porta Chef and Weber Q and Dickinson are grills, and I feel better that somebody else said it.
I don't know that a portable BBQ exists, other than those that you would tow instead of towing your trailer.
I use my Weber Summit Gold D to do ribs, with only the smoker burner turned on. The other four burners are turned off.
There is no god, but Raichlen.
Thanks -- he he he. We are ignorant of alot of things here in Texas, but Barbecue isn't one of them!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #153

I found a portable BBQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 8.33.21 PM.png  
Old 06-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #154
Site Team

Now THAT is a Barbecue. Even the name is a Barbecue name -- PITmaker...lol

But it does have a GRILL up front.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #155

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I really hate to rain on everybody's parade (tongue firmly planted in cheek), but this thread is mis-titled. You folks are talking about a GRILL -- not a Barbecue. Barbecue is kind of a religion here in South Texas. If it doesn't come off a pit -- with indirect heat and real wood smoke, it might be very good, and I'd probably eat it, but it ain't barbecue. And when you cook on either charcoal or gas, you're GRILLING, not Barbecuing.

Whew! I feel better....
Depends on where you come from... As a native Californian, we have always called it barbecuing, if it is cooked on what you term a grill.
BTW, a belated welcome.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #156

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Only in Texas could they turn something simple like a charcoal grilled steak into something that requires a 1 ton truck to move across the yard, 1/2 cord of wood, and 24 hours to make.

I do however seem to recall some of the best eats I've had being in Dallas, or thereabouts.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #157

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
BBQ for 17B

Just getting ready to pick up new 17B in a few weeks and have been looking for a barbecue I can hook to the trailer with a hose. Lots of good suggestions on the forum and other RV sites. I finally narrowed it down to a few including the Coleman roadtrip xle, Weber Q200, Porta Chef based on what people were saying and was ready to lay out about $300 to get a decent 2 burner grill. Anyway I found some info on an NXR portable 2 burner grill which looked interesting. Turns out they sold them in Costco in Canada for about $300, then discontinued them in 2014 and blew them all out for $200. I was lucky enough to find one on kijiji for $125. Looks great, nice heavy stainless construction, standard flare fitting for the gas inlet, nice solid stainless grill surface. Now I just need to get the right quick connect spec from ETI to get a 20 foot hose made up. It looks great so far will post an update after I actually use it.
Attached Thumbnails
BBQ.jpg  
hughharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #158

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That grill is at our local Costco- checked it out and though it looks great and has two burners I thought it was too bulky w/stationary legs. If you have the room it's great. Still looking, although my Weber Go Anywhere charcoal works great. Not sure why I want a gas one except I ordered the QC option, and I guess it's like home where sometimes it is more convenient.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 AM   #159

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That grill is at our local Costco- checked it out and though it looks great and has two burners I thought it was too bulky w/stationary legs. If you have the room it's great. Still looking, although my Weber Go Anywhere charcoal works great. Not sure why I want a gas one except I ordered the QC option, and I guess it's like home where sometimes it is more convenient.
Yes I saw them online at anywhere from $99 to $169 in the US but by the time you get them to Canada would be almost $300 so I thought this was a good deal. I think it is a great size and I can't cook without two burners so I think this will work for me.
hughharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #160

Are the burners front and back or side by side? A portable that you can actually cook indirect?