Barbeques - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #161

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Are the burners front and back or side by side? A portable that you can actually cook indirect?
The burners are side by side 10,000 BTU each, so yes you can actually cook indirect. And it has a decent grill area.
hughharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #162

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hmmm....might have to reconsider
Duro NXR Table Top Gas BBQ Grill | Costco Weekender
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #163

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is another consideration. Can you get parts?
I've never heard of this BBQ brand. I recently had my full size Weber bbq burners replaced under a 10 year warranty for free, shipped to my door.
Bought it from my brother-in-law who sells bbqs, hot tubs, furnaces and the like.
He constantly has people coming into his shop looking for parts for bbqs that they bought at some big-box store. The store that sold them the bbq doesn't have the parts, and neither does he. They don't exist.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #164
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Poor Costco. Still don't know the difference between a BBQ and a grill.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
well I've worked in the gas business for 35 years and I think I can tell an appliance that is well constructed, and this one is.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #166

Quote:
Keep up the fight!
I'm still offended by Webster and others that have given up and accepted that "careen" means to swerve wildly when it actually means to lean ( ask a sailor ). The proper word is "career".
Old 04-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #167

Has anyone ever seen on TV what Costco puts their vendors through? They may not have an extensive selection, however their buyers have a great track record for value. They also have one of the best return policies. For $99 how wrong can you go?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 AM   #168

burners

Just to follow up here is a picture of the side by side burners
Attached Thumbnails
bbq2.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Has anyone ever seen on TV what Costco puts their vendors through? They may not have an extensive selection, however their buyers have a great track record for value. They also have one of the best return policies. For $99 how wrong can you go?
I agree at $99 this unit is a steal even if it only lasts 5 years which it definitely will.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #170

Quote:
I think that show was about Walmart and how they drove Rubbermaid into bankruptcy protection.
No doubt, at $99 you can just toss it after a season or two, but service and parts is something to consider with anything you buy.
With Costco's return policy though, you really could take it back to them instead of sending it to the landfill.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:51 AM   #171

TV show was about toy vendors trying to make the cut with Costco.

Hearing of the issues with the fancy other brand grill makes me think this one will probably work great out of the box like my Camp Chef oven does.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:51 AM   #172

My daughter's fiance has taken stuff back to Costco and always gotten his money back.
So, when she bought a heritage tomato plant ( $10 ) that managed to produce one tomato, I challenged her to take it back. Really wish she had.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:06 AM   #173

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
A close relative witnessed a man asking for a refund for a 1/2 eaten turkey the day after Thanksgiving at Costco .... he got it!

Now why didn't I think of that?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #174

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
No reflection on the quality of this BBQ, as I have no idea on it, but the idea that anything can be returned, or replaced, does come at a price. It often takes well over an hour of ones time to do the exchange/return, especially given the drive time, and some of the long wait times. As I always put a value on my time, other than that spent on myself for relaxation, or that time with friends and family, it often costs more to do the transaction than the cost of the item, and is just not worth it. This is why I much prefer to buy quality in the first place.

Case in point, back when I used to build electrical substations, we used lots of wrenches. I had all Snap-on, granted inherited and I never paid for them, and lots of co-workers would go to Sears and buy Craftsman tools, including ratchets and sockets. Sure there was a lifetime guarantee, but when you went in almost once a year to have the ratchet replaced or repaired, the value decreased rapidly.

The other thing about buying quality, is that it is often much better to use, and performs better. Such as with the ratchet in the above example. It just did not have as smooth of action, both in ratcheting, and switching directions.

This said, I have bought fairly cheap with items that will see very little use. My only concern being getting the job at hand done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #175

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No reflection on the quality of this BBQ, as I have no idea on it, but the idea that anything can be returned, or replaced, does come at a price. It often takes well over an hour of ones time to do the exchange/return, especially given the drive time, and some of the long wait times. As I always put a value on my time, other than that spent on myself for relaxation, or that time with friends and family, it often costs more to do the transaction than the cost of the item, and is just not worth it. This is why I much prefer to buy quality in the first place.

Case in point, back when I used to build electrical substations, we used lots of wrenches. I had all Snap-on, granted inherited and I never paid for them, and lots of co-workers would go to Sears and buy Craftsman tools, including ratchets and sockets. Sure there was a lifetime guarantee, but when you went in almost once a year to have the ratchet replaced or repaired, the value decreased rapidly.

The other thing about buying quality, is that it is often much better to use, and performs better. Such as with the ratchet in the above example. It just did not have as smooth of action, both in ratcheting, and switching directions.

This said, I have bought fairly cheap with items that will see very little use. My only concern being getting the job at hand done.
This fits with my philosophy on spending money: "It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that is all. when you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better." John Ruskin (1819 - 1900) Thus the reason we have purchased an Escape!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #176

Been saying for some time that in our ever increasing competitive environment that you generally get what you pay for. There are exceptions to every rule though. And let's not forget economy of scale.

There is obviously a reason why Costco shares keep going up and why Sears may go the way of Radio Shack.

Consumer Behavior 101: Price is not the the biggest determinant in a consumer's decision to buy, but rather value is. And that is a classic case of Diffrn't Strokes.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #177

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Thus the reason we have purchased an Escape!
True, dat!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #178
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Been saying for some time that in our ever increasing competitive environment that you generally get what you pay for. There are exceptions to every rule though. And let's not forget economy of scale.

There is obviously a reason why Costco shares keep going up and why Sears may go the way of Radio Shack.

Consumer Behavior 101: Price is not the the biggest determinant in a consumer's decision to buy, but rather value is. And that is a classic case of Diffrn't Strokes.
I spent $700 on a Craftsman table saw last year and had the motor die 1 month out of warranty. After spending a month back ordered with no delivery date, I bought a new Delta table saw when I discovered not only did the Sears saw have a special mount as part of the motor casing, but I had to disassemble the whole thing to remove it! No more Sears power tools for me.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #179

Quote:
You meant Sears right? Has anyone ever tried to buy a major appliance there?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
well I've worked in the gas business for 35 years and I think I can tell an appliance that is well constructed, and this one is.
It is a solid unit, however unlike my Camp Chef that came with a regulator and separate adapter to place on QC hose one would have to thread the QC hose to the grill AND there is a notice that the regulator must be used which means using a trailer propane tank vs. QC. Called Ducor in LA and they said doing otherwise was "at your own risk". It also is just too big to store anywhere in a 21. Already have too much stuff in the TV, so still looking