Bathroom Storage Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Trailer: None
Bathroom Storage Question

Hi All,

Jessica and I currently have a 16 ft Casita which has served us well. However, we would like to go to a bigger trailer and have a small dilemma that I am hoping forum members can solve. I would prefer to move to either the 19 or 21 foot Escape, but Jessica favors the Bigfoot and it seems to come down to one defining characteristic - the bathroom.

Jessica does not like the shower in the Casita and has never used it. She also does not like that there is no storage in the Casita bathroom area as she likes to have all of her stuff at hand while preparing. I have added some extra storage to the Casita, but it is admittedly a pretty small space with little room for additions.

How have Escape owners solved this problem in their rigs? The Bigfoot trailers solve it well, but at a tremendous increase in overall towing weight. I really like the Escape quality and customer service, but need to make sure Jessica feels comfortable with this choice, as well.

Thanks!
Rick and Jessica
RMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I much prefer the smaller wet bath in the Escape, though a bit tighter with less storage inside the bath, it provides way more openness to the rest of the trailer, and room for more storage outside the bath, which is important to us. Granted, my wife does not bother with an preparedness, other than being clean, for going out.

One thing I might do if needed once we retire, and head out on extended trips, is to add a white plastic medicine cabinet to the bath. It could easily go on one of the interior walls, and one would just have to ensure that the door stays closed during travel somehow.

We rarely shower in our bath, in over five years I may have had 4 0r 5 showers, my wife 1 or 2. We mostly boondock, and saving water is a priority for us, so we usually sponge bath. If in a campground, we will mostly use their showers.

I know others like it, but I would gladly eliminate the sink in the bath. It is tiny and awkward to use. We just use the main sink for our needs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Rick,
So far all the bathroom items reside in a cabinet across from the bathroom. Keep in mind if mama isn't happy. no ones happy.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19'
Storage

Don't know what you want to store, but we have used mesh hanging storage that requires the suction cup hooks to hang it with. Now the suction cup hooks don't stay up for that long so we solved the problem by putting clear silicone sealant in the suction cup before it is applied. You can still take them down if you want to and the silicone just peels neatly off of the bathroom wall. Silicone has solved out suction hook problem in the bath with towel racks, soap dish etc.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Regarding the bathroom sink, I think it's only purpose is to serve as a convienient way to facilitate the shower head and associated water valves. My wife surprised me when she declared the Escape shower, "surprisingly easy and fine to use."
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We've never used the shower, and the sink maybe a couple of times, but on consideration I'd rather have it than not. It's a great place for soggy stuff, and I just know the minute I take it out I'd regret it!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My bathroom sink holds a plastic bottle of Lysol cleaner, a hair brush, an unopened toothbrush package and a roll of toilet paper. More toilet paper is jammed in the space between the drain pipe and the shower wall.
I couldn't do without it.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
CW has some storage items here Search - bath storage - Camping World
and in the 21' Escape you can have the bed/bath wall reinforced and install a medicine cabinet inside the bath on that wall. In the 19' Escape the wall behind the toilet/dinette wall can be reinforced for attaching a cabinet. Some owners here have made shelves also for inside the bath area. I try not to spend too much time in there, so my focus has been elsewhere.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #9

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
We have a suction cup basket for holding liquid soap and body wash right over the sink. Dust pan and brush besides the sink. We used the shower several times on our 5 week trip (campground showers on most occasions) and it found it an improvement over the sponge baths we took in our popup camper.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
What provisions are there for TP in the 21' bath? Let my suction cup holder go with Casita that sold yesterday. Kept the other suction cup holders for toothpaste and the like. Most of the big box stores have a good assortment of suction cup items for bath/shower.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a covered tp holder under the sink. With all the storage in the overheads in the 21' you will not want for space.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The 21 comes with a water repellant TP holder. Having used the showers in both the 19 and 21 there is no comparison. The 21 is vastly superior due to the amount of space. It is a much easier process of showering in the 21 because your movement is less restricted.

We find with the 21 we are less concerned about finding campgrounds with showers as it is such an easy process to shower. There are three of us using the shower and we found we needed to plan a few things, such as a "bath mat" upon exit and squeegee the walls upon completion. No problem with enough hot water, we have not done enough consecutive days to determine water needs but I would estimate at least three days.

Towel drying is something we have not yet solved, especially while travelling.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
In our old EggCamper we would usually shower in the campground facilities, but the new 21' Escape has such a roomy shower that, in the 25 night trip home from the factory, we used the Escape shower almost exclusively. We are trying to figure out where to put some towel racks so the towels will dry more quickly.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post

Towel drying is something we have not yet solved, especially while travelling.
Micro-fiber towels are great; much more absorbant and dry quickly compared to thick cotton ones. Also come with a handy loop built in for hanging on a hook.

Amazon.com : #1 Rated Travel Towel - MICROFIBER - Guarantee Bleed Free - Includes Hook : Sports & Outdoors

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
The 21' shower has worked out fine. I put Command hooks behind the toilet to dry towels. That also works out well. I took the clear shower curtain out, put in a quick dry curtain. I also divided it in half. I put up a strip in front of toilet across the top and hung the other half of curtain, so toilet and behind it does not get wet. They pull to side and tie back when dried. I used something similar in our Casita and was happy with the set up. Less water to go all over. We alternate using the escape and campground showers, depending on cleanliness of campground. The TP holder really does keep the paper dry!!
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Admittedly dumb question... What's a quick dry shower curtain? I see plastic liners, cloth liners, microfiber liners, and even one that's "a unique horizontal woven dobby striped fabric with a water-resistant finish that is similar to an umbrella". Which one is quick dry?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
The ones I get are sold at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They are hotel quality and dry almost immediately. They are not that expensive-it is kind of a sheer material. Holds up well.

I think they say hotel quality or quick dry on the package.

Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Admittedly dumb question... What's a quick dry shower curtain? I see plastic liners, cloth liners, microfiber liners, and even one that's "a unique horizontal woven dobby striped fabric with a water-resistant finish that is similar to an umbrella". Which one is quick dry?
My wife has used these "liners" in our house for the last year or so with no outer curtain. Water falls right off, machine washable and they have little suction cups about 1/3 of the way down and 2/3 of the way down to hold the curtain anywhere you want it. I imagine they would work well in an RV, although you might have to modify the size.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...shower+curtain
Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape
curtain rod holders

I attached curtain rod holders overhead at the right and left sides of the shower such as these:
http://www.amazon.com/Closet-Rod-Hol...in+rod+holders
The holders were attached with 3M double faced tape.
A extendable and rotate to lock curtain rod is extended between the holders. Plastic hangers are used to dry wet rain gear and towels.
A second set of end curtain rod holders was installed inside the cabinets on each side under the sink. The curtain holders are moved from the shower and extended under the sink to keep the storage baskets in place while traveling.
The curtain rod holders can be found in most hardware stores.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #20

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Micro-fiber towels are great; much more absorbant and dry quickly compared to thick cotton ones. Also come with a handy loop built in for hanging on a hook.

Amazon.com : #1 Rated Travel Towel - MICROFIBER - Guarantee Bleed Free - Includes Hook : Sports & Outdoors
Two towels are now on order.
Thanks for the tip.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote