Battery disconnect in storage - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I know panels loose some of their ability to produce as time goes by, they state something like "25 year warranty on >80% power output and 10 year warranty on >90% power output." in the specs.

I've never heard if that time frame is lengthened if you store the panel out of the sun for extended periods.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
If anyone is planning on storing the trailer in an enclosed area where the solar panel is covered, Reace recommends the following:

"If you can leave the trailer plugged in, that would be the easiest method. Having said that, plug the trailer in to shore power for a day or so to ensure the batteries are fully charged. Turn the battery isolator switch to 'OFF' and disconnect the shore power. Two or three times over the winter, plug the trailer in and turn the battery isolator switch on for a day to top the batteries back up then switch the isolator back off. The batteries will not freeze as long as they are fully charged."

Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Tom, In our 2017 21', the storage switch turns off the propane detector, as well. The only thing I can think of that continues to get on-board battery power while the storage switch is turned off is the power jack. Seems like there was something else, but I can't recall right now.
I just remembered! It only took me a couple days, but I did it! The other thing, that I couldn't remember previously, is the safety brake control box. So don't pull out that pin even with the storage switch turned off.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguezc View Post
If anyone is planning on storing the trailer in an enclosed area where the solar panel is covered, Reace recommends the following:

"If you can leave the trailer plugged in, that would be the easiest method. Having said that, plug the trailer in to shore power for a day or so to ensure the batteries are fully charged. Turn the battery isolator switch to 'OFF' and disconnect the shore power. Two or three times over the winter, plug the trailer in and turn the battery isolator switch on for a day to top the batteries back up then switch the isolator back off. The batteries will not freeze as long as they are fully charged."

What effect does the switch have on solar? Let's say you want to swap out the batteries. For example, I've read that it isn't advisable to disconnect the solar panels from the batteries.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The GoPower web site had these instructions for winterizing your solar equipped RV:

Solar RV and boat Care in Cold Climates
  1. Cover panel(s) with something that will not allow light to pass through
  2. Label your solar panel wires positive & negative; unhook your solar from your Go Power! solar Controller
  3. Put wire nuts on the positive & negative leads from the solar panel(s)
  4. Disconnect your batteries and store inside
  5. Check batteries at least once a month and charge if necessary

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Looking for 15b
We always take our batteries out for storage in our winters which can be snowy and get down to -27 c (-16 F) Are there other people in those types of temps and colder who leave their batteries in place and periodically plug in with no damage?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You'll have to look up the freezing temp of batteries but I think it's down around -50F if fully charged
I've left mine in for the 6 or so years with no issues. You may get a bit colder then us.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks

Wow! What great advice from so many of you on my original post. I currently have my solar panel covered, thanks Jon, and my batteries at home to be charge. There is no convenient power at the storage facility. I will eventually put the batteries back into the trailer and repeat the process throughout the winter. The question which still perplexes me is my batteries were at 1/3 full and 11.5 volts after one month of storage. Using the 50 percent rule, I not sure if I damaged them. Not sure how people are going 2-3 months. Again, thank you so much for your knowledgable responses. Very helpful.
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
A bit of a side note but sort of relates to the topic. I have just had to replace my propane detector that is under 3 years old that is supposed to have a 5 year life span. Of course could just be a poor unit and hope for better luck next time but it got me thinking ... I remove our batteries in the winter but once they are hooked up in the spring I leave the trailer master switch in the on position until fall as the solar panels just keep it charged all summer. I think I'll start turning the switch off when the trailer is not in use .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote