BC's Provincial Camp Grounds Rip-off - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #81

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
I think the best solution to all of the issues mentioned in this thread is to eliminate reservations and make all public camping, first come first served.
Now, having said that, I know it will never happen. Folks are too insecure to allow the possibility that their favorite spot won't be available when they arrive.
One result of that is the closest campers win. If I want to camp in Banff National Park on a weekend I will not get a site, because the Calgary residents will be there over two hours before I am (because they live over 200 kilometres closer) and they'll get them all. There are good reasons for reservations, and I wouldn't call it "insecurity".

Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I guess I believe that a reservation for an airline is free as is a court at a tennis club, not to mention restaurants, car rentals and so on. These reservations are free to cancel.If I bought an item and then changed my mind about it, I could return it.
They are free to make, free to cancel, and are not really reservations. If you show up at a car rental agency and your promised car is not there, that's your problem because they don't make any commitment to actually have a car available. Restaurants will take reservations for more tables than they actually have, because they know some people won't show up; if they misjudge, you don't get your table on time.

Have you ever called a restaurant to cancel a reservation? The people at the restaurant are usually very appreciative - it's clear that almost no one has the common courtesy to call and cancel if their plans change.

When there is no consequence to cancelling a reservation people will make reservations that they don't need "just in case", they won't cancel them when they decide not to use them, and reservations run out even earlier. I would find it annoying to make a reservation and not get the money back when I change my mind, but that's nothing compared to the annoyance of being unable to travel as planned because all sites were reserved, then finding out that some jackass wasted a site I could of used by reserving it and not using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
If I bought an item and then changed my mind about it, I could return it.
You can only return an unwanted item if it can be sold again at no loss to the retailer (or if the retailer has an overly generous return policy as a way to attract customers). If you tie up a campsite until a couple hours before the reserved time, then cancel it, you would need a time machine to wind back to when someone else wanted that site to be able to "give it back".

Old 07-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Those parks are part of your national heritage - and as Canadians, you should get the priority to enjoy them. They don't "belong" to the government, but to you.
Absolutely. Any good reservation system must be intended to provide fair access to all users. Of course there is likely to be a fee, both as an opportunity to cover costs from the people actually using the parks, and as a way to discourage reservations that will tie up spaces without actually using them.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
This is the way AZ parks were 3-4 years ago. You had to rip the kids out of school at the pickup line on Friday and race to the mountains to have a chance at a spot in the campground. If they were full had to try the next one and sometimes you would have to drive back home very discouraged. Now you know you have a campsite and you can go up at your leisure on Friday. Way better system than no reservation capabilities as it was before.
This makes perfect sense to me. The weekend rush out of Toronto got so bad that the exodus was starting early Thursday afternoon. That wasn't primarily a campground issue - it was people trying to avoid traffic.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
This describes speculatively booking sites for "resale" - not helping individuals make reservations as needed - and is absolutely unacceptable. Where's a vigilante hacker when you need one.
Quote:
The B.C. government is aware of the middleman campsite trade and isn’t worried about it.

“We do not limit commercial operators from making bookings since they play an important role in providing tourism services,” said Environment Ministry spokesman Dave Karn, who stressed the motorhome firms and their partners get no special access to campsites.
This is just garbage - speculative booking for resale provides no value to anyone, and only takes access away from those who should have it, for the benefit of the commercial operator. Karn needs to get a grip on reality.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #86

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
So, if people are booking and then cancelling close to their arrival date, has anyone had any luck checking the reservation system for open spots close to the date they want? As opposed to the day they open up reservations?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #87

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
They usually cut off online reservations a number of days ahead Laura. So you can't check online too close to the date you are going.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #88

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

You can only return an unwanted item if it can be sold again at no loss to the retailer (or if the retailer has an overly generous return policy as a way to attract customers). If you tie up a campsite until a couple hours before the reserved time, then cancel it, you would need a time machine to wind back to when someone else wanted that site to be able to "give it back".
Agreed but an unused reservation can be used (sold) again because it is unused. I'm discussing the event of cancelling a reservation several weeks prior to reserved camping time.

I doubt , other than the actual camping reserver (me), any humans are involved in the BC Provincial Camping reservation system .
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #89

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
They usually cut off online reservations a number of days ahead Laura. So you can't check online too close to the date you are going.
Hey Greg, thanks for that info. I can tell I have a lot to learn about all this. Dangarang, we sure do!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So, if people are booking and then cancelling close to their arrival date, has anyone had any luck checking the reservation system for open spots close to the date they want? As opposed to the day they open up reservations?
Quote:
That's a good idea, but I see two likely limitations:
  1. the people employed by the tour companies will be checking right up to that cut off, too, and will likely beat you to them
  2. since the reservation fee is so low, many people will not bother cancelling, especially if they think there is a chance they'll still use it