Bearing and seals - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Bearing and seals

Hi: gabe...Check in your owners manual. There's a section for servicing and I think it's recommended annually. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #12

Thanks, Alf. Of course, there is a law of the universe which states that when everything else fails, ..............read the instructions !!!
gabe

Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #13

Gabe,
Repack your wheel bearings yearly, also lube your waste valve seals. Check the battery water and clean the terminals. Check the DOT numbers on your tires and if they are 6 years or older replace them. Older tires have blown apart their are many posts about tires on Fiberglass RV Forum to read. If the tire says 50# Max run 42 to 45 pounds of air pressure.
Hippo
Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #14

Thank you Hippo for your advice. Two heads (or more) are always better than one head when it comes to safety issues. I'm wondering what you would use to grease / lubricate the valves you mention.
Thanks.
gabe
Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #15

Oh! Just one more thing. If the tires are rated for 50lbs maximum, why run them at a lower pressure. Forgive my physics (which is more than 40 years out of date!!!) but wouldn't the maximum rating allow for less rolling resistance and thus result in better gas mileage? Or am I missing something important here from a safety point of view?
Gabe
Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #16

Hi: gabe...On the tire issue cold pressure is rated max. at 50#s. That should allow room for expansion at warm hwy. spd., but I run 'em at 47 max. cold. So far ours are dated (1407) 14th. week of '07 and no signs of fatigue. I did have the valve stems replaced as they were the problem in most tire failures. All 3 of mine were cracked even the unused spare!!!
Another area for lube that most forget is the drain valve on the fresh water tank. You'll think of it when it's so stiff you break it off!!! A little mineral oil on a QTip helps keep it free and easy!!! Alf
Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #17

Thanks very much, Alf.
Engineers calculate the times, stresses, frequency etc for maintenance of systems on aircraft, cars, tires, machines etc. It has been my experience that if I stick to the schedules mandated by the manufacturers, then problems are kept to a minimum.
I have run my Escape tires at maximum allowed pressure, and so far everything looks good.

I have noticed, however, that the centre tread on my trailer tires is showing more wear than the outer treads. This is usually an indication that over-inflation is happening. But on the other hand, most tire failures are cause by under-inflation.........even minor under-inflation!!

So, am I erring on the side of safety? It's a good question.

Gabe
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #18

Hi: gabe... "To err is human...to forgive... That's an entirely separate question" I usually play it safe too!!! Alf
Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #19

I purchased an after market tire monitoring system for our RV. It's pretty cool, it gives you both tire pressure & temp.. after the blowout we got on the AS, we thought it best to get it for our upcoming Alaska trip.. I'll do a quick review on it..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
Thanks very much, Alf.
Engineers calculate the times, stresses, frequency etc for maintenance of systems on aircraft, cars, tires, machines etc. It has been my experience that if I stick to the schedules mandated by the manufacturers, then problems are kept to a minimum.
I have run my Escape tires at maximum allowed pressure, and so far everything looks good.

I have noticed, however, that the centre tread on my trailer tires is showing more wear than the outer treads. This is usually an indication that over-inflation is happening. But on the other hand, most tire failures are cause by under-inflation.........even minor under-inflation!!

So, am I erring on the side of safety? It's a good question.

Gabe
Hi: Gabe...I just had my running gear serviced at ElginRV. Bearings re packed, new seals, brakes and tires adjusted(50psi) $44. inc Tx. Alf