Bears and Trailers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I take bear spray into the back country, and have had it handy in the trailer. I probably would not bother myself, but it is some comfort to my wife who is a bit worrisome at times.

Like Cathy mentioned, I have kept something loud (like a pot and a spoon) handy when sleeping in tents. I have never had to deal with one when sleeping, but have had to chase off a few at other times though. Most bears I have come across are pretty skittish, and run off pretty quickly though.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I am NOT a dog person. I avoid them if at all possible. But THAT is the cutest dog ever!

Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I always make sure I have my cell phone with me when I'm in bear country!

Cheers,
Glenn
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
baglo, don't worry, you already lock the door.

A bear is the second reason we have our hard-sided trailer, right after the bathroom. I hear that there are campgrounds that only let in hard-siders because of bears and/or mountain lions.

Glenn, I have the phone, and Jim, I'm calling you with it because you chase off bears.
float5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Does anyone know about taking bear spray across the Canadian/USA border, the last couple of times we have crossed I have left it home. I normaly keep it in the trailer. We have only had one encounter with a bear and it was in Waterton about 10 years ago but it definatly changed my tune about bears. Before that I always figured that if you made lots of noise and were smart about it you were fine but we were doing everything right and it still very nearly ended poorly. So bear spray it is.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
Baglo, the idea would be to blast him BEFORE he gets inside! If he is inside before you are ready to shoot, you must be a really sound sleeper! Reminds me of when our friends accidentally discharged their spray in their VW camper - lots of drama! From my experience with the bear bangers, when they go boom, the bears run!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Glenn, I have the phone, and Jim, I'm calling you with it because you chase off bears.
I will give you a distinctive ring tone, so I know right away to come a runnin'.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevin View Post
From my experience with the bear bangers, when they go boom, the bears run!
I think it was a question of which direction they run.
As for the bear spray, do you think I'm going to go outside the trailer when there is a bear trying to get in? I'll be under the covers.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #19

My plan is not to leave the trailer! Simply blast him through the opening that he is attempting to enter through! With respect to the bangers, I as well have been cautioned not to shoot behind the bear, and I agree. However, having worked in the bush for years in my younger days, both in parks work and in mineral exploration, I found that it is such a loud, booming noise that echoes, in many cases it would not make a difference. The bears simply take off as fast as they can, they don't run at you and attack. It is not as if they only have two directions to go. The most important advice I can give on bears is that if you see one, and he (or she) sees you, talk calmly and back away. On two occasions I came across a bear, and they began to run away. I began to yell and wave my arms, and in both cases the bear slammed on the breaks, turned, and ran at me! Hence my experience, and love for bear flares! I don't believe I thought to much about which exact direction I was pointing at, but the point remains, you don't point it at the bear, straight up (ish) is best.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #20

My plan is not to leave the trailer! Simply blast him through the opening that he is attempting to enter through! With respect to the bangers, I as well have been cautioned not to shoot behind the bear, and I agree. However, having worked in the bush for years in my younger days, both in parks work and in mineral exploration, I found that it is such a loud, booming noise that echoes, in many cases it would not make a difference. The bears simply take off as fast as they can, they don't run at you and attack. It is not as if they only have two directions to go. The most important advice I can give on bears is that if you see one, and he (or she) sees you, talk calmly and back away. On two occasions I came across a bear, and they began to run away. I began to yell and wave my arms, and in both cases the bear slammed on the breaks, turned, and ran at me! Hence my experience, and love for bear flares! I don't believe I thought to much about which exact direction I was pointing at, but the point remains, you don't point it at the bear, straight up (ish) is best. I'm not sure how you would do this in a trailer!