Bedding? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Bedding?

Just wondering what people do for bedding?

We have a 17Band always leave the table up as a bed, we also have a 3" eggcrate topper. Have been using flannel sheets and a comforter. We need new sheets so think they'll be normal cotton ones--as I age I don't want the warmth....

Wondering about a double sized sleeping bags?? Just wondering if we went with something else maybe no topper (also may think about the "real" mattress?)

Would we be more inclined to take down/set up a bed everynight?
Glen, didn't you and Leslie start doing that as she wanted the bigger table?

I figure this may be my only way of getting a rear table trailer!!LOL

But, on another note we did have the extension made where we basically had a king sized bed--I did get tired of that set up and now sleep across the back of the trailer as originally bought...

Just want to hear others ideas and what they do..
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We just spent ten days camping and Leslie didn't mention making the bed into a table once. I guess she's forgot that idea. Problem is, if you do that, you not only have to break it down and set it up, but you end up storing the bedding at the other end of the trailer.

We have three sleeping bags. One is a two pound, one a three pound and a five pound. The 2 and 3 are the same brand and can be zipped together to make one large one. Depending on the night temp, we have the 2 on top, or the 3 on top. The 5 lb. generally stays on the bottom, between the cushions and sleeping bags, but, if it was really cold, could end up on top.
We had a foam topper, but found it was a pain to store when doing the table/bed conversion. It ended up at home, either on a bed or in the attic, I'm not sure which.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have to add that we don't have a problem sharing the bed as is, and there is a 20 kilo beagle taking up her share of space too.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
We use the bed extension in our 17B every night for sleeping, and so we have king sheets on the bed that we just tuck up during the day when we take the extension down.

If we didn't have the extension, I would totally do two sleeping bags, a lighter weight one and a heavier weight one, and then sew two flat sheets together on the bottom and 1/3 way up the sides as a sleeping bag liner and use that! If we ever get a TV that can handle a 19 (or my dream 5th wheel), we'll probably go that route. When I was researching I found there are wide Coleman ones that give you a bit more extra which would be nice since it's more of a blanket than a sleeping bag at that point.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With the 19 having a permanent bed, we were very happy to get away from sleeping bags. We use a set of sheets, and a down duvet. When it gets colder we add a heavy wool blanket under the duvet. I like to hang my feet out to regulate my body temp, when it is getting too high, and can easily do so with this setup. If it is real hot, I just throw off the duvet and sleep under the sheet.

I have put in thousands of nights in a sleeping bag, and for backcountry tripping I love them.

I can see where sleeping bags would be helpful, if you had to take the bed down every day to make it into a dinette though.

As for a mattress, the stock one we have put 5 years into now is starting to soften a bit much, though not too bad, but my shoulders and hips can press through when sleeping on my side. We will likely be looking at another mattress for next year. Just checking out the options now. We had thought of adding a piece of memory foam, but as pointed out to us by a 'bedding expert', the bottom layer should be quite firm, not soft like ours, to work well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you can find a "Travasak" set up get it, they are wonderful, one side is winter, other is summer and the sheets are washable. Sad to say no longer in production. But I found a set at Tuesday Morning last year.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I travel solo, leaving the rear dinette set up permanently as a bed makes sense. I replaced the cushions with a combination of gym mat, raked topper & 2" comfort topper. I use 3/4 sheets that fit the 48" wide bed well.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Anna-Marie: We have never once left the rear dinette as a bed during the day; Carmen loves the ambiance of that living space. We have been quite comfortable at night using a trimmed-down Costco 3" topper and a double sleeping bag. The minor conversion and storage hassles are worth the rewards.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
A replacement company for Travasak:

RVSuperbag.com

Kind of pricey, but we bought one (queen size) and like it a lot. So far only used the "summer side".
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 15B
We use a Travasak with our 15B and thoroughly enjoy it. It's easy to roll up and store under the dinette seat. We especially like the Summer and Winter sides, as needed.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Jim - Do you find that regular Queen sheets fit the mattress and, because of the lack of "overhang", did you use a Queen duvet or a Double?
Jan
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Jim - Do you find that regular Queen sheets fit the mattress and, because of the lack of "overhang", did you use a Queen duvet or a Double?
Jan
Queen sheets fit great, even though our mattress is only 5" thick (I believe). We do have a queen duvet, but a double would probably do fine, and be less bunched up. When we get our new mattress, we are planning to have it cut about 2-3" narrower to allow the duvet to at be tucked down the sides, and making it easier to make up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
A replacement company for Travasak:

RVSuperbag.com

Kind of pricey, but we bought one (queen size) and like it a lot. So far only used the "summer side".

We use a RVsuperbag too and love it. They are pricey but very nice. We had a full size in the Casita we used for about 3 years and just bought a new one for our 19'
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Queen sheets fit great, even though our mattress is only 5" thick (I believe). We do have a queen duvet, but a double would probably do fine, and be less bunched up. When we get our new mattress, we are planning to have it cut about 2-3" narrower to allow the duvet to at be tucked down the sides, and making it easier to make up.
Which brings me to yet another set of questions (don't 'ya love it ... ). Since you've had your mattress for about four years and are now buying another: 1) are you ordering a new one from Escape or somewhere else? 2) Would it be worthwhile to order a thicker mattress in the first place?
Jan
Old 09-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
In our 17 we have a double comforter--but in order to have "tuckability" with not a lot of bulk--I sewed on all four sides pieces of fleece...This way all four sides are neatly tucked in and stays relatively in place during the day.
was good to read the responses--thank you..
Those bedsacs look neat but think we'll probably stick with what we have--will price out a new mattress though when we are at the factory on Friday..
Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Which brings me to yet another set of questions (don't 'ya love it ... ). Since you've had your mattress for about four years and are now buying another: 1) are you ordering a new one from Escape or somewhere else? 2) Would it be worthwhile to order a thicker mattress in the first place?
Jan
I will just buy one local. At first I had thought of getting natural latex, but a 7" thick one weights 105 pounds, a bit heavier than I would like. I do want to keep it as thin and light as possible. We plan to go out this winter to a handful of local stores that make mattresses and try some different ones out. I do believe we will stick to foam though, as there are lots of comfy options, with different layering of densities. We could even get one made with different densities on either side to fit my wife and me different, but we tend to switch sides up all the time.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #17

Definitely a lot of thoughts and ideas here so thank you all for your responses. I'm thinking that having the mattress cut an inch or two narrower, a mattress topper, queen sheets and a double duvet (with fleece) might just be the way we want to go. The RVBedsacs do look interesting and would be great for a bed that doubles as a table.

(BTW, you might find http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-...view-home.html interesting.)

Jan