Benefits of 5th wheel units - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
if (When?? ) we graduate to a 5th wheel i'd still be looking to Anderson for my hitch.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

with all of the hauling that I currently do with our pickup i wouldn't want a big bulky hitch sitting in the bed.

-DR
I understand the appeal, but a couple of notes...
  1. Conventional fifth-wheel hitches are also removable (although much heavier)
  2. Those Andersen systems converts the fifth-wheel to a ball hitch, which means that safety chains will be required in at least some jurisdictions.
  3. The conversion to a ball and coupler also means lowering the trailer onto the ball, rather than backing in... which some consider an advantage of a true fifth-wheel
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
Jim, Reasons we switched to the 5.0ta after originally ordering a 21.

1. Hitching, I have neck and back problems, getting in and out of the truck to get that dang ball and hitch lined up and then checking things put me in bad positions for both. Plus the front power jacks will help me out a great deal.

2. The queen bed, wife and I both liked that non-crawl over option and the space around the bed with the cabinets

3. Traveling with my mother, the option of separate spaces is nice for the night.

4. Bathroom, traveling with others, we are not right next door to the bathroom for those night runs....

5. Total rig and tug length and maneuverabilty, Reece explained it is easier when you get the hang of things

6. Towing, although I have not towed a 5er, all my uncles are truck drivers and my mom has always wanted a 5th, they all mentioned the benefits and stability

7. While missing the truck bed for some items, we gain storage space in the camper, I plan to pack some things in a dry tool box in the bed or waterproof bags if necessary, but the need for these is limited due to the size and storage of the 5er camper.

Downside...somewhat, is Personally, I want a stronger larger, high payload capacity vehicle to tow the 5.0ta with. So I am looking into Ford F250's. No worries about payload and pin weight, plenty of room for all of us and whatever we want to bring, they have a "Power Puck" hitch system where the bed rails will not be in the truck bed, so I can use it for my plywood and carpentry. Like a said somewhat of a downside but this personal, and the one big truck accomodates some other needs we have.

We can't wait till Next year when we can get our new rig, we are shopping for our new truck and feel this rig will serve our needs and style for many years, and will allow me take my mother camping....she got me started on it and she only has so many years left for camping and getting out, so Let the road trips roll
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Jim, we have taken our first trip with the new to us 5.0 and and like it for many of the reasons mentioned. First towing - we had a 13 ft.stick built when the kids were growing up and the 5.0 feels like nothing behind our F-150 unlike the 13 behind a van. We too like having the separate bed area and it being a queen there's lots of room for us and the dog! I just found that the overheads are a bit of a hinderance, I am a restless sleeper and kept hitting it (that would probable not happen in the wider TA) Then I found when we changing the bed this week (that's my job) that the head of the mattress on my side is slightly closer to the sidewall than hers, and I tend to sleep "on the edge."

I'm a bit jealous that you got to see Alf's new TA already, I hope with more out there all the time we'll be able to see one soon.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I was hoping to see a set of side by side comparison pictures posted between the classic 5.0 & 5.0TA. Two parked together so those in the fifth wheel camp could validate their own opinion. I haven't seen the new 5.0TA yet, but I know for me bigger is not in my future. I am currently out on a tour of the upper Midwest. More than twice I could barely fit into the only level spot left in the campground. I have notice more locals up here have set up for seasonal parking on all the quality campsites leaving the vagabonds the few leftovers.
I am happy to own the 2012 classic. I have about 10,000 miles and maybe 100 nights in it. For me, and this is just my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to trade up and go bigger or newer. Throwing away $ in our retirement years that could be well spent traveling and enjoying life. I have my trailer lightly modified to fit our needs and desires. Another reason not to start over with the latest model. I do not wish to give my state another big chunk of sales tax just for the excitement and wait for another build.
We owned a well traveled Casita which was a bumper pull and in my opinion they both have their advantages. Our biggest selling point was the north/south queen bed in a divided sleeping area.
I generally get up and going a couple of hours before my wife/navigator.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm a bit jealous that you got to see Alf's new TA already, I hope with more out there all the time we'll be able to see one soon.

Adrian

Oooh, I see a TA in your future. Thanks for the reply….both yours and Davids.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Here's a quick overview. Moving from the 5.0 to 5.0TA there are some things I miss and some I don't. The weight gain issue makes climbing the mountains slower/harded, but the 8" width gain is worth it. 8" length gain seems lost in the trailer, and the extra 5" height means Mary Anne now needs a step stool to reach into the upper galley cupboards. Even I find it a stretch to turn on the isle lights!!!
Once we reach the "Great Plains" will tell another story. So far the Montana mountains and head winds hampered the V6's performance. Thankfully the Great Lakes basin is flat. A tail wind is best with the 5.0TA.
I must admit I loved the 5.0 and only time will tell about the 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030685.jpg   IMG_20140527_124842.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Oooh, I see the "new car smell" has quickly dissipated. I too felt the tall cabinets made me feel smaller!!
I have also come to live with my 12 mpg average, unless I upgrade to a diesel.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
I have a 2013 5.0 and Nissan Frontier. The loft bed and wrap around rear dining seating are nice as are the ease of hitching and towing. The only things we don't have versus a bigger trailer are a couple of Lazy Boy recliners and a big screen television. (Although putting the table in the back seat of the truck and lounging on the wrap-around seats is pretty close!) As the new 5.0TA doesn't include the recliners we don't see any advantage to switching. Of course, Lynne hasn't seen one and she might convince me to change my mind.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #29

Trailer: 19 picked up March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
I was hoping to see a set of side by side comparison pictures posted between the classic 5.0 & 5.0TA. Two parked together so those in the fifth wheel camp could validate their own opinion. I haven't seen the new 5.0TA yet, but I know for me bigger is not in my future. I am currently out on a tour of the upper Midwest. More than twice I could barely fit into the only level spot left in the campground. I have notice more locals up here have set up for seasonal parking on all the quality campsites leaving the vagabonds the few leftovers.
I am happy to own the 2012 classic. I have about 10,000 miles and maybe 100 nights in it. For me, and this is just my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to trade up and go bigger or newer. Throwing away $ in our retirement years that could be well spent traveling and enjoying life. I have my trailer lightly modified to fit our needs and desires. Another reason not to start over with the latest model. I do not wish to give my state another big chunk of sales tax just for the excitement and wait for another build.
We owned a well traveled Casita which was a bumper pull and in my opinion they both have their advantages. Our biggest selling point was the north/south queen bed in a divided sleeping area.
I generally get up and going a couple of hours before my wife/navigator.
Say, Dave and Sandy, is that your 5.0 at Hudson Point RV and Marina in PT on June 15. My Husband and I live in PT and were down there for the rainbow and saw the 5.0 with Texas plates. We were hoping to see you so we could say Hi. We have a 19 on order for Jan. 27, 2015.

Sandi and Dave Pitts
Snadry is offline   Reply With Quote