best tire pressure minder suggestion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
best tire pressure minder suggestion

I have a SUV pulling my 21 foot escape and I am looking for a good tire pressure minder, hopefully one that doesn't need wiring or a booster. Any suggestions. I am getting ready to leave on a long trip next week and want to get one soon.
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't know about the best, but I have no complaints with my EEZTire system. TST is the other big name and is very popular on the Airstream forum.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
TST has worked well for me, and their customer service has been exceptional. I don't say that lightly. I broke a monitor (and valve stem) by getting too close to a very high concrete curb, and when I inquired to CS whether the monitor was repairable they sent me a brand new one at no cost.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

Mike S.... yes I have seen the video on the EEZ model. Do you use a booster for it? Also did you get the anti theft sensors?
Nancy
Old 06-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

We used it on our 29' motorhome with six sensors. We did not use a booster and never had a problem. While we do have the "anti-theft" sensor I took that piece off and use it as a regular screw on. The anti-theft is really just that it requires you use a specific tool to unscrew them and I didn't want the hassle and I don't know how much protection that really provides.

I have heard a lot of horror stories on the flow though types, so I would not recommend those as they are known for leaking.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I just installed the Solar Powered, TireMinder tpms. Yes, it does use a booster, but is simple to set up. 2 alligator clips ( plus & minus on battery) and a couple zip ties. Getting ready for a 2000 mile trip and looking forward to the peace of mind.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #7

Hi Mike again. I just ordered the EEZ 4 sensor for our trailer. Our car came with tire sensors so we were good there. I ordered the anti-theft since they are smaller in size and no booster, hoping I won't need one. I ordered it from EEZ not amazon since amazon had them back ordered. EEZ was a little cheaper so the shipping cost was still below Amazon. Plus for 10 bucks they programmed it for me when I told them the cold psi and will get it in the mail today with 3 day shipping.
Thanks for your advice. Their videos were very helpful and the price was right. I hope it works out. Our last trip we picked up a nail in our tow vehicle and had a slow leak going down the interstate and we were thankful our car had a tire monitor to let us know to pull over. Then we knew for sure we wanted one on our Escape!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Hi Mike again. I just ordered the EEZ 4 sensor for our trailer. Our car came with tire sensors so we were good there. I ordered the anti-theft since they are smaller in size and no booster, hoping I won't need one. I ordered it from EEZ not amazon since amazon had them back ordered. EEZ was a little cheaper so the shipping cost was still below Amazon. Plus for 10 bucks they programmed it for me when I told them the cold psi and will get it in the mail today with 3 day shipping.
Thanks for your advice. Their videos were very helpful and the price was right. I hope it works out. Our last trip we picked up a nail in our tow vehicle and had a slow leak going down the interstate and we were thankful our car had a tire monitor to let us know to pull over. Then we knew for sure we wanted one on our Escape!
We ordered ours from Amazon, but I did order valve extensions directly from them and received good service. Personally I think having one is more important that which one. Just seems like cheap insurance. Hope it works out for you and don't forget to report back how it goes!
Old 06-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #9

Mike, why the valve extensions?
N
Old 06-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Mike, why the valve extensions?
N
Totally unrelated to an Escape. It was for the inner wheels on the dual rear wheels of the motorhome to allow access without removing the outer wheel. Sorry, I should have been more specific. That is another plus for the Escape (or most trailers) I really didn't like having the dual rear wheels on one axle.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
A tire pressure monitoring system provides great peace of mind while traveling. We had a flat a few years ago and I wonder if it would have been detected by the TPMS if we had had one then. It was no fun changing the tire on the shoulder of the Interstate with trucks whizzing by.

I got a TireTraker TT-500 and have been very happy with it. No booster needed.
As a side benefit, before I had it, I found that the tires lost about 5 psi when I checked them before a trip. After installing the sensors on the valve stems, I found that the tires no longer lose air pressure between trips. I also learned that you need to drive a little before the sensors wake up and start sending pressure, so you cannot use it in place of a tire gauge before a trip.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Totally unrelated to an Escape. It was for the inner wheels on the dual rear wheels of the motorhome to allow access without removing the outer wheel. Sorry, I should have been more specific. That is another plus for the Escape (or most trailers) I really didn't like having the dual rear wheels on one axle.
Got the monitor today... I got a little confused while trying to read the tire. In big numbers it says 50 MAX psi and then in very small letters it says not to exceed 35 psi. and then somewhere else it says 50 psi cold.

So I set it at 50, with 60 high and 45 low pressure. Is that right?
N