Bicycles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Bicycles

Hi
Curious as to who brings along bicycles while "Escaping"? Do you get enough use out of them?
Lynn
Old 05-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Bicycles are one of the most common things brought along by campers. Believe Escape has even made all the bumpers bike-friendly. People ride around the campgrounds and, of course, up trails.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Bicycle

We take them with us...most of the time. They sit on the back bumper taking up no extra space. If we use them, fine, if not, no big deal. I cover them with a tarp and some bungee's when it's stormy. I go to a fitness center at home for exercise. On the road the bikes sometimes serve the same purpose.
The bikes are also good at seeking out ice cream available in the vicinity. It's uncanny!
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
We take them with us...most of the time. They sit on the back bumper taking up no extra space. If we use them, fine, if not, no big deal.
The bikes are also good at seeking out ice cream available in the vicinity. It's uncanny!
Gary
I want bikes now! Are there particular bikes that find ice cream or will any of them do that?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I want bikes now! Are there particular bikes that find ice cream or will any of them do that?
The ones with a bell should be good for finding ice cream!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm bring my new folding electric/peddle big tire rad bike to try out dang is it heavy ! I haven't gotten a chance to use it because I broke my foot. Also bringing my folding kayak I guess I like things that fold...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #7

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
21 Tow vehicle

We use a 2007 Sequoia with Timbren rubber stops so no sag or WDH
getting about 13-14 ,mpg flatlands
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We take them, they see little use.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We use our 17b as a base camp for bicycling focused camping trips in the summer. It allows us to travel to interesting, low traffic areas to bike. We will use them for 3-4 hours a day two out of three days, and yes, our bikes know the way to ice cream during the day. In the afternoon they tend to seek out beer or G and T. We store them inside the Rav 4 but darn they take up space.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We took bicycles last summer when were in Kansas and Colorado. I'm fairly new to riding (again), and LOVED biking along the Arkansas River on my birthday!! We still debate most trips if it's worth it to bring the bikes... I like Gary's "if we use them, fine, if not, no big deal" attitude! Can't use them if you don't bring them...and sometimes you don't know 'til you get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Colorado_099_copy.jpg  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
The ones with a bell should be good for finding ice cream!
Hmm. Mine's got a bell...
Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Hmm. Mine's got a bell...
Ok, bell on bike finds ice cream, now I'm wondering what equipment Yardsale has that finds the G and T's
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Ours come with us every trip. I built a rack (out of 2x4) for ours to ride in the truck bed, have to modify now that we're taking 4 instead of 2 bikes. We use them LOTS, everywhere.
On last year's trip to Utah & area, the "old" (road touring bikes with recent Bionx electric conversions) were found to be inadequate on many gravel roads & trails, so last winter we bought a pair of fat-bikes for desert/beach/rough country use. My own fatbike is in the midst of getting a second wheel set, 29er w/somewhat narrower tires than the "fat" tires, to swap in/out depending on where I'm going to ride.
Have to say, after a few years of declining bicycling (& accompanying fitness decline!), the electric conversion renewed both our interest AND our fitness level to the point where riding the fatbikes is possible, which it wouldn't have been otherwise.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Bikes are the best way to get around!

We take our bikes with us every time we camp. We have found that campgrounds are often really spread out and it is nice to ride them on trails and back and forth to the shower house. Also nice just to ride through the campground and look at other campers and stop and visit with people.
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 15A
We take our bikes with us all the time. Biking is one of our favorite activities when we go camping. We like the aspect that you can see more of the country and travel greater distances. And of course there is the benefit of good exercise.
Some trips the bikes never get off the rack, but like the thought that if we wanted to ride they are there.
Attached Thumbnails
P9051271r.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
Ours come with us every trip. I built a rack (out of 2x4) for ours to ride in the truck bed, have to modify now that we're taking 4 instead of 2 bikes. We use them LOTS, everywhere.
On last year's trip to Utah & area, the "old" (road touring bikes with recent Bionx electric conversions) were found to be inadequate on many gravel roads & trails, so last winter we bought a pair of fat-bikes for desert/beach/rough country use. My own fatbike is in the midst of getting a second wheel set, 29er w/somewhat narrower tires than the "fat" tires, to swap in/out depending on where I'm going to ride.
Have to say, after a few years of declining bicycling (& accompanying fitness decline!), the electric conversion renewed both our interest AND our fitness level to the point where riding the fatbikes is possible, which it wouldn't have been otherwise.
It's interesting that your experience with electric assist bikes led you back to human powdered riding. Good for you!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
So far, we've not taken a trip where we did not take our bikes, and we always get some use out of them.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
https://www.geoo.com/pages/how-it-works

Just curious if anyone has experience with the GeoOrbital Wheel. I have a recumbent bicycle and it gets very wobbly when I have to pedal slowly or am tired. This would fit the front wheel.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I bring two bikes every trip but I don't use them much. I really need to plan ahead and either have a couple bike rides in the plan or leave them at home.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
. . . I really need to plan ahead and either have a couple bike rides in the plan . . .
We find on our trips there's no shortage of bike rides. We especially like where there's dedicated bike or multi-use paths, often/usually paved. Just a couple from our last trip: Bryce Canyon has a bike path from Bryce to Red Canyon. Moab has a dedicated path from town to Arches NP entrance as well as along the Colorado River. Grand Teton has a dedicated path fron Jackson to Jenny Lake. At Kodachrome Badin, we went for miles down Cottonwood Canyon Rd, which is where I realized that a road bike with 32 mm tires is woefully "underbiking" in the gravel! Burr Trail makes a great bike route, as does the Notom-Bullfrog Rd down Waterpocket Fold.

On our upcoming trip we are already planning to check out the bike path from Canmore to Calgary we just heard about. Also the trail network at Cypress Hills, & Writing on Stone PP.

Sometimes I think I "Escape" in order to find new biking opportunities!