Bigfoot Wreck - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's only the left hand if you controller is on the left - controllers are in various locations, and being familiar with yours is important, especially if your trailer is unstable.

Access to that manual brake lever is why I mounted our Tekonsha P3 up next to the steering wheel (along with having it immediately visible whenever I'm driving ((the cover is a black cardstock sun-shield))):
Attached Thumbnails
brakecontroller Loc-1.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Access to that manual brake lever is why I mounted our Tekonsha P3 up next to the steering wheel (along with having it immediately visible whenever I'm driving ((the cover is a black cardstock sun-shield))):
Accessible, easily readable, doesn't block other controls or features, doesn't block the view of anything, doesn't block the defogger vent... looks good!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #83

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer View Post
You don't think a first Gen tundra is capable of towing that 21ft safely?
I believe that a first Gen Tundra may be capable of towing a Bigfoot trailer , safely is a totally different question .
Speaking only for myself , I would not tow a Bigfoot trailer larger than 17 ft with any 1/2 ton pickup truck currently available nor do I consider it safe or prudent .
Viewing the video for me only confirmed my opinion
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Accessible, easily readable, doesn't block other controls or features, doesn't block the view of anything, doesn't block the defogger vent... looks good!

Thanks, Brian. Your comments reminded me: I installed a rear view/backup camera yesterday, and it just occurred to me that there might be interference between the P3 and the view screen, so I checked: all OK.
Attached Thumbnails
rear view cam and P3 controller.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Cool My experience

It has been my experience that people drive too fast when towing. California and Oregon have a 55mph towing limit. Often when driving the speed limit in Washington, I am passed by people towing. Stupid. Are a few extra minutes worth your life?

I would add to the tips: Stay alert! Constantly mind the 'feel' of your rig while towing. Again speed can cause things to happen faster than you may be able to react.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #86

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Video worth watching, especially new campers.
Eddie

Thanks for sharing! I did learn plenty.

And have enjoy the further comments... so many jokesters, got some laughs and so many good, educational comments. great post!

As I'm not new to camping, I will be new to towing and would love some more advice... links to websites or posts to learn more.

Thanks for your help!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #87

Trailer: Still Deciding
Things I learned many years ago driving semi trucks: STAY AHEAD OF YOUR TRAILER!!! Going down hill it's important to have your trailer brake control adjusted a little tighter so the trailer is slightly pulling against the tow vehicle. Especially true on rain or snow slick roads. Road tractors have a hand control that works the brake on the trailer w/out applying brake to the T.V. This is the method to prevent jack knives.
Scares me when I think of how many diesel pick ups are on the road now. Using the engine brake on slick roads or on curves can cause a jack knife also...........the truck is slowing down while the trailer is pushing it..........not a good combination.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #88

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I believe that a first Gen Tundra may be capable of towing a Bigfoot trailer , safely is a totally different question .
Speaking only for myself , I would not tow a Bigfoot trailer larger than 17 ft with any 1/2 ton pickup truck currently available nor do I consider it safe or prudent .
Viewing the video for me only confirmed my opinion
I know you said "I would not tow" and I respect that. OTOH we have (to be traded tomorrow) a 2015 F150 with Max Tow Package and optional 7,000# package that towed our 6,500# 25' Bigfoot with no problem. When the 950# hitch was hooked to our F150 it barely squatted. We sold the camper to a couple with a standard F150 and when hooked up it dropped the rear and raised the front of the F150 dramatically. Once the Blue Ox hitch was properly installed the F150 and camper were level. However, I felt his pickup was not robust enough to pull the camper and would have scared me.

He passed away this winter and I helped his widow sell the Bigfoot for nearly $4,000 more than they bought it from me (they did about $1,000 in additions though). When the new buyers showed up with their F250 diesel it dropped the truck at least as much as our fully configured F150. I was surprised it dropped down that much. I'm guessing he had the base F250. Options can make quite a bit of difference.

Terry's son has the Gen 1 Tundra like she wrecked. There is no way that pickup is robust enough to pull a 21' Bigfoot. Period!

Tomorrow we trade our 2015 for a new 2019 F150. It also has the Max Tow Package and 7,000# spring option. Never know if we find another 25' Bigfoot at a price we can afford, but for now we're in love with our 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #89

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Scares me when I think of how many diesel pick ups are on the road now. Using the engine brake on slick roads or on curves can cause a jack knife also...........the truck is slowing down while the trailer is pushing it..........not a good combination.
It doesn't matter whether the tug is diesel or gasoline; either is capable of engine braking (as long as the diesel has an exhaust brake or a compression-release brake), and both should use engine braking to avoid wheel brake overheating while maintaining descent speed on long grades.

I agree that braking a trailer with the tow vehicle inherently reduces stability, but engine braking is typically used only in moderation to maintain descent speed or assist braking. Travel trailer drivers are assisted in this by the fact that gasoline closed-throttle engine braking and diesel exhaust braking are relatively ineffective at moderate engine speeds, compared to the compression-release braking available with larger commercial truck engines; none of the light trucks (which is everything up to a "one ton") has a compression-release brake, at least from the factory.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #90

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I know you said "I would not tow" and I respect that. OTOH we have (to be traded tomorrow) a 2015 F150 with Max Tow Package and optional 7,000# package that towed our 6,500# 25' Bigfoot with no problem. When the 950# hitch was hooked to our F150 it barely squatted. We sold the camper to a couple with a standard F150 and when hooked up it dropped the rear and raised the front of the F150 dramatically. Once the Blue Ox hitch was properly installed the F150 and camper were level. However, I felt his pickup was not robust enough to pull the camper and would have scared me.

He passed away this winter and I helped his widow sell the Bigfoot for nearly $4,000 more than they bought it from me (they did about $1,000 in additions though). When the new buyers showed up with their F250 diesel it dropped the truck at least as much as our fully configured F150. I was surprised it dropped down that much. I'm guessing he had the base F250. Options can make quite a bit of difference.

Terry's son has the Gen 1 Tundra like she wrecked. There is no way that pickup is robust enough to pull a 21' Bigfoot. Period!

Tomorrow we trade our 2015 for a new 2019 F150. It also has the Max Tow Package and 7,000# spring option. Never know if we find another 25' Bigfoot at a price we can afford, but for now we're in love with our 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Congratulations on your purchase of a 2019 Ford F150 , a wise decision IMHO
It seems that many believe that a truck is a truck is a truck and that they are all created equal while others do their homework before buying

We have been considering purchasing a 25 ft Bigfoot RQ and even though our 2019 Ram 1500 is rated to tow 11,400 lbs , it ain’t going to happen .

a
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My F150 would tow a 25' Bigfoot at 6,500 lbs no problem. Even that 9,000 trailer I towed last week pulled surprisingly easy. I did just go to the dump with it, but still.....

It is still running great so I won't be trading it in for quite some time yet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote