Bike Rack - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Escape sells the Sherline scale at a good price. With it, you will know exactly what your tongue weight is.
Beer store sells cases of ballast with handles so you can easily shift weight forward or back as needed.
I never realized Escape sells the Sherline, I may get them to bring one to the rally for me, as I have always planned to get on, but just haven't gotten around to it.

You ballast plan is a great one, but not thought out all the way. How the heck do I get the bikes home?
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 589
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Escape sells the Sherline scale at a good price. With it, you will know exactly what your tongue weight is.
Beer store sells cases of ballast with handles so you can easily shift weight forward or back as needed.
ETI's price was the best I have seen on the Sherline. Definitely pick one up when you get your trailer.

Excellent point on ballast. When we moved I screwed up on loading a UHaul. Almost lost it due to sway. Stopped at Home Depot and bought 300 lbs of water softener salt and strapped it to the tongue. Made all the difference in the world.

Beer would be better. It took me a year and a half to use all the salt. Beer would go a bit quicker.
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
good replies thanks. speaking of water, i was thinking about the front end needs if travelling with a full tank of water and bike rack as well. suppose same ideas apply - add some weight up front.
Our manual states to travel with the water tank(located at axles) either full or empty to avoid sloshing. We try to travel dry for the long hauls as it saves 250 lbs.(30 gal) from being towed. We do carry 6-9 gallons of fresh in smaller jugs in our TV.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
ETI's price was the best I have seen on the Sherline. Definitely pick one up when you get your trailer.

Excellent point on ballast. When we moved I screwed up on loading a UHaul. Almost lost it due to sway. Stopped at Home Depot and bought 300 lbs of water softener salt and strapped it to the tongue. Made all the difference in the world.

Beer would be better. It took me a year and a half to use all the salt. Beer would go a bit quicker.
Three years ago I pulled a 12 ft UHaul to Florida and was wondering how to weigh the tongue but ended up guessing. Anything above 55 mph it started to fishtail so it was a long slow trip. Not enough weight up front. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #95
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I never realized Escape sells the Sherline, I may get them to bring one to the rally for me, as I have always planned to get on, but just haven't gotten around to it.

You ballast plan is a great one, but not thought out all the way. How the heck do I get the bikes home?
Buy more beer for the return leg!
__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #96
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,674
Just be sure to get the lowest Shoreline scale, I believe it is 0-1000 lbs. The larger ones are to hard to read.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
BCnomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O town, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Posts: 1,327
One 1upusa super duty silver single on its way. Will be at the rally.
__________________
When you look for advice, make sure it's from someone towing your trailer, in your backyard, with the same expectations
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Our manual states to travel with the water tank(located at axles) either full or empty to avoid sloshing.
The fresh water tanks I've seen in Escapes are rear of the main frame section (under the raised floor in models with a step; in the 1.5"x3" framed section in any case), and thus well rear of the axle (or the rearmost axle in tandems. Has the freshwater tank swapped places with the grey waste tank (which was further forward)?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Three years ago I pulled a 12 ft UHaul to Florida and was wondering how to weigh the tongue but ended up guessing. Anything above 55 mph it started to fishtail so it was a long slow trip.
If you don't have air suspension in the back of the tug, then how much the trailer squashes the rear of the tug down is a decent rough indicator of trailer tongue weight. Do you weigh about what the trailer tongue should weigh, and if so does the trailer push the hitch down at least as much as you standing on the hitch does?

A common problem with U-Haul trailers is that all but the smallest are tandem axle and have high couplers, so they often end up nose-down and thus "tiptoeing" on the front axle... and thus unstable.

Most people working at U-Haul locations have no clue about towing and you're entirely on your own to set up the rig for safe operation. It doesn't help that U-Haul doesn't even publish the coupler heights for their trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just be sure to get the lowest Shoreline scale, I believe it is 0-1000 lbs. The larger ones are to hard to read.
I agree... or change the gauge to the lower-pressure gauge. The pressure range of the gauge is the only difference between Sherline scale models.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.