Bike Rack - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have had all three of our bikes on the roof of our Yukon with a Yakima system. works well with these thoughts in mind, catches a lot of wind, certainly can feel a difference @ highway speeds. its a long way up there even with fairly light hardtail mountain bikes. I am trying to decide what to do for this summer. I may end up with a pivoting tray style two bike holder for the back of the trailer and go back to one of my fork mount racks on the roof for the third bike.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
Looking into the Kuat bike racks, the FAQ sections says you should "absolutely not" use a cover over your bikes with this rack. This might be a consideration if a person would be driving on gravel or dirt roads.
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA current
Should consider this bike rack.
1UPUSA.com :: Home
flew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome to our Escape world, flew, how about introducing yourself here New Member Introductions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We have the Swagman 4 bike carrier in the bike rack ready rear hitch. It works, but It makes me nervous with all that weight on the hitch. As mentioned, there is a an extra bolt that you can purchase to take any play out of the receiver, and this is a must. I need to tighten it regularly. I have resorted to carrying one of the bikes on a Yakima roof rack (along with a kayak) and one of the kids bikes in the trailer. That leaves just two bikes on the rack, which I say is the limit.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevin View Post
We have the Swagman 4 bike carrier in the bike rack ready rear hitch. It works, but It makes me nervous with all that weight on the hitch. As mentioned, there is a an extra bolt that you can purchase to take any play out of the receiver, and this is a must. I need to tighten it regularly. I have resorted to carrying one of the bikes on a Yakima roof rack (along with a kayak) and one of the kids bikes in the trailer. That leaves just two bikes on the rack, which I say is the limit.
Hi: ddevin...We too got the Swagman... but only a 3 space rack. We plan on carrying our 2 folding bikes on it. It clears the spare tire and with the small bikes on it doesn't obscure the brake/tail lights. Just one more thing to watch out for on my circle check at each stop along the way!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Ft.Myers Beach Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing to check when using the trailer mounted bumper racks, is to have someone observe them, or better yet, follow someone pulling your trailer. Though nothing disastrous, I was surprised to see how much movement there was on my Swagman when I watched a video a friend took when using it. I then mounted it alone on my Pilot, and because there is less bounce there, it was not too bad.

I do have the 1 1/4" model adapted to 2", as mentioned up there ^ ^ ^ somewhere. Not near enough stiffness. Definitely going to a more solid 2" stem in whatever I buy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
Unhappy

[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;47070]One thing to check when using the trailer mounted bumper racks, is to have someone observe them, or better yet, follow someone pulling your trailer. Though nothing disastrous, I was surprised to see how much movement there was on my Swagman when I watched a video a friend took when using it. I then mounted it alone on my Pilot, and because there is less bounce there, it was not too bad.

Great idea to have someone watch it and videotape it - may be an eye opener! The other issue is rubbing between the bikes. My bike has several spots worn right down to the metal from the bikes rubbing on each other. This is lessened if you don't have 4 bikes for sure.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I have the Sportwing from Reese Carry Power. I bought it because it'll carry all types and sizes of bicycles. I purchased it about two years ago and I'm just now going to use it. It is a 1 1/4" model that I've adapted to the 2" Escape receiver. I like the way it'll carry different types of bikes, but I don't like the amount of play in the mount. I tried tying it down using Burgundy cords, but they don't do much for the wiggle. Next I'll try actual tie downs. It's too bad that we all have to modify so many of the items we purchase.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by flew View Post
Should consider this bike rack.
1UPUSA.com :: Home
Seems a bit strange this being a first post, but I did check out these racks, and though pricey, they sure do look good. They get really good reviews too. No rubber or plastic at all, which should make them outlast most other racks, or at least not have to replace parts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevin View Post

Great idea to have someone watch it and videotape it - may be an eye opener! The other issue is rubbing between the bikes. My bike has several spots worn right down to the metal from the bikes rubbing on each other. This is lessened if you don't have 4 bikes for sure.
With my frame supported Swagman rack, and the bouncing I had with it, we got some good rub marks on the frames from them. This, plus the fact I want to carry my carbon fiber frame on it too, I will not get a rack that supports by the frame again, only one that uses supports on the tires.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
This place makes excellent racks, but are quite expensive: Draftmaster Single/SWB Racks We used one with our recumbents on the back of our Rialta RV and I was impressed with the quality. It pivots down so that the bikes don't have to be lifted up until they are already mounted.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
This place makes excellent racks, but are quite expensive: Draftmaster Single/SWB Racks We used one with our recumbents on the back of our Rialta RV and I was impressed with the quality. It pivots down so that the bikes don't have to be lifted up until they are already mounted.
We used to use one on our Eurovan. It could carry a recumbent tandem, and two singles with ease. When we give up our beloved sienna for a new tow vehicle, we will probably but another draftmaster
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Anyone using Kuat rack?

Is anyone using a Kuat rack? NV2 looks perfect but is expensive. Will allow tailgate to drop on my Silverado and has super features. Wonder about clearance on a 21'? If it would work $ would be worth it.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #35

Until looking at that 1UP USA rack, the Kuat NV2 was the one I was going to purchase. Pricing is similar. I like the workings on the 1UP, and it tilts out of the way too. What the Kuat has is the bike stand for cleaning or repairs, which could be quite handy. Still undecided myself, but leaning towards the 1UP right now.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
I have ordered one of these for one bike to start. Will see how it turns out when I get it.

Racks | TufRack

I will sell my 2 bike Swagman.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm intrigued, but I sure hate their web-site. Where amid all the noise are photos that show how the rack attaches to the hitch receiver, and what holds the tops of the bikes so they don't wobble back and forth?
Site is all glitz, but lacks basic info, near as I can tell.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm intrigued, but I sure hate their web-site. Where amid all the noise are photos that show how the rack attaches to the hitch receiver, and what holds the tops of the bikes so they don't wobble back and forth?
Site is all glitz, but lacks basic info, near as I can tell.
Will report when I install.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reason I want to see the structure in detail is I've thought about mounting a bike rack between the front of the trailer and the propane tanks ( where the box normally would be.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Reason I want to see the structure in detail is I've thought about mounting a bike rack between the front of the trailer and the propane tanks ( where the box normally would be.
I have a wild ass plan, where I use a forklift or permanent RV style propane tank, around 40 lbs, which mount horizontally, and combine it with a bit of storage, and use bike racks on top. The only drawback (other than the time to do this), would be that the bikes would have to come off to open the cover on the front window.