Bike Rack - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #161

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Does the 5.0TA have a receiver hitch thing on the rear bumper?
All Escape trailers now do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #162

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
My wife and I leave on our 1 month trip very soon and we decided to take our bikes with us. I have read all 16 pages of this thread and and I honestly didn't learn much. Probably just me! The 1UP seems to be a popular brand but I just can't justify dropping $529 right now. Someone posted a link to a Casita site that recommended the Thule T2. It's expensive as well and does not seem to approved for RV use. Does that matter? Any other suggestions for use on our 5.0TA that will not break the bank? Thanks.
The problem with the non-approved one that we bought (before we knew about it was an issue) is that the bar coming from the receiver is thinner and the manufacturer claimed the additional bouncing of a trailer could snap it off. I have carried one bike on it successfully, have not tried two.

Bike racks are stupid expensive, and I don't know why.

One friend got a smokin deal on his at the REI open box sale.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #163

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know the 1UP is not cheap, but going with a stop gap rack, then replacing it in a couple years will end up being just as costly. I see the 1UP as something built to last for many, many years. Granted, I do sometimes carry a couple of quite expensive bikes on it, worth many times more than the rack. When trailering, I usually use cheaper bikes, but the ease of use still makes it worth it for me.
We have older, nothing special bikes and I am really not concerned about them as much as I am about the bikes contacting the 5'r and causing damage. I do agree, probably worth it in the long run as it will last many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Does the 5.0TA have a receiver hitch thing on the rear bumper?
Yes, we did order our 5.0 bike rack ready.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #164

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I am a fan of the 1UP. Its only con beside pricing and dirt exposure, is that the anti theft security of the bikes is a little low for my tastes.

Having said that, a lot of guys use a lot of methods that are lower cost to get the bikes along on vacation.

edit: damage on trailer::: mine has been good, but its got a lot of room to the glass on my rig... I set the hitch locking ball at a good distance in the receiver.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #165

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
All Escape trailers now do.
Walmart sells 'hitch mounted bike carriers'
Old 08-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #166

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Another 1UP fan. We have the heavy duty dual bike version and it has been bullet proof. Amazon sells a dual bike cover made by Formosa, it fits the 1UP rack with two bikes nicely. We recently returned from a extended trip to the Yukon with lots of mud and dust and the bikes were in immaculate condition.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #167

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Thumbs up

So far I am thrilled with the 1Up. Bulletproof.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #168

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
My wife and I leave on our 1 month trip very soon and we decided to take our bikes with us. I have read all 16 pages of this thread and and I honestly didn't learn much. Probably just me! The 1UP seems to be a popular brand but I just can't justify dropping $529 right now. Someone posted a link to a Casita site that recommended the Thule T2. It's expensive as well and does not seem to approved for RV use. Does that matter? Any other suggestions for use on our 5.0TA that will not break the bank? Thanks.
Sorry for not making our experience clearer: we went through 3 bike racks(Swagman with the hoops that rub the paint off, SOB rack I cannot mention due to a confidential settlement, and another Swagman where you hang the bikes from adapters). The first one did the job but was a total PITA to use and rubbed the paint off the frame. The second one- well I just can't say, and the third one we almost lost a bike at Deadhorse SP.

I wouldn't worry as much about banging your trailer as having a bike come off on the highway somewhere. The T2 isn't cheap either and is NOT RV suitable, meaning the pivot points aren't strong enough to handle the forces generated back there. You have a 60-day return & they pay the freight back, so I would at least try the 1UP and predict there is no way you'll send it back.

Edit: the first two racks were RV rated, the third, a Swagman 64600 was not.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #169

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I'm totally sold on the 1UP. I use of couple of different devices to lock both the rack and bike.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #170

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
It looks like the 1up single bike rack is 299 correct? It seems expensive but a nice product. i have not been able to get the Swagman mounted correctly to my RV -cant get the security bolt in- but I'm not great with tools might have put it together wrong. My bike isn't that expensive 800ish not too worried about a small rub in the paint but I'm sick of hauling it in my trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #171

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Several posts have talked about this brand, Swagman, but not sure this particular model has been discussed. Model number is S64684 and etrailer sells it for $288.

Swagman Dispatch 2 Bike Platform Rack - 2" Hitches Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64684

It is RV rated and I can live with the price, as long as it is quality and don't have replace the dang thing in a couple of years. The down side it is non folding.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #172

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Several posts have talked about this brand, Swagman, but not sure this particular model has been discussed. Model number is S64684 and etrailer sells it for $288.

Swagman Dispatch 2 Bike Platform Rack - 2" Hitches Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64684

It is RV rated and I can live with the price, as long as it is quality and don't have replace the dang thing in a couple of years.
This is the one I gladly got rid of, or at least the predecessor of it. Everything looks the same though. It works by holding down on the frame, and this is what wore the paint off our bikes where it attached, as others too have complained about. My buddy following me on one trip, told me that it was bouncing about way more than the trailer was too.

Regardless of the quality of bike you have, I would only buy a bike rack that held the bike by the tires. Plenty of good options for that out there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #173
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
This works for us. Uplifted stinger gives a bit more clearance.

Pro Series Q-Slot Platform-Style 2 Bike Rack for 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches - Tilting Pro Series Hitch Bike Racks PS63134

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #174

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This rack is similar to the Swagman XTC, however instead of the ratchet down(and PITA release) it has a hand-tightened knob, and both will rub your frame's paint off where the hooks tighten. With this one the tension can loosen due to the hand tightening knob loosening. Read the reviews on that at etrailer.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #175

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The SportRack is baaack! Some earlier posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My rack (never used on a trailer, just the van an a motorhome) is not a good one; it is just an older version of this SportRack.
... including two from earlier in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Crappy Tire has a decent 2 bike cradle rack for $219.99- 25% off
Part # 40-1190-4 .
Good reviews .

CCM 2-Bike Hitch Platform Carrier | Canadian Tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That rack looks like a CCM-branded version of the SportRack 2 Bike Locking Platform Hitch Rack. I have an earlier and very similar version of this SportRack, and I wouldn't recommend the one I have. I chose it because the design lent itself to adaptation for a non-bike item I needed to carry, but that design has some problematic features. The top-tube hooks are not quick to secure and interfere with each other, those top-tube hooks are the only the part holding the bike down, and the secondary strap is awkward...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:46 AM   #176

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I have a single bike 1UP and love it. Easy to mount it and the bike secures nice.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #177

anyone use a bike rack cover i have the Swagman and mountain bike looking to buy a cover advice?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #178
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
This one has a buckle in the middle to help keep it on. Then tie ropes around the whole shebang:

https://yardstash.com/product/yardst...ycle-cover-xl/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #179

Is this one made for bike racks? It's less expensive then some of the others I am looking at-which is nice. It seems all of them have some durability issues and all need additional bungie /tie down support to keep from flapping.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #180

Trailer: pondering.....
well after having read this long thread for recommendations for a bike rack on the back of the new Escape 19 as the hauler....thought wow this might be pretty easy to select one....titanium road bike sure makes it easier to pick a rack style...no paint to wear off, nearly indestructible...more concerned with security (and there really ain't none for a determined thief) , secure attachment to the hitch, and able to withstand trailer hauling....
now the aluminum trail bike is a bit different for a rack selection as it is painted......even both bikes combined should weigh less than a 1up dual rack if that is the way to go.
then again maybe the best place for the titanium road bike is locked down in the back of the truck bed out of view under the bed cap and then get that 1up Single for the trail bike...like those pictures posted of the 1up both on the pickup truck and Escape.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote