Bike Rack - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Reason I want to see the structure in detail is I've thought about mounting a bike rack between the front of the trailer and the propane tanks ( where the box normally would be.
Did you look in the store?

Racks - Tuf Rack Store
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thanks. That's better. Watched the video of install.
A little concerned that the tray still wiggled, even after he tightened the set-screw that was supposed to prevent that.
Looks like it could be installed on the frame, maybe with u-bolts through the bottom of the tray.
I wouldn't be concerned ( given the value of any bike I would buy ), but what about the stresses on the wheels?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This roof rack from 1UP could also be adapted for use on any surface too.
1UPUSA.com :: Roof Tray Silver
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
bike racks

looking at bike racks for 17b. camping world has one that sounds good - Swagman XC hitch or bumper mount rack built tested for RV use. Question do they fit ok with Escape spare tire? Dont want to have to remove spare tire to use the rack. price looks good $174.00
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
ok now its $149.00
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #46

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
SportRack 3 Bike Lock and Tilt Hanging Hitch Rack | Canadian Tire

$149.00 Canadian Dollars. It will be clear of your spare. Canadian Tire in Chilliwack, BC not far from Escape.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Not to steal the thread, but along the same lines, does anyone know of hitch bike rack for ONE bike?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #48

Jon, if you want the hands down best rack I have ever seen, I would suggest looking at the 1UP USA racks. They have a single one, that you can add more racks to if desired. They are quite pricey, but in my books worth it. I ordered the two bike one, and will be doing a write up on it later. It takes about one minute to install the rack, and 10 seconds to load the bike if you take your time. The quality of the build is first rate. Here is a single one.

1UPUSA.com :: 2" Single Bicycle Super Duty Quik Rack (Silver)

I bought this double one, and have no regrets at all. It has been the envy of all the folks I have gone riding with.

http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilverdouble.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Not to steal the thread, but along the same lines, does anyone know of hitch bike rack for ONE bike?
I'm very happy with this one; folds to store and pretty light. The bend in the mount adds to clearing speed bumps/driveways.

XC 2 – 64650 « Swagman

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some of these racks cost almost as much as one of our bikes. I already own an older Thule Vertical bike rack but see everyone talking about Platforms. Going to be heading cross country shortly bringing along the bikes, are platform hitch racks less likely to leave your bikes laying in the middle of the highway then vertical racks? If so do the racks themselves break or is it just an inferior way of attaching the bikes to the racks?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #51

For me, it is not just the platform style, but how they connect. I much prefer a style that supports and clamps the bike on the rubber tire, which not only causes less damage, but gives a bit of shock absorbency to the mount. Platform styles are generally more stable, but stability is also achieved by how well the rack is built.

My Swagman rack is a platform style, but hooked over the crossbar. After many miles of travel, it wore paint off the bikes at that point. I did take to wrapping the bar with a piece of pool noodle, but that is a pain, and did lose the noodle a couple times.

I think one of the key things is to have a solid built rack, one that does not move and bounce around while in use. Get someone to follow you and report on how stable the rack is, I was surprised to hear how bad my Swagman was doing.

While those IUP USA racks are pricey, I truly believe short of getting rear ended, it will be the last rack I own. I have seen and used tons of racks over the years, and have never seen one built this tough. One drawback though is weight, my double rack weighs 48 pounds, almost as much as our two bikes together. Cost wise, it is nowhere near the cost of my mountain bike I want transported safely. Like many things in life, you get what you pay for.

Bottom line though, if your rack works for you, and you get to take your bikes and use them, all is good.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I was hoping my existing swagman spare tire mounted one would fit. Ill have to take when I go ETI for a look.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
If money is not an issue this would be my choice, or will be when they go on sale again
Products » The NV | Küat
We live in one of the summer mountain bike capitals and this rack is by far the most popular. Beautifully engineered. Probably over the top for just a trailer but a good choice if you also carry on your vehicle when not camping.
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeinbc View Post
I was hoping my existing swagman spare tire mounted one would fit. Ill have to take when I go ETI for a look.
Even if it fits, I'm not sure that the stock spare tire mount is structurally appropriate for what could be double its intended load. It might be a good idea to ask ETI about this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
If money is not an issue this would be my choice, or will be when they go on sale again
Products » The NV | Küat
We live in one of the summer mountain bike capitals and this rack is by far the most popular. Beautifully engineered. Probably over the top for just a trailer but a good choice if you also carry on your vehicle when not camping.
I looked very hard at that Küat rack, and was ready to purchase it until I started researching more on the 1UP USA racks. I know someone with one that Küat that I checked out closely. It is a very well made rack, with lots of though going into it. I really liked the integrated stand too. It definitely has a few more features than the 1UP USA.

I never had a chance to look at the 1UP USA before I bought, but checking out all the reviews online, plus a glowing review from Brad (Texescapees), plus having my brother (a keener bike guy) check it out too, I decided to give it a try. I am VERY confident that a rack is a MUCH superior build. No rubber or plastic. Simple design. Quality milled aluminum parts. It comes fully assembled. It folds down fairly small to fit in your vehicle. Plus, install of the rack is at least as fast, and loading the bikes even faster.

You would not go wrong buying either rack.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Looking for an update on the 1UP. Just got back from a 2000+ mile trip that just beat up our new Swagman
We almost lost our bikes as the top plate bent upwards at either end.
Before that we had a Highland Sportwing, however it damaged the rims as they hang on it. Prior to that we had the Swagman XCS2 with the hoops but it rubbed the paint off, was heavy and a PITA to remove bikes. Wondering if anything is truly suitable with the heavy pendulum effect back there.

Has anyone used the 1UP for an extended trip?

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Has anyone used the 1UP for an extended trip?
A weekend trip is the longest I have been on, but I have every bit of confidence this rack will perform just as well on a long haul. The build quality is by far the best I have seen.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #58

The price doesn't bother me if it is suitable. I have no doubt it is well made, however perusing the mtbr.com forum I have seen some comments about people scraping the ground using it on a Camry for instance. It doesn't seem to me that the Escape hitch height is particularly high. Saw one comment about a bolt coming loose and the platform bending downwards.

There is an abnormal amount of force back there. The nice thing about buying two of the three last racks is Amazon is like Costco these days. Still waiting for Cequent to handle my warrantly claim for the Sportwing bought from Etrailer. After this experience anything I can buy on Amazon I do.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I live in Florida where the rule of thumb is flat. I do not take bikes with me on extended trips out of the state because I know my wife will not last long in hilly terrain. Nor do I have any desire to attempt crossing the continental divide on a bicycle. But the 1up is the best bike rack I have ever owned, and it has never scraped the road on my wife's CRV. Don't know how the receiver height in a CRV compares to a Camry.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #60

Thanks Carl- and it seems (although I haven't measured) that the Escape hitch is probably higher than most sedans. I take it you have not used your 1up on the back of a TT? Would you use it on the new 5.0TA?

The reason we take bikes is to cruise around local areas and get some excercise when our feet are sore from hiking....AND to do recon sometimes when we want to boondock somewhere but not sure what's around the corner or if we can turn around. The 1up seems great for ease of getting on/off- something all other racks have been lacking in.