Bike Rack - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 19'
Look at the Yakima Holdup 2. I have ours hanging off the back of our 16 scamp and now the 19 Escape. The Scamp was like a bull ride compared to the Escape ... Like an ornery cow. I move it up to the tug. Always carried the bikes securely. Only complaint , it heavy to lift and move but an advantage when it's mounted and loaded!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Thanks Carl- and it seems (although I haven't measured) that the Escape hitch is probably higher than most sedans. I take it you have not used your 1up on the back of a TT? Would you use it on the new 5.0TA?

The reason we take bikes is to cruise around local areas and get some excercise when our feet are sore from hiking....AND to do recon sometimes when we want to boondock somewhere but not sure what's around the corner or if we can turn around. The 1up seems great for ease of getting on/off- something all other racks have been lacking in.
I used it a few times on the back of my Scamp 19 before I sold it and I do plan to use it on my 5.0TA when I get it, but only if the destination includes flatlands. I wouldn't take bikes to NC, but I would take them if I were going to spend time in Kansas. Or, if I go to Scamp Camp in Sebring at Highlands Hammock SP because it offers great riding. And yes, the 1up is a dream to load and unload.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
With the help of all your suggestions on this thread, Ian and I spent most of yesterday studying bike racks for our upcoming trip out to BC to pick up our new 19, 'Houdini 2'. We had a wonderful North Shore rack North Shore Bike Racks for Houdini 1 which we sold with the trailer. It was a vertically mounted rack which worked really well since Houdini 1 diid not have the high brake lights and we use a bag to cover our bikes while traveling, so a horizontally mounted bike rack would hide the brake lights.
Houdini 2 will have the extra brake lights because we feel it would be more efficient to mount the bikes horizontally. We had decided on the 1UP until we called the company and they told us the rack would not work with our luggage racks on the back of the bikes! Great disappointment.
So we just ordered a Kuat which looks really good, and we found a coupon for $115 off at Moosejaw, which made it even better!
This thread really helped us narrow down with all the choices out there, so thanks to all of you for your comments.
- Jenny & Ian
Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddys View Post
We had decided on the 1UP until we called the company and they told us the rack would not work with our luggage racks on the back of the bikes! Great disappointment.
So we just ordered a Kuat which looks really good, and we found a coupon for $115 off at Moosejaw, which made it even better!
Curious as to what these luggage racks are, and are they not removable?

No matter though, as that Kuat is a great rack, I have used one with a friend twice, and it worked great. He had yet to try the bike stand that comes with it, but that might be helpful. Plus, getting a big discount.... very nice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #65

The luggage racks are removable, but what a pain!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #66

I don't really see why the 1UP would not work, unless the arm is too big to fit between the frame on the luggage rack. The rear tire arm can be shortened too.

Though, with only one arm on the front, the Kuat will definitely work fine, as the rear tire straps down on it... no arm.

I doubt if we will bring bikes to Osoyoos, but if we do, it would be great to do a side-by-side comparison of the two.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Kuat & Yakima racks are not suitable for use with RV's. Check their websites.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Kuat & Yakima racks are not suitable for use with RV's. Check their websites.
I have to wonder why they say that, and how it would be much different then on a vehicle, or how they differ from other racks that do work there. Granted, there is a bunch more bounce at the back of a trailer, but if they are built tough.......

I had friend follow me on a long road trip, when I was using my Swagman, that said the rack was moving about like it was rubber on the back of our trailer.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #69

Sent an email to a Swagman rep and received this reply from Dave Michael, Director of Sales: You have hit on the major issue facing Swagman in the RV bike rack segment. We need to design a higher end version that is RV Approved. We made a new rack this year called the Dispatch, It is similar to the G10 but we removed the ability for it to fold up as that is a weak spot that doesn’t stand up to the abuses dished out by Travel Trailers.
I would stay away from any racks that aren’t designed for Travel Trailers, I am not sure about 1UP’s warranty for that use? Beautiful racks though….we are big admirers of their work.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
from 1up site:

Quote:
1up USA advises a two bike max for RV and travel trailer usage for our two inch models. The 1 ¼ inch models are not intended for RV and travel trailer use.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #71

After their(Swagman) 3 bike rack listed in post #13 got thrashed(found out later it wasn't RV approved even though it did not have a pivot point) I am very cautious. Their RV approved one talked about on this forum, the XTC2 will take the punishment- it just punishes the bikes too much.

Still waiting for verification on the 1UP. Contacted them and they couldn't/wouldn't give me any referrals for owners using them on RV's, and cannot find any testimonials on the web from anyone.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I doubt if we will bring bikes to Osoyoos, but if we do, it would be great to do a side-by-side comparison of the two.

I for one would appreciate that.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I for one would appreciate that.
I guess I could put the rack on, even if we don't bring bikes. If Jenny and Ian bring theirs, it would be good to compare. In my opinion, the top two racks made, at least for what I have seen or heard about.

I see absolutely no way that the 1UP rack would be a weak link in carrying bikes on a trailer. It is by far the strongest rack I have ever seen. Maybe even overkill, but I would rather err that way.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
I would also appreciate the opportunity to compare the Kuat and 1UP as well, since my wife and I will be purchasing a bike rack at some point after Osoyoos.

Thanks,
Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #75

I am almost ready to pull the trigger Jim. Your coffee rec's were spot on, so I figure this is a safe bet. I realize I ain't never gonna throw the bike into the truck bed.

2" super duty (single) the one to get right?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #76

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have to wonder why they say that, and how it would be much different then on a vehicle, or how they differ from other racks that do work there. Granted, there is a bunch more bounce at the back of a trailer, but if they are built tough.......

I had friend follow me on a long road trip, when I was using my Swagman, that said the rack was moving about like it was rubber on the back of our trailer.
I spoke with a Yakima rep today. The reason they do not recommend their racks for RV/trailers is because of the suspension. They said the rack bounces around too much on a trailer. I am now trying to return my Yakima rack...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Kuat NV, or Sherpa?
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #78

The Kuat NV is the one that seemed to be the strongest and best choice. So that's the one we ordered. So you will have the opportunity to see it at the rally!
- Jenny
Old 03-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #79

Quote:
The Kuat NV is the one that seemed to be the strongest and best choice. So that's the one we ordered. So you will have the opportunity to see it at the rally!
- Jenny
That was definitely my choice of the Kuat racks too, Jenny.

Looking forward to our 6 year reunion.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #80

Quote:
- Jenny
Why would you use a bike rack that the manufacturer says not to use for RV's? BTW, trailers have way more rock & roll on the back than most RV's do.