Bike Rack for 4 Bikes - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
Here is s few pics. I think it's good for men's style bikes but not women's with the angled bar or you need the adapter to go from seat to bars. It's hard to tell from pics but Cherie's bike hangs at quite an angle. We had to buy the adapter bar.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1148a.jpg   IMG_1149a.jpg  
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Thieves?

I do like this 1up configuration, but debating between that and something like the yakima that is secured to the top bar. My only hesitation on the 1up is that I don't see anywhere to lock the bikes to the rack. When stopping somewhere to go into a store or such, what is preventing someone from easily walking away with the bikes? I've got a fairly nice expensive one. How do you lock a bike to the 1up quick rack?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
1UP sells locks that are a bit like a long, skinny hitch lock. I believe they’re actually made by Deadbolt, who makes all manner of hitch and receiver locks. These long pin locks fit through holes in the arms that hold the wheels, so they really only lock the wheels to the rack. I carry a heavy duty chain and pair of Kryptonite disc locks that I attach to the trailer bumper and thread through the frames if we’re going to leave bikes unattended anywhere iffy.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I've had good luck with a 2 inch Hollywood rack from etrailer. (And it clears the spare tire -with no extension.)
It has many of the features that more expensive racks have including being able to tighten it into the receiver. It also comes with a locking cable and a bar that minimizes sway. It is a 4 bike model, but I only carry 2 bikes.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #45

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I do like this 1up configuration, but debating between that and something like the yakima that is secured to the top bar. My only hesitation on the 1up is that I don't see anywhere to lock the bikes to the rack. When stopping somewhere to go into a store or such, what is preventing someone from easily walking away with the bikes? I've got a fairly nice expensive one. How do you lock a bike to the 1up quick rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
1UP sells locks that are a bit like a long, skinny hitch lock. I believe they’re actually made by Deadbolt, who makes all manner of hitch and receiver locks. These long pin locks fit through holes in the arms that hold the wheels, so they really only lock the wheels to the rack. I carry a heavy duty chain and pair of Kryptonite disc locks that I attach to the trailer bumper and thread through the frames if we’re going to leave bikes unattended anywhere iffy.

David,
Check the first photo in post 27. You can see the locks Scott is referring to. There's one on each support arm. I also use two extra long Abus U locks that really secure the bike. I put foam on the top U lock to protect the bike. The bottom lock loops through the frame of the 1UpUSA.
It's overkill, but I got the Abus locks on closeout and nobody is stealing my bike without a battery powered grinder. A grinder will defeat any lock, but they're noisy.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #46

On our 1-up 2-bike rack I run a coated security cable thru the bikes and lock that with a heavy padlock. If someone really wants your bikes they'll get them, but this should slow them down or hopefully make them think twice.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #47

Trailer: 00
The 4 bike issue is an important one to me.

My understanding is that things bounce like crazy at the back so get an RV rated rack like 1up for the back and only put 2 bikes on. Great! That's 2 out of 4 bikes.

Has anyone tried 2 bikes on the back and 2 bikes on the front using the Stromberg Carlson bike bunk or Jack it? I'm wondering if this would work? 2 bikes on a 1up on the back. 2 bikes with a 1up on the front of the trailer above the propane tanks?

Anyone tried it?

Also, regarding why not toss them on the roof. Because it absolutely destroys fuel effiency.

I'm currenly in a Popup and drive 2000kms across the states to get to Colorado. The 4 bikes on the roof kill my fuel effiency almost as much as towing a trailer.

I normally keep the bikes on top off the popup and it doesn't affect mileage too much. Say I get 15L/100kms when towing. I normally get 10-11 L/100kms when not towing. I had to put the bikes on the roof while coming home from Maine (cross rail on popup came loose). Mileage went to 17L/100kms.
Lukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You'll have to explain to most here that when measuring fuel use in Canada, a larger number is not good. 17L/100km is 13.83760469 MPG. 10-11L / 100km is much better ( about 22 mpg ).
Old 10-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have been thinking about getting an e-bike for a year now but still not ready to buy one. Carrying one safely and securely has been the big sticking point. Not ready to spend $500 for the rack you guys like. This looked good on eBay and I bought it. Still no bike, though.

Anyone have one like it? Note here, to attach to my truck the spare tire prevents the hitch shaft from seating any closer to the back bumper. That looks risky. I wouldn't cut it down for the truck and drill a new hole, because then couldn't use the trailer rear hitch.

Guess my question also is is it's considerable weight, 51 pounds, plus another 70 pounds for an e-bike, on the trailer bumper tempting fate, pushing the envelope? Am I overthinking here?
Attached Thumbnails
rackA1.jpg   Rack1.jpg  
Old 10-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Will you be taking the e-bike some of the time or all the time? Maybe remove the spare on the trailer and place it in the tug, for those some of the time? That way you can move the bike rack closer to the trailer...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Donna, that's a good suggestion I never thought about. That works. Since I can't (won't) do much walking, I like a bike for the trails when out there, and, using it for getting needed exercise when not out there. The guy on my right shoulder agrees but the guy on my left keeps wondering if that rack I bought is the right one, while simultaneously badgering me with, "...what's in your wallet?"