Black Streaks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Black Streaks

Had black streaks on my old stick built trailer, always thought the cause was the rubber roof. I now have them on the Escape so the rubber roof theory is out. Do folks on the west coast have these too? wondering about acid rain so I guess you wouldn't have them if you store under a roof.

If you so afflicted, what do you use for removing such? I used Simple Green today but wonder if it's too harsh on the decals and wax.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Had black streaks on my old stick built trailer, always thought the cause was the rubber roof. I now have them on the Escape so the rubber roof theory is out. Do folks on the west coast have these too? wondering about acid rain so I guess you wouldn't have them if you store under a roof.

If you so afflicted, what do you use for removing such? I used Simple Green today but wonder if it's too harsh on the decals and wax.
Check out this thread on rv.net. The key seems to be to dilute it so it won't harm the decals.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Simple Green??
Old 08-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use Turtle Wax Bug 'n' Tar.
Easy peasy. But, I don't know how bad your black streak problem is. No issues with decals.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: padlin... Ever wonder where the rubber goes, when your tires wear out. We live on a secondary highway, that parallels the lake shore. The black streaks appear on "Escape Hatch II" while she's just sitting in the driveway!!! LA's Totally Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store is best I've found. Spray it on the cloth and wipe away the streaks. Then wash the entire trailer specially the roof!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Once you remove any excess of tape around the windows it will help with the black streaks, after that it is caused by the aging of the rubber around the windows. I use Armorall or 303 yearly to keep mine clean and protected, seems to help.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
"LA's Totally Awesome", just sounds so Ronco, right up there with Veg-O-Matic. I'll give it a shot and trim off the extra butyl rubber.

Alf, have you tried getting up to the roof of yours? I'm going to need a bigger ladder.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I've tried several things mentioned but found that "totally awesome" works the best with very little elbow grease required. Plus it works on all kinds of other things as well - and as mentioned above, the price is right.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
"LA's Totally Awesome", just sounds so Ronco, right up there with Veg-O-Matic. I'll give it a shot and trim off the extra butyl rubber.

Alf, have you tried getting up to the roof of yours? I'm going to need a bigger ladder.
Hi: padlin... My thoughts exactly... till I tried it!!!
I bought a 10' step ladder at "Home Despot" right up there with flimsy. The only thing I hate worse than HD. is ladders. 6' is five to many for me.
My wife suggested that I kneel the trailer to make the roof come down to my level...Hmm... Two minds are better than one. Alf
Old 08-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:

While LA's TAC is truly awesome taking care of those black streaks, the best part about buying it is seeing what else a dollar will get you these days. You'll be surprised.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
I've tried several things mentioned but found that "totally awesome" works the best with very little elbow grease required. Plus it works on all kinds of other things as well - and as mentioned above, the price is right.
Hi: Chapitre... I'm going to put LA's to the ultimate test... The BBQ I just haven't muster'd the courage yet!!! Alf
Old 08-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #11

I had put lithium grease on my aluminum rims on my truck to protect them from road salt. When I got to Florida this past spring I tried to clean them, it had hardened and turned black. I tried to clean them had spent 2 hrs or so and various products that were kind of working but with a lot of effort.
A guy in the campground was watching me for a bit, brought out a bottle of Awesome- said I'm not a salesman or anything, but this stuff really works - give it a try. 1/2 hour later all four rims were shiny and bright like new. I was sold. The tried it on the black streaks- says it can be used on fibreglass.
I tried it on my barbeque, it works better than most things- but it wasn't perfect- I should have used a scrub brush, probably would have helped.
'Have No Regrets'
Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #12

If you need to remove excess butyl, use a plastic putty knife so you don't damage surfaces.
But I'm not sure how that will affect black streaks. I've had streaking six inches to the side of a window, so I doubt it's the window gasket that's responsible.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
What dollar store chains do you get that LA Totally Awesome cleaner at?
Alf, I am wondering since you are in canada also.
Will have to check it out.

Have to go down to Camping World this week and maybe I would try a $ store down there too if I haven't found it in Canada..
Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've had streaking six inches to the side of a window, so I doubt it's the window gasket that's responsible.
That's right. Black Streaks happen on all the RV's I've seen. Although the windows gaskets (or any other butyl or rubber item on the exterior) can cause black streaks, the primary reason they occur is because of moisture on a vertical surface. Moisture - and time. Not precipitation, but moisture in the air, that collects as dew, then runs down the trailer at night. If you live/camp in an arid climate, you won't have nearly as much issue with black streaks. They can also be worsened by air pollution. If you live in a place with dirtier air, such as a large city, you're more likely to get them. Even in the country, moisture in the air, dust and dirt in the air, and even tree pollen can still cause black streaks. If it's a vertical surface, the air is dirty and there is enough moisture, you will get black streaks unless you clean frequently. In researching the LA Totally Awesome cleaner mentioned earlier in this thread, I see it's getting rave reviews for black streak removal.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #15

I just found some at our "Dollar Tree" but would you then need to use a wax or something to "protect" the fiberglass?---or does it not remove any wax you may have on there..
We use a"fiberglass oxidization remover and polish" a couple times a year
Old 08-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #16

Don't know L.A. but Turtle Wax Bug 'n' Tar contains wax which can sometimes make the treated area shinier than the surround.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I found that Gel-Gloss cleaner does a good job of removing black streaks and any other spots left after a wash. Applying wax will help reduce the amount of streaks in the first place.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #18

I use the "awesome" to remove the streaks, hose it off as I go. Then go back & do my normal wash of the trailer and wax as needed- I always wax the front, not always the whole trailer.
'Have No Regrets'
Old 08-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I just found some at our "Dollar Tree" but would you then need to use a wax or something to "protect" the fiberglass?---or does it not remove any wax you may have on there..
We use a"fiberglass oxidization remover and polish" a couple times a year
Did some poking around and yes -- the LA's Totally Awesome will remove the wax as well as the dirt. You'd have to re-wax the trailer, but it might be time for that anyway if you've got black streaks.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #20

Thanks guys...can't believe all the stuff that "awesome" cleaner is good for--handy stuff to have..