Blogging? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Blogging?

Hi all!
Am wondering for those of you who do blogs of your travels...
Who do you host with? Free or pay yearly? Can you make your blog private?
Did you buy a domain separately or through where you have your blog?
Did you host for a year or more up front?
Have you had a difficult time posting on the road?
Did you have trouble uploading photos?

Any thoughts you could give would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I do two posts per day - a one photo version to my Google Blogger account & one with more photos to my website at LakeshoreImages. The Blogger account is free, the LakeshoreImages is hosted by 1&1 and cost around $9.99 per month for a single account. While both my sites are public, I believe it is possible to make a blogger account private. That is also possible with a domain based page at 1&1.

I purchased the LakeshoreImages.com domain, pay every 4 months, rarely have difficulty posting to the site unless I'm in Canada where my Verizon hotspot would be far too expensive to use, or in a campground with slow WiFi even in the US when there is no Verizon coverage (such as today here in Seward. AK. Good AT&T, but no Verizon & an intermittent internet at the campground's WiFi).

I use Dreamweaver to build the LakeshoreImages site, & if the internet is not available, build the page anyway & post it (or them) when I find an internet source. Over the last couple of years traveling all over the US & Canada, the longest I've gone without being able to post has been 5 days (in eastern Washington state).
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Hi Lucy,
It's still a learning process with me, but here's what I can say so far:

-- I host with Bluehost, mostly because they are WordPress-friendly and I like hosting my own WordPress site. Also, I have a business that already pays for the hosting, so, for me, it's free. Sort of. I pay yearly (instead of paying for multiple years) because I have hopes of retiring the business at some point. When that happens, I'll have to think about hosting costs for the blog, which I really like doing.

-- Not sure what you mean by 'private,' but since I host my own Wordpress site, I can make it as private or public as I want. I certainly kept it private until I got it working well enough not to be a complete embarrassment. (Now it's only a partial embarrassment).

-- I bought the domain name from Bluehost, but it just doesn't matter, as far as I can determine, who we buy 'em from. Fewer vendors is better, for me.

-- Posting on the road is difficult sometimes, because I like using 'native' WordPress and that means I have to be online to write, and upload pix, and piece together the posts. If the WiFi is iffy at an RV park (typically it is), it's tough. If the mobile carrier coverage (Verizon for me) is iffy at my campsite, it's tough, even with my Wilson Electronics booster. If I'm in some other country and Verizon wants too much money for data coverage and the WiFi is iffy and I'm not willing to go spend half the day in a nearby public library or other hotspot -- if there is one -- then, it's tough. What I'm finding is that I fall behind, and then I have to spend some hours catching up.

-- Uploading photos is a breeze with self-hosted WordPress. Not sure about other services/solutions.

Some day I'll get this all figured out. But if you get it figured out sooner, please share.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #4

Hi Jon and Doug,
Thanks so much for your information! Definitely much appreciated! I've checked out both your blogs... Jon I've viewed yours several times in the past 5 months when you've referenced them in a forum post! Very helpful!
Doug, I enjoy your writing style. I'm mostly thinking of a photo essay so friends and family can see where we've been and to have a record for ourselves to look back on.
I was leaning towards using Bluehost. I've used them before for a few websites...and also leaning toward Wordpress which I've not used before. In my job (which I retired from in Dec) I used Dreamweaver daily and am familiar with it, but I wanted to be able to use my iPad on the road for posting. I have an adapter to import photos from my camera to the iPad so if I can use that to upload that would be ideal. If I can also use Wordpress and go thru Bluehost that would be great!
Thanks guys... You've given me. a good start!
Anyone else do blogging? Would love to hear about how you do it from the road!
Thanks again...
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I use Site5 for hosting. I used to be in the web site business until I retired and keep my account which supports my blog and other nonprofit sites I support. It costs about $10/month and I pay annually for the discounted price. I used Drupal professionally and continue to use it since I know it well. If I were starting over, I would look at Wordpress and sites like Squarespace. I can control security thoroughly with Drupal which is partly why I chose it.

I use namecheap.com for my domain names. I like the flexibility of being able to change hosting sites without any constraints.

I only try to post where I have a good Internet connection. And I can upload photos easily with the software I use for photos. I find that I enjoy myself so much on the trip that I rarely post until I get home. Maybe I will try to change that in the future....

Traveling in Blanquillo | our Escape 19 trailer: "little white thing"
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #6

Blogging

Thanks Bill for the info on how you prepare your blog. Very helpful. Plus your blog is fun to read! I will continue research and hopefully in the next month I will have something in place!
Thanks again!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Old 07-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19'
After a career in web development, I wanted the easiest blog ever! So, I went with free Google blogspot.

I draft blog entries on my laptop using Live Writer and then post the draft to my blog, check it online, then publish.

Finding free WiFi while travelling is the only inconvenience. Mostly, that's because I'm cheap and don't like using my data. It helps to resize photos so you don't upload huge jpegs.

Blogger is public - but all blogs are once you publish them.

I didn't buy a domain - you have a lot of flexibility with Blogspot as long as you accept the blogspot.com suffix.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19'
There is quite a bit of formatting flexibility with blogspot - and it's really easy to use.

If you'd like see mine, check out: Www.RightBrainRightLane.blogspot.com
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Anne H... Thanks for sharing your information on your blogging. I've been looking at blogspot and think it might be a possibility. I need to delve into it some more. If I can make it private I just might do it. I have 43 more days til we leave NH for our exciting adventure to Chilliwack and then meander home. Love your blog!
Thanks!
Lucy
Joe Walsh

Tags
blogging, blogs