Bluetooth instead of built-in stereo? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Bluetooth instead of built-in stereo?

We're just sifting through the options for our Escape 19, including entertainment choices, and would appreciate tips from experienced campers.

[Disclaimer: Before anyone gets the wrong idea, we plan to use our Escape as a base from which to hike and enjoy nature actively, but after a long day on the trail or the road, or when the rain sets in for a week, it's nice to have some high quality entertainment available.]

Music and Podcasts
We have bluetooth-capable devices with music, podcasts, and spoken-word books on them, including our iPhones, an iPad, and two MacBooks, and are considering using them with a high quality portable bluetooth speaker by Bose, Sony, or another manufacturer instead of wiring in a conventional AM/FM/CD player and speakers.

Cloud Content, and Internet Radio
We could play the iTunes library of these devices any time, and whenever we had Wi-Fi access we could stream content from cloud memory, and listen to Internet radio from around the world, including CBC Radio and private stations from back home.

Netflix, YouTube, etc.
We are also considering installing a 22-inch high-def TV and bringing our Apple TV and an HDMI cable to access Netflix and other web-based movie sources when we have Wi-Fi service. This would eliminate the need for a TV antenna and amplifier. We would probably get the wiring for cable, though.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have about how feasible this plan sounds, or whether we have missed anything.

Brent and Cheryl,
Courtenay, BC.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You will not be able to receive cellphone/internet in a lot of areas. I always carry a library of movies on my computer/iphone or dvd. A 22" tv may be a little large for a 19 Escape in the bed area or dinette, but do get a 12v model like this: LED HDTV/DVD combo unit, I just got 2 of these :Amazon.com: NAXA NTD-1552 15.6-Inch Widescreen HD LED TV with Built-in Digital TV Tuner and USB/SD Inputs and DVD Player: Electronics
for the 2 tv locations in the 21'. I also use bluetooth speakers and an internet radio, works like a charm. Remember to carry a NOAA radio also.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When considering a permanent installation ( a hole ), think about how many cell phones you've had in the last ten years, or TVs, DVD players. Remember VCRs?
I've got a cheapo 7" DVD player that I can hook up to my 13" flat screen ( 12V ). I've dragged DVDs around for about three years and watched one once.
Mostly we listen to Sirius/XM radio ( CBC, Radio Classics, or a music channel ).
I've got a dock for it and a dock for my iPod.
I hooked up to cable once and it took more than 20 minutes for the TV to "memorize" the channels at that RV park. By that time, we were off doing something else.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I'm going through a similar decision process right now. I spent some time comparing the Bose Soundlink II, Soundlink Mini and Sony Premium Bluetooth Wireless Speaker last weekend thinking that one of them would do well. In short, I much preferred the sound of the Sony but the Soundlink II has a 12V adapter, and would take up much less counter space.

On the otherhand I'm thinking of a Bluetooth car stereo install. Also works off 12V and don't have to worry about it taking up counter space, taking up a 12V charger spot, stowing it away when towing, etc.

Still undecided...
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I'm about to buy a cheap portable bluetooth speaker (Oontz angle). We'll likely only use it in the trailer so it's not worth more money to us. We like bringing along my husband's Surface, and just watch movies or tv on that. It holds a charge well and can get us through a weekend of boondocking while letting us watch if we get stuck in the rain, but it's not very loud so the speaker should help a bunch. We'll also be able to use the speaker to stream music from either of our phones, because sometimes you just need music even out in the middle of nowhere!
I'm never going to bother buying a tv for the trailer, but would just bring my laptop if we were going to have hookups and stream on that. We have cable at home but never use it (we only have it at all because it's cheaper to have basic cable and internet because of a promotion), instead we have a roku and use hulu plus and amazon prime instant. So we're not huge tv watchers, and ymmv
Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
The wife asked me today if we unplugged the PVR and put it in the trailer if it would play back whats on it without the cable connection.
You can put a lot of stuff on these 500G hard drives but will it play back.? Things that make you go Hummm.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #7

Best try it at home.
Whenever there is an issue, Shaw tells me to unplug the power for 20 seconds and plug it in again.
So, I'd try that, but disconnect the cable as well and don't reconnect it when you plug it back in.
However, they seem to be able to take full control of the PVR remotely, so, there could well be code coming through the cable that would prevent it from working without.
You can get a portable DVD player for $79 and plug that in to your TV. Weighs a heck of a lot less and takes up way less space than the PVR.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Other option is downloading to a lap top and connecting that to a TV ( or not ). You can watch live TV if you have WiFi, and read the Forum. Probably the lightest, most compact and versatile solution.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Your right, all I have to do is disconect the input cable where it is and see if it plays back whats already on the HD. Good Idea. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
We have a minimalist approach. We have recorded movies on our PVR at home and transferred them to DVDs and take a dozen or so of them with us when we travel. We can play them on my 15" MacBook Pro and have some extra speakers to improve the sound. The last few times we have been camping there was so much going on we did not watch a single movie! When we have done winter camping we did watch a few since the evenings were long, although that is also an opportunity to do some reading or even talking to one another. What an idea!

For radio my wife has a small portable AM/FM radio which runs on batteries or AC, and we like to listen to NPR when we are in the US or CBC in Canada. This fills us in on news if we want to know.

We do carry US and Canadian cell phones but only occasionally turn them on. We do check emails on our computers every once in a while. These devices are for our convenience.

Generally we consider our trailer camping an escape from city life and the incessant noise of TV. We enjoy seeing the country and having some peace and quiet.

You have to decide how much of your normal life you want to take with you. We like to leave most of it behind.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP6934sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
The wife asked me today if we unplugged the PVR and put it in the trailer if it would play back whats on it without the cable connection.
You can put a lot of stuff on these 500G hard drives but will it play back.? Things that make you go Hummm.
I doubt the PVR would work without being plugged into the cable.

Knowing we were disconnecting cable for our move but I was staying behind to finish work I asked our supplier (Rogers) if I'd still be able to watch recorded shows once the cable was disconnected, they said sure. So I recorded some movies, then when returning from our move, turned on the PVR to get the message "not authorized" The useless PVR is now going to electronics recycling (we don't have Rogers in MB), and I've had to resort to renting 99 cent specials on iTunes to watch over the Apple TV.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We have had at least four PVRs for two different satellite systems (no cable at our house) and I think all have worked for playback without a satellite signal... although it can take a while for them to give up on getting a signal, and some specific button has to be pushed to tell it to start working on its own.

No guarantees... time to test!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote