Broken Bolts on Propane Tank Holder - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #21

Trailer: ?
And as I took everything apart, I noticed that the rubber propane hose that goes to the trailer passes through a hole in the propane platform resulting in the soft rubber rubbing against the hard metal.
Fixed with a scrap of split plastic wire protector left from another project. A scrap of pipe insulation would also work.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
And as I took everything apart, I noticed that the rubber propane hose that goes to the trailer passes through a hole in the propane platform resulting in the soft rubber rubbing against the hard metal.
That's disappointing. I wonder if they are all routed that way? The hose could be re-routed more appropriately.

Quote:
Fixed with a scrap of split plastic wire protector left from another project. A scrap of pipe insulation would also work.
Those work. The intended bit for this purpose is a grommet, traditionally of rubber.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 2019 21'
I replaced the hard plastic cover with a soft cover that functions much better for me.
vmomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Tremclad semi-gloss is a much better match than gloss or flat.
It appears that Tremclad semi-gloss is the Canadian brand for Rust-oleum in the US. Is that correct?
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
It appears that Tremclad semi-gloss is the Canadian brand for Rust-oleum in the US. Is that correct?

Same uses. Not sure that it is the same paint. Home Depot here sells Rust-oleum.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:

Ed
I removed , cleaned , primed and repainted our propane tank tray and frame
I placed a 30 mil plastic seperator between the trailer frame and the propane tray
and reattached the tray with SS fasteners
Thanks Ed for pointing out the issue of the propane hose rubbing on the propane tray
I made a chase nipple out of schedule 40 PVC and then ran the propane hose through the chase nipple . Has to be better than the hose rubbing on metal .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Ed
Saw the discussion about the propane tank tray . So today decided to remove tanks and take a look . Damn, the propane line coming up from bottom of trailer has been rubbing on the sharp metal . Would it not be common sense to protect that hose ?
Another fix to do with this trailer and I am pissed ! This is a safety issue ! Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0551.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Agree Pat, that desperately needs a grommet of some kind. Guess I've got another project before we leave on our upcoming trips. I'm thinking some of the bicycle inner tube along the top of the frame between the tank tray and frame. I'll await your approach to the unprotected main line eagerly, as you always come up with good solutions.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Saw the discussion about the propane tank tray . So today decided to remove tanks and take a look . Damn, the propane line coming up from bottom of trailer has been rubbing on the sharp metal . Would it not be common sense to protect that hose ?
Another fix to do with this trailer and I am pissed ! This is a safety issue ! Pat
Pat : Just a suggestion , When your modifying your propane tank plate , if you have a power tongue jack check the 12 VDC red wire feeding the jack . When working on my propane tray this morning , I discovered they tyraped the jack feed wire to the metal rod holding the safety chains . That would be okay if the rod was smooth but unforrunately that was not the case
I cut the tyrap , filed the rod until it was smooth , taped the bad spot in the wire , sleeved the wire in plastic tubing and tyraped the wire back in place .
Luckily I caught the problem before the wire shorted out at some inopportune time .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Agree Pat, that desperately needs a grommet of some kind. Guess I've got another project before we leave on our upcoming trips. I'm thinking some of the bicycle inner tube along the top of the frame between the tank tray and frame. I'll await your approach to the unprotected main line eagerly, as you always come up with good solutions.
Hi Greg when I feel that area of the hose it has been rubbing (cutting) the rubber . I think I want to find a rubber grommet to protect the hose . When I fix the tray again (paint) I did once already , check to make sure that hose is ok . Check yours too Greg before you go . Want to also do something to that tray rusting . I need to settle down . Pat
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Pat : Just a suggestion , When your modifying your propane tank plate , if you have a power tongue jack check the 12 VDC red wire feeding the jack . When working on my propane tray this morning , I discovered they tyraped the jack feed wire to the metal rod holding the safety chains . That would be okay if the rod was smooth but unforrunately that was not the case
I cut the tyrap , filed the rod until it was smooth , taped the bad spot in the wire , sleeved the wire in plastic tubing and tyraped the wire back in place .
Luckily I caught the problem before the wire shorted out at some inopportune time .
Hi Steve put the cover back on for today but will definetly check that line . Hopefully it 's ok because I installed my jack . But again thanks for the head's up ! Pat
Old 05-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:

Ed

Not sure if this is the same as yours, but I have no concern with chafing of the hose. In the second pic you can see the area of the hose that should be a problem, if it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane 1.jpg   Propane 2.jpg  
Old 05-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I used some pipe insulation around the propane line, with some good electrical tape to secure it. Just checked my 2015 installation: still there doing its job.
(Edit: the bungie holds the plastic propane tank cover from flying off in the breeze!)
Attached Thumbnails
propane line protector.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure if this is the same as yours, but I have no concern with chafing of the hose. In the second pic you can see the area of the hose that should be a problem, if it was.
Glenn you sure lucked out . Not the case with us later on . Don't remember if you got the front box , that makes a difference . In any case should of had some protection on ours . We travel with our gas on for our refrigerator . Working to fix ours now . Needing paint , so it has to dry . Pat
Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Greg decided to clean up the tray and paint with Rustolem paint . Went and bought some braided hose , slit down the middle and applied . Couldn't find a grommet to fit so rigged something up . Filled up my tanks , touched up some rust and used the slit vinyl hose on bottom of tanks . Might help from tanks moving around . Decided not to cover bottom of tray , worried about water sitting and making more rust . While I was checking things out , ordered 2 new hoses for tank , be here tomorrow. I think all of us pretty much are solving this alike . Just glad I caught it . Besides leaking gas , propane is not cheap here . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0553.jpg   IMG_0552.jpg  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #36

Just finished before the rain starts . First cleaned tray and painted . Put slit vinyl hoses on bottom of tanks and the main line for propane . Decided on some extra's as others mentioned added nuts to the all thread , now it doesn't fall down when removing tanks for filling . Drilled as others have done to install a lock . Had a cable through tanks but lock is cleaner .
I know it
just stops opportunists but I feel better . Changed to 2 new hoses . All together and I feel fine . Pat

Also the extra benefit for the vinyl on bottom of tanks , they don't move around anymore . Everything is more solid . Yay !
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0553.jpg   IMG_0555.jpg   IMG_0556.jpg   IMG_0557.jpg  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just finished before the rain starts . First cleaned tray and painted . Put slit vinyl hoses on bottom of tanks and the main line for propane . Decided on some extra's as others mentioned added nuts to the all thread , now it doesn't fall down when removing tanks for filling . Drilled as others have done to install a lock . Had a cable through tanks but lock is cleaner .
I know it
just stops opportunists but I feel better . Changed to 2 new hoses . All together and I feel fine . Pat

Also the extra benefit for the vinyl on bottom of tanks , they don't move around anymore . Everything is more solid . Yay !
One more Vinyl on bottom of tank . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0554.jpg  
Old 05-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Nice job, Pat.
Sorry about the rain: I washed both vehicles yesterday afternoon.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Nice job, Pat.
Sorry about the rain: I washed both vehicles yesterday afternoon.
Thanks Don . Waiting for rain to go away and just driving around with spotted vehicle . Hey your solution was great too for the propane main line for protection
Old 10-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #40

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Longer angle could possibly interfere with WDH bracket.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote