Build questions? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Build questions?

Can anyone tell me what the inverter 1500W is, its purpose and value in including it in the camper?

What is the white belly band?

What is the heat strip for the AC? Valuable to have or not?

MAXX Fan 7500 upgrade, good value and important or splurge?

Wireless backup camera.......do most get and have value or not many get nor use?

Sorry the curse of being new!!!
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Hi Michael. My responses inline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
Can anyone tell me what the inverter 1500W is, its purpose and value in including it in the camper?

An inverter changes DC (battery) power into AC power (household type). If you plan to install regular (non 12 Volt) outlets or run anything that uses regular household outlets, you need an inverter. Otherwise, you don't.

The "belly band" is a piece of vinyl trim that goes around the center of the trailer. Stock is black colored. Escape will install a white one as an option. In my case, I changed it to a red one to match my graphics a few months ago.

The heat strip for the AC means you can use the AC as a heater. Your trailer comes with a propane heater, so personally, I don't see the need. Others may differ.

The upgraded Maxx fan means you'll have a remote control to adjust the fan speed. They also offer the smoked gray version instead of white. Your choice.

Wireless backup camera.......do most get and have value or not many get nor use?

We don't have a backup camera on the trailer. Most folks don't get it as an option, but it is becoming more popular. Many folks have found it useful.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Added answers below. Remember you will get as many opinions as folks who respond. Take it all in for what it is worth, and in the end make a decision that works best for you and your camping style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
The inverter takes 12V DC and transforms it to 120V DC, so you can use 120V AC appliances if desired. Caution though, this discharges batteries quick.
The belly band is the cover for the seam created when the two shell halves are glassed together. In the past it was always black, now they offer white.
It is a small element that goes in the A/C to use it for heat. Most of what I have heard, is that it is a waste.
I believe this just adds a remote control.
Some love it, others (like me) could care less.
Sorry the curse of being new!!!

edit: Boy, that young Robert guy is fast.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
The belly band is the strip of plastic around the trailer at the mid section where the top and bottom half are fiberglassed together. I assume it hides the seam. Most people get a color stripe on it which matches the graphic color they use. Someone wanted white only.

I think the heat strip allows the A/C to operate as a heater (heat pump?) so it can provide heat during cold nights instead of just cold A/C on hot days and nights. Not needed if you use the propane furnace but you need to have hookups to use the A/C so it could be your heat source on cold nights instead of using propane.

The MaxxFan upgrade comes with the remote and the dark cover allows light into the trailer but it doesn't diffuse it. The $100.00 upgrade comes with a translucent cover and apparently it will glow at night if you are parked under a street light or near another light source. Both allow the fan to be used during heavy rain without worrying about leaks.

Wireless backup. Up to you. I am pondering this option also, some people have hard wired a backup camera.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sounds like you will have a lot of questions.
Suggest you try the Google Site Search as most things have been covered numerous times. But, since things change, it's best to confirm once you have an understanding of various features.
Attached Thumbnails
Search Forum.png  
Old 09-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I think the heat strip allows the A/C to operate as a heater (heat pump?) so it can provide heat during cold nights instead of just cold A/C on hot days and nights. Not needed if you use the propane furnace but you need to have hookups to use the A/C so it could be your heat source on cold nights instead of using propane.
The heat strip is a small electric element inside the air conditioner distribution box. The standard Dometic AC units offered by Escape do not operate as a heat pump (reverse refrigeration cycle). The heat strip is less than half the BTU's compared to the propane furnace so not really considered viable as a primary heat source in colder climates. Would take the edge off in moderate weather, but you have to deal with the noise of the overhead AC fan as the blower. You'd be better off with a small, quiet electric ceramic heater.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Inverter - Changes (inverts?) 12v DC to 120V AC so you can use a microwave, hair dryer, Vita Mix or another blender whenever you are camping where there are no (electric) hookups. If you frequently use KOA type campgrounds with power you won't use the inverter very much. Likewise if you don't plan on using the microwave while boon docking you may not need it. Someone mentioned adapting a lithium ion drill to operate the Vita Mix and to me that is an intriguing idea.

I don't plan on getting the invertor option as it won't run an A/C, I don't think I will need a microwave (my wife won't use the one we have at home)
although I do use it and $1500.00 seems like a lot of money to run a hair dryer and blender. Still, we have two vita mixes and need a way to use them.

Converter - Changes (converts) 120v AC to 12v DC so you can charge the batteries while on 120v shore power. You can also use the 12v appliances, lights etc while on 120v shore power and the convertor will keep the batteries charged. It is also part of the EMS and controls power from the solar panels to the batteries. This is a standard feature.

MaxxFan 7500K w Smoke Grey cover- I want this option. On other forums people have mentioned that you can look up thru the smoke cover and see the sky but light shining thru it just hits the floor. The 7000K upgrade often glows if there is an outside light nearby. I like things as dark as possible. The fan is ten speed, reversible, operates in ceiling fan mode and the remote allows you to control it from bed. Seems important to me as the night time temps get colder and colder. Google the MaxsFan and you can see the standard and option pictures.

Heat strip on A/C. I don't have this on my option list but I have heard of it. I'm not planning to get the A/C so I haven't given it much thought. In fact, I assumed the A/C is a heat pump and can operate on cold or hot. Guess not.

Many people have complained that the A/C is noisy. It may be louder than the propane furnace and if the noise bothers you at night you might not like it. My bedroom is pretty loud. I use a HEPA fan running and a noise generator on my smartphone. It keeps me from waking up at any creak or pop. I can sleep with noise but don't like too much light.

I'm also new here and have a 5.0 TA for July 2017 delivery. There is a lot of information on this site but you will still have questions to ask so ask away.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds like you will have a lot of questions.
Suggest you try the Google Site Search as most things have been covered numerous times. But, since things change, it's best to confirm once you have an understanding of various features.
Plus, you will find answers to questions you never even had.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
edit: Boy, that young Robert guy is fast.
Thanks old timer. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
SFDavis50, the inverter with transfer switch is $850. The 1500 is watts, not dollars! Slightly more afffordable than that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote