Build Sheet Help - Inverters - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
This discussion of the Escape inverter has mentioned the possibility of using a hair dryer. I looked at my wife's hair dryer and it is rated at 1875 watts. I went looking for a 1500 watt dryer but only found higher rated dryers up to 2200 watts. This little hand held appliance would make a Honda 2000 groan. Is the Escape invertor capable of running a hair dryer for a short time?
Me thinks there is a bit of creative advertising going on here. You'd need 20 amp circuits to run those. Even the 1875 is stretching things. 120VAC x 15A = 1800w
Old 10-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You have to remember that the wattage is dependent on the heat level. I used my wife's hairdryer on low heat without a problem in our 19 with 1 group 29 battery and 1500 inverter.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #43

Even if the wattage exceeded that available from a converter, would it not still run? You just wouldn't get more heat then the available amperage can provide.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Ever try that Nescafe Fantastico or something like that? It's usually labelled in spanish which I find curious but tastes pretty darn good!

Nothing worse than middle of the night cop coffee! Right on Donna!
Oh, NO. Illusion shattered! I had always thought that our friends in law enforcement shared the Fire Service' accurate perceptions concerning coffee, real coffee.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Oh, NO. Illusion shattered! I had always thought that our friends in law enforcement shared the Fire Service' accurate perceptions concerning coffee, real coffee.
Nope, strictly old school here! Microwaved hot water in a Styrofoam cup and a capful of instant. Did I mention Creamora? Guaranteed to keep us up through an all night shift! I know first hand the fire folks definitely enjoy the finer side of life.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hair dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Me thinks there is a bit of creative advertising going on here. You'd need 20 amp circuits to run those. Even the 1875 is stretching things. 120VAC x 15A = 1800w
I just measured hair dryer power usage with a Watt Meter. On high, the dryer/blower uses 1490 watts. On low it uses 400 watts. Looks like the invertor can handle the air dryer.
Steve
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I melted the plug for an inverter once by running a one-cup coffee maker on it.
It was a low wattage appliance ( which is why I bought it ). The first cup was fine; the second cup right after the first, melted the 12V plug.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Even if the wattage exceeded that available from a converter, would it not still run? You just wouldn't get more heat then the available amperage can provide.
I would expect the inverter's circuit breaker, or the circuit breaker in the distribution panel fed by the inverter, to trip. If the inverter just dropped the voltage of its output then you would get operation with less heat, but I wouldn't expect the inverter to do that. One could experiment...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #49

Why would the circuit breaker pop? it can't produce more power then it's speced out for. It it's a 1000 w inverter and you plug in a 1500w heater, I would expect the inverter to just put out it's 1000 watts, leaving the heater to limp along on that. Voltage level wouldn't be effected, just the amperage.

Am I looking at this wrong?
Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Why would the circuit breaker pop? it can't produce more power then it's speced out for. It it's a 1000 w inverter and you plug in a 1500w heater, I would expect the inverter to just put out it's 1000 watts, leaving the heater to limp along on that. Voltage level wouldn't be effected, just the amperage.
You can't independently choose voltage and current. A heater's fan motor is small compared to the heating element, so this is basically just putting a resistor across the power supply - roughly 120*120/1500 = 9.6 ohms. If you apply 120 volts across 9.6 ohms, 12.5 amps will flow - no choice. That wouldn't pop a 15 amp breaker, because this example is only a 1500 watt heater... not the 1875 watt hair dryer discussed earlier.

If the inverter can't supply 12.5 amps, it won't be able to sustain the 120 volts. 1000 watts into 9.6 ohms would be 10.2 amps... at only 98 volts. The 1000-watt inverter could:
  • supply 12.5 amps at 120 volts and operate beyond its rated capacity, or
  • shut down due to excessive load resulting from supplying an excessive 12.5 amps at 120 volts, or
  • drop to 98 volts and thus 10.2 amps to limit output power (which I think is unlikely to be sustained), or
  • some sort of compromise, such as supplying 11.5 amps at 110 volts (for 1260 watts) until the excessive load causes overheating.
In any case, you can't just decide to supply less current; the voltage determines how much current flows. To supply less current, you supply less voltage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
This discussion of the Escape inverter has mentioned the possibility of using a hair dryer. I looked at my wife's hair dryer and it is rated at 1875 watts. I went looking for a 1500 watt dryer but only found higher rated dryers up to 2200 watts. This little hand held appliance would make a Honda 2000 groan. Is the Escape invertor capable of running a hair dryer for a short time?
My hairdryer has low, medium and high settings and the number of amps used, of course, is quite different depending. Yes, one can be used but would stay low and not for long. Hairdryers are all different. There are little travel versions also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter