Build sheet questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've blown fuses, fried my boards and overloaded my motherboard. I need to reboot me again and run on reserve power. LOL

Did a search for 12V microwave, hair dryer (which I don't need a hair dryer and you'll understand why if you've met me. ) and just about anything you have at home that's 120V is available in 12V. The microwaves are kind of pricy, around $240 - $550, but they are available. Gotta love technology.

Looks like a 1000-3000W after-market inverter is the most cost effective solution and the factory one is the most convenient and best over-all. I remember the days of cans of sterno, bottles of propane, D-cells, matches and ruffing it. Now I take advantage of all technology has to offer. The older I get, the more my body disagrees with what my mind wants to do.

When in doubt, go camping.
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #42

It's funny. I keep looking at other RVs and seeing what the others have to offer and I keep coming up with the same response. I'm getting an Escape. I've never felt so comfortable with a purchase decision and the entire fiberglass community is a great deal of help and even a source of humor.

Thanks to all.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
This has been a very helpful thread.

Liz and I had were planning on putting in an inverter. We r now leaning away from it.

However, like Donna we r planning for the future and believe preplanning prewiring as much as possible is the way to go. Luckily we have a few more months before we have to submit our Buildsheet

I go back and forth on it. We'll be putting in solar and at least 2 batteries. Will be doing both full hook up and dry camping.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksAlot View Post
Did a search for 12V microwave...
The 12VDC-powered microwave selection is miniscule. I would buy a light and low-powered 120V AC microwave oven (that is, the cheapest thing in Walmart), and an inverter. The total cost would be no more than the 12VDC microwave, it would probably work better, the inverter would run other stuff as well, and when the microwave dies it could be replaced for fifty bucks, instead of another few hundred.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 12VDC-powered microwave selection is miniscule. I would buy a light and low-powered 120V AC microwave oven (that is, the cheapest thing in Walmart), and an inverter. The total cost would be no more than the 12VDC microwave, it would probably work better, the inverter would run other stuff as well, and when the microwave dies it could be replaced for fifty bucks, instead of another few hundred.
When "upper management" (aka Liz) reads this post I bet this will be the route we go.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I tried out my on special Canadian Tire 1500 , 3000 surge, watt inverter today. Ran my electric drill and a hair dryer OK. Nice to have both a display with volts and amps and it has a remote control. For $89 well worth having for occasional use. Can't believe the price though. My first inverter in the 80's was a fraction of that power and several times the price.

Only thing about the modified sine wave ones, as opposed to true sine wave ones, is they're not recommended for LCD tv's. So that might be a consideration for some folks. An inexpensive one that does most things or a more expensive one that's good for delicate electronics.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
When "upper management" (aka Liz) reads this post I bet this will be the route we go.
Larry, if you're looking for ways to keep an inverter out of the trailer, or for justification for a cool 12VDC microwave oven, I'll note that appliances do vary in their tolerance for the nearly square-wave output of inexpensive inverters, so acceptable operation of the cheap 120 VAC microwave from a cheap inverter of any size is not guaranteed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We've used small inexpensive microwaves over the years and never had an issue. Technically they're slightly less efficient with a modified sine wave but we've never really noticed a difference.

I should say, over the 25 or so years we've used inverters in boats, campers and our Scamp probably the most common use has been a 110V vacuum. They seem to have more power than the 12V versions. A lot of time we use it when the engine is running, just before departure or on the boat while underway so power usage isn't really an issue.

The early one's didn't have USB outlets, the new ones do. That's a bonus, I can retire my plug into the 12V socket one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Absolutely. The 12V is available and I'm sure it works pretty well, but it's certainly not cost effective. The small 120V microwave with your choice of inverter is far less expensive. But the microwave is one of those must haves for me when your busy at a rally for instance and just want a quick meal.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nothing wrong with opening a can of beans and eating them cold.
No dishes either.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nothing wrong with opening a can of beans and eating them cold.
No dishes either.

ROFL. Yes. The musical fruit. All campers in close proximity will enjoy that too.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
There are a TON of meals that can be made up in 5-10 minutes via conventional cooking. We don't even use a microwave at home for cooking, mostly just reheating things. I have choked down a few cans of cold beans in my life too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
But I need an inverter to operate my electric can opener………!!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You need to carry a P38. Best little can opener in the world - been carrying one on my keychain since Viet Nam.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 21
It is very nearly time to turn in our build list and we are beyond excited....so much so that we might end up adding two or three of everything! Ha! We have added and subtracted items for the last few months, but I think we have it very nearly done. So much fun and so exhausting at the same time as we try to figure out if we are doing everything the right way for us now and in the future. But it really has been great fun and now it is only 76 days until we pick up our new 21!

Thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences and their ideas---it all has been so helpful during our Escape planning! We have learned so much! And we can't wait to post our build pictures!!!

Any last bits of wisdom for us on the eve of turning in our build list?
tash is offline   Reply With Quote