Build sheet questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Build sheet questions

Just finishing up our build sheet for our 19, I'm on the fence regarding the range hood and thinking about deleting it and putting in a light. How many of you actually use it or have deleted it? We plan to cook outside where possible
Also, the 1500w inverter is a costly option, we plan to dry camp more than hooking up and will have the solar package. Trying to justify adding as a convenience without really knowing how often we would use it - any comments?
Phones and laptops can be charged easily in the TV.
Total cost is coming in at $36k - I think we need to call this trailer the Faberge Egg!
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
While I cook mainly outside or in the zapper, I do use the hood for the occasional venting of inside cooking, as well as the light and of course for magnets and my magnetic towel rack!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We removed the range hood, went with the two burner stove. We cook inside, but the windows and the fan move lots of air.

We also skipped the inverter and have the solar option. So far, charging from the 12v works fine for us for electronics and we don't have any 110 appliances like a microwave or toaster oven or coffee maker that would need an inline inverter.

The more we use the trailer, the more we are happy with our choices.

Kelly
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #4

We have and love the 1500W inverter:
daily to run a small coffee grinder
2x to defrost something in the microwave
multiple times to power a dremel rotary tool

We do not have the vent hood:
breakfast = percolator coffee and eggs or oatmeal cooked inside daily
lunch = sandwiches/fruit/salad
dinner = cooked outside if at all possible
It would be nice for breakfast, but I really like the open-ness without it. We prefer without the hood.

Doug
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Range hood is a great place for fridge magnets ( if you don't get stainless ).
Makes quite a racket. Besides, I keep forgetting to open the vent to outside.
We don't cook inside much at all, and when boiling water sets off the smoke detector, I just turn on the Max fan.
If you're gonna fry bacon because it's pouring rain and you've nothing better to do than make breakfast, you'll appreciate it.
Glad I have it, all considered.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I use the stove hood in my sticks 'n bricks home a lot. Especially to remove moisture when boiling something. I don't want that moisture washing over the cabinets. Besides, have you ever cleaned a hood? They get really gunked up over time. That gunk is going to go somewhere if you don't have a hood. Cabinets? Wall covering? Upholstery? Shades?

I'm buying my Escape because I want to increase the amount of camping I do to more shoulder seasons and mild winters. I don't expect it will be dry enough to cook outside all the time. Consequently... the hood. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had at one time thought I would not put one in my next trailer, but now I am back in the camp of getting one. Though not used a lot, it is great for removing steam and odours from what is on the stove, instead of pulling this air across the trailer to the ceiling fan. I cleaned out our hood fan last year, and am glad that that grunge was not on the workings of the ceiling fan.

I do not have an inverter as I have nothing to use it for. We have fashioned our RVing style to be independent of 120V, as it is rarely an option anyway. All cooking, coffee, etc is done on a stove, BBQ or fire. I grind my coffee manually, as I have not yet found a good portable burr grinder, though would look at one if it was 12V DC.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Like many others, I don't cook very often in the trailer, but when I do I always run the hood. I've also run it when making toast to keep the smoke detector quiet! I did change the amp to an LED.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The lamp can be changed to a led and it can be brighter, almost as bright as the other stock lights, depends on the size of the led replacement. Here is mine
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1122.JPG  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Bcdonaher;49190
Also, the 1500w inverter is a costly option, we plan to dry camp more than hooking up and will have the solar package. Trying to justify adding as a convenience without really knowing how often we would use it - any comments?
[/QUOTE]

I just bought a 1500 watt, 3000 surge, inverter today on sale for $89. At that price it's worth it to me to have it even if it only gets used occasionally. Never say never

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #11

If you need to run an electric coffee maker, instead of heating water over the propane stove and using a cone filter to make coffee, then you need a 1,500 watt inverter.
If you need to microwave broccoli instead of using a steamer on the propane stove, then you need a 1,500 watt inverter.
If you need to use a hair dryer instead of basking in the sun, then you need a 1,500 watt inverter.
There are so many ways of doing without one.
For charging your laptop and phone, you need maybe a 200 watt inverter that plugs into the 12V outlet.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Does the hood fan run on 12v or 120V and if the latter, does the optional inverter/ transfer combo power it--- or is that a power sucking feature...and are there any online penalties for run on sentences
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #13

Runs on 12V and makes enough noise that you don't have to worry about leaving it on longer than necessary.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Thanks, I guess
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
On our stick trailer we don't use the hood, too noisy. When we choose to cook inside the fantastic fan does a good job. I have seen folks that replaced the stock fan with computer boxer fans to quiet it down. The hood is not on our build list.

I'm also skipping the inverter, for now. The only reasons I would go with one would be for the microwave or a hair drier, neither of which is very practical when not on hookups. I'll keep it in mind as an add on though as we're planning on more and longer trips with the Escape.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #16

I'm getting a range hood too. The light is nice, but with my hazardous pyrotechnic cooking skills, it's good to have it, or the smoke detector becomes a real pain.

The cost of the inverter to me isn't cost effective. Most devices I use in my camper are 12V, so either pickup a less expensive after-market one, or a small generator.
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 21' Escape
I have solar and bought a 600 watt inverter for $49.00, it plugs in and I can use it for television and charging which is all I need it for. As for the range hood, on our recent trip from Chilliwack ( 11 nights) there was only one night that the weather allowed us to cook outside. Either rain, cold or wind was present when it was time to cook so we had to cook inside and I found the range hood a necessity. The fan is an option but I didn't want cold air blowing through the trailer.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...I cleaned out our hood fan last year, and am glad that that grunge was not on the workings of the ceiling fan...
Exactly! I would much rather clean the gunk out of the hood fan than the ceiling, cupboards, and maxi-fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...I do not have an inverter as I have nothing to use it for. We have fashioned our RVing style to be independent of 120V, as it is rarely an option anyway...
ditto!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
For charging your laptop and phone, you need maybe a 200 watt inverter that plugs into the 12V outlet.
We use 12V chargers, or you can get a 12V plug that has one or two USB charging outlets on it, and just use the USB cable from your AC charger.

I have a 300W inverter somewhere, but it hasn't been used since I bought my Escape 19..
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #20

Thanks everyone for your input. Now that my wife has seen hair dryer twice in these posts (the thought never entered her mind until now!) Can someone please explain battery drain on running a dryer for 15mins so she can see it!
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote