Build Sheet questions: Down to the wire - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21. 2016 Kia Sorento EX+ V6
Send a message via Skype™ to travdes
Post Build Sheet questions: Down to the wire

We're now about 6 days away from our confirmation deadline for our 21. I think I'm pretty much set on most of the options which I'll paste below for those interested. The last option I'm still struggling with is the bathroom window. What purpose does it serve that I'm unaware of? Given that its frosted its not useful for looking out, and I assume the vent will remove moisture. Is there another need for it?
  • Oven with 3 Burner (Wife loves to bake, while we've never baked camping before, we didn't want to limit ourselves)
  • Foot Flush Toilet . (Convenience)
  • Exterior shower (Not sure, which side yet, just used to wash dogs off)
  • Dual v6 Batteries . (Intend to work remotely while boondocking)
  • 2 170W Solar Panels (Intend to work remotely while boondocking)
  • Surge Protector
  • Removable Power Cord (Increased Flexibility
  • Power Awning (We wanted the ability to put it away without going outside, plus I hit my head on the damn manual ones more times then I can count as a child)
  • Air Conditioner (We wanted the flexibility of leaving our pets in the Air Conditioned Trailer if we leave for an hr or two)
  • Backup Camera (Towing Newbie, wanted any help I could get)
  • TV Ready (We don't intend to use one now, but we didn't want to limit our choices later. We may decide to bring our movie server with us for longer trips)
  • Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (We intend to 3-4 season camp, and it rains a lot here!)
  • Additional Frt Window ((We wanted the extra light and vowed whatever trailer we got it would have lots of windows to see the outdoors)
  • Aluminum Rims (Purely looks, bright white steel rims with off white trailer looks off.)
  • Power Tongue Jack (Towing newbie wanted to make it easier)
  • Exterior Access Hatch (Both sides) (We're not sure what we're storing where yet but I wanted to open some flexibility)
  • Exterior Propane Quick Connect (We intend to doo 90% of our cooking outdoors)
  • Spray Foam Insulation (Protection + Shoulder season camping)
  • Storage Box (Needed the extra storage since our TV is small)
  • Convert Bench to U Shaped (It's only two of us, and we didn't want to pick a layout that would rarely be filled out + we liked the lounging aspect.
  • Frame-less window above nightstand (Extra Light)
  • Additional 12v/USB beside 120v at dinette (Powering Macbook)
  • Exterior LED at belly band ((We wanted flexibility to come/go when it was dark. )
  • Counter Extension at end of kitchen sink
  • Custom Flooring: Mannington Havana Tobacco
  • Custom Formica: Ebony Oxide
  • Custom Fabric: Sunbrella Valor Char
  • Graphic Color: Slate gray with no pinstriping . I loved the look of "NW Cat Owner"'s trailer, but I felt that Escape should be able to market themselves, so I left the branding.
  • Customer Supplied Ubmra hooks (not sure where yet)
Attached Thumbnails
130202_Havana_Tobacco.jpg   Sunbrella-40502-0009-Valor-Char-54-Upholstery-Fabric_2.jpg   00299 (1).jpg  
travdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For the same reason the extra window over the nightstand would be for the bath, extra light plus ventilation in that tiny room, the door is vented so a window in the bath should help dissipate any odors as well as help dry anything wet in there. The surge protector protects your electrical system from surges and misfiring and the a/c from over/under voltage operation.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Looks like a great build that I'm sure you'll enjoy! You got most of the things that seem to be "must haves" around here, although I'm sure people will have their own personal opinions about specific items.

One suggestion: I'm not a fan of the foot flush toilet. The lever hangs in mid-air. I'd like it a lot better if the lever went down to the floor. As it is you need to balance when flushing. Not a big deal, but not something I'd pay extra for.

A lot of people who get the 3 burner stove or oven end up not using theirs after they take posession. There are notable exceptions of course, but you seemed a bit tentative on that option.

The bathroom window is great for bringing in natural light, providing ventilation, etc. We use ours a lot because you're supposed to leave 1 window open at night, and this window is in a wet area, so even in a terrible storm a little water coming in wouldn't be a problem. Having said that, I've never seen water come in through any other windows, so it would have to be some strong winds.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by travdes View Post
We're now about 6 days away from our confirmation deadline for our 21. I think I'm pretty much set on most of the options which I'll paste below for those interested. The last option I'm still struggling with is the bathroom window. What purpose does it serve that I'm unaware of? Given that its frosted its not useful for looking out, and I assume the vent will remove moisture. Is there another need for it?
We have the bathroom window - we crack it open to allow the vent fan to pull air from outside. With the bathroom door closed, the vent fan wants to pull vapor from the black tank through the commode when you flush (not good). Opening the bathroom window, that doesn't happen.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For the same reason the extra window over the nightstand would be for the bath, extra light plus ventilation in that tiny room, the door is vented so a window in the bath should help dissipate any odors as well as help dry anything wet in there. The surge protector protects your electrical system from surges and misfiring and the a/c from over/under voltage operation.
I didn't realize the door was vented, while we intend to have a no #2 policy most of the time, I could see that getting smelly when broken. I take it the bathroom fan isn't adequate on its own then?
Old 01-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, looks like we're going with the bathroom window :-)
Old 01-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
  • Exterior shower (Not sure, which side yet, just used to wash dogs off)
  • Additional Frt Window ((We wanted the extra light and vowed whatever trailer we got it would have lots of windows to see the outdoors)
  • Spray Foam Insulation (Protection + Shoulder season camping)
Exterior shower - if installed on passenger side, makes great outdoor sink area with a table and wash pan. I've been told that Escape will install one on both sides if requested.

Additional Frt Window - prone to rock damage, prevents sitting in bed to read, doesn't open, usually the view is out the back. Oh, and nothing is more irritating than having the RV park lighting shining through the bedroom window while you're trying to sleep. We skipped this one and also omitted the shelf above the bed.

Spray Foam Insulation - look at the poll on this, has a lot of pros and cons.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looks like a great build.

I don’t have it but I imagine having the outside shower on the drivers side to wash the dogs down would keep the door side drier for the outside cooking you say you do.
On the other hand if your not planning on washing your dogs then some people use it as an outside tap to wash the dishes. I just say this as being newish to trailers you may have not seen this.
Or you may want one on both sides.

I can’t see to locate my “outside shower above a table used as a tap to wash dishes on the passenger side” picture. Maybe someone can post one to better illustrated how useful this might be to someone planing on cooking outside.

Edit: looks like I was a little slow on the draw about the tap for washing...but I think a picture would still be good.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #9

Trailer: ?
If you get the TV antenna, you cannot also get the second solar panel because there isn't enough room on the roof for both. Or so I was recently informed by Escape.

Plus the second Escape panel is very expensive.$850CND. Get the Zamp solar port installed instead. $75 as I recall.

I would suggest a portable 'suitcase' style 100 watt panel as a good choice. $300+-USD.

That way if you're in a shady spot, you can easily move the portable panel into the sun. Now you have the best of both worlds. 170 watt on the roof plus 100 watt portable.

While traveling just lay the portable one on the bed.

A super build sheet.

Enjoy

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
If you get the TV antenna, you cannot also get the second solar panel because there isn't enough room on the roof for both. Or so I was recently informed by Escape.

Ed
I really like the Jack TV antenna - I get 60 mile range in town and up to a hundred in the desert.

Second on the portable - of course, you could have two solar panels and the portable port as well but then - no TV. Depends on how much boondocking you plan.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I did not get the bath window and no regrets, but based on my experience without the bath window in my 5.0TA . The inner wall of bath flexes quite a bit if you press or lean against it. I would assume if you have the window, the inner wall would have less flex or would be more solid since the window would sandwich both inner and outer panels.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
I didn't realize the door was vented, while we intend to have a no #2 policy most of the time, I could see that getting smelly when broken. I take it the bathroom fan isn't adequate on its own then?
When I say vented, there is space at the top and bottom of the door that allows air circulation. Early Escapes did not have this space and needed a vent to be installed in the door, with the space it vents itself.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

This is going to sound like a total newbie question. How do you get TV on the Jack Antenna? I assume I'd have to purchase some sort of satellite TV service in addition to my regular cable? The only thing we watch on TV that isn't streamed is Blue Jays games, but I do know thats one thing my wife would love to watch.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, looks like we're going with the bathroom window :-)
Good choice, I think that aesthetically, the E21 trailer looks better with the bathroom window. Seems a bit "unfinished" without it. The rest of the build sheet looks pretty good, although don't beleive that the white wheels clash with the trailer. Have you thought about music at all? Even if you wanted to install your own sound system, maybe get ETI to pre-wire it first.

What about a WDH? What are you towing with, although you don't have to decide quite yet on a WDH. We didn't get one with our 17, but chose to get one for our 21, and it makes a huge difference in ride quality, although that may also have to do with a more substantial tow vehicle.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #15

With the new digital broadcasting and smart tv's a Jack antenna may pick up tv over the air station 50 miles away. anything further you won't get much. Try to get a tv with built in dvd player and bring along some movies or down loads. In a cg that has cable you can also watch television.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Good choice, I think that aesthetically, the E21 trailer looks better with the bathroom window. Seems a bit "unfinished" without it. The rest of the build sheet looks pretty good, although don't beleive that the white wheels clash with the trailer. Have you thought about music at all? Even if you wanted to install your own sound system, maybe get ETI to pre-wire it first.

What about a WDH? What are you towing with, although you don't have to decide quite yet on a WDH. We didn't get one with our 17, but chose to get one for our 21, and it makes a huge difference in ride quality, although that may also have to do with a more substantial tow vehicle.
One can always add the hitch at orientation, that decision does not have to be made now unless it is a known addition. Also you may want to tow without one to determine if it is needed.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post

I was originally planning to buy a WDH ahead of time, but I think I'm just going to hire someone to wire/install the brake controller, and buy an E2 through Escape. We don't really listen to music while camping, I prefer to hear nature, but we have a few bluetooth speakers that will do the trick if we change our minds.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #18

Trailer: none yet
We just confirmed our build sheet for our 19' on Friday, 1/25 - and instead of 2 built in panels we got the Zamp port installed ($100) instead of prewired which costs same price($100).
We will be buying out portable "suitcase" solar panel from O'Conners that is right down the street from Escape. They are great, very knowledgeable and have worked with many Escape trailer owners. There portables come in 80W and 120W and their price beats Amazon!
I'm so relieved to be finally done with the build now!!!
Purplecatstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I don’t have it but I imagine having the outside shower on the drivers side to wash the dogs down would keep the door side drier for the outside cooking you say you do.
On the other hand if your not planning on washing your dogs then some people use it as an outside tap to wash the dishes. I just say this as being newish to trailers you may have not seen this.
Or you may want one on both sides.

I can’t see to locate my “outside shower above a table used as a tap to wash dishes on the passenger side” picture. Maybe someone can post one to better illustrated how useful this might be to someone planing on cooking outside.

Edit: looks like I was a little slow on the draw about the tap for washing...but I think a picture would still be good.
Completely agree with considering a spray port on both sides of the trailer. We have the traditional shower on the driver’s side and it is great because you do not wet the area under your awning. I have the parts in the garage for a DIY install of a spray port on the passengers side for the camp sink / fish cleaning station set ups. The only slight disadvantage I see of two is the extra step for winterizing.

Oh and here is a link to the spout:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../PF247011.html
Attached Thumbnails
A66CFD65-6582-4384-9887-3DDA182BCF90.jpeg  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd avoid having a fish cleaning station on my site when in bear country.

Tags
build sheet, escape 21