Buy an Escape Travel Canada then Export to Europe (Ireland) Possible? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 55ft Barge
Post Buy an Escape Travel Canada then Export to Europe (Ireland) Possible?

Hi all!

I am moving to Canada on a travel/work visa for two years coming up in about a year.

I am looking at buying an escape trailer to travel around British Columbia in for at least a year (more likely a year and half) with my s.o. and then (hopefully) shipping that trailer back from Quebec region to Ireland (We do not get the option to buy such beautiful trailers as the escapes!).

I was wondering as non-residents who will be exporting the trailer would we have to pay Canadian taxes. I assume we would have to pay the taxes as we are travelling for the year before exporting, but upon export could we claim it back?

Also if anyone has any experience exporting your advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Are we crazy or is it doable at least for such a nice trailer?

Cheers from Ireland
R
fiberglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I don't think many on this site will be experienced with what you are trying to do, but one owner did document his 5.0 export to the Netherlands. You might want to try to get in touch with him. I would also talk to ETI who might ship it for you.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f39/let-the-fun-begin-3884.html

Escape Trailer Owners Community - View Profile: Seef
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I don't think many on this site will be experienced with what you are trying to do, but one owner did document his 5.0 export to the Netherlands. You might want to try to get in touch with him. I would also talk to ETI who might ship it for you.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f39/let-the-fun-begin-3884.html

Escape Trailer Owners Community - View Profile: Seef
Thanks rubicon327,

From that reading you gave me, it looks like they have shipped at least 3 to Europe which is great news, the only difference is we would want to travel in it first before shipping so it wouldn't be shipped 'brand new'. Not sure if that helps us or hinders in this case...

I might send ETI an email and see if there are any options or ideas they might have to help us on the quest.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Welcome to the Forum!

I can’t answer any questions about Cdn taxes but your plan sure sounds interesting and I hope you succeed. I bet I speak for many of us when I say I hope, in a year or two, to see you post some Escape camping pictures from Ireland. That would be incredible!

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That sounds like a great adventure. Unfortunately, I suspect that it will cost you the 5% GST, as well as B.C.'s provincial sales tax of 7%.

There is a provision to pay the GST and then get it rebated to you, but not for such a long stay in Canada:
Quote:
A non-resident purchaser (other than a consumer) can apply for a rebate to recover the tax paid on qualifying goods (other than excisable goods, wine, and gasoline) exported from Canada. To qualify for the GST/HST rebate, the non-resident purchaser has to export the goods from Canada within 60 days of delivery, as well as meet other conditions. For more information, see Guide RC4033, General Application for GST/HST Rebates, and Form GST189, General Application for Rebate of GST/HST.
(from GST/HST – Imports and exports; "Find out how the GST/HST applies to exported goods")

There are long-established programs to take delivery of some brands of motor vehicles in Europe, then to export them to the buyer's home country after a vacation period, and this is a similar idea in the other direction; however, even those programs assume a shorter period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberglassman View Post
... it looks like they have shipped at least 3 to Europe which is great news, the only difference is we would want to travel in it first before shipping so it wouldn't be shipped 'brand new'. Not sure if that helps us or hinders in this case...
I don't think it would hurt, if the travel period were much shorter. With a long period, I think that the purchase and export are treated as unrelated (so you pay tax for the purchase). Again, that's just my reading of what I found, and consistent with what I would expect but without any personal experience.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21
Hi,

When we purchased our trailer, we got stuck in the "unable to export" queue, outlined in great detail here :

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...nded-8276.html

And, one of the options we looked at to exit Canada with the trailer as soon as possible, was paying the GST, and then applying for a refund of it.

The folks at Escape were ambivalent on the idea, thinking it should theoretically work, but had not been done before.

As it turned out, the Escape export license was reinstated 3 or 4 days later, so we didn't have to go down that path.

I'd talk to the folks at Escape, they were very helpful, as well as knowledgeable on how this whole export/GST business worked.

Good Luck
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Lease then purchase?

I suppose one remote possibility would be to lease the trailer from Escape Trailer Industries for the time you are here, then purchase it at the end of the lease, followed within 60 days by exporting it from Canada. GST would presumably be applied to the lease payments, but not the purchase (with the various requirements met an appropriate forms filled out). This would involve significant investigation and effort from Escape, so I certainly wouldn't count on it, but it might be worth checking out.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17b
What a neat idea, should be a fun time.
Kootenay couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:13 AM   #9

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies! Some great ideas and info in there. I did think about the lease option but it does put a lot of admin on ETI, I will contact them closer to the time and we are 100% committed.

Otherwise I'm going to continue researching our options but these trailers are just too good to pass up. I think the buy and export plan will be what we go for.

I would love a fifth wheel but we have issues in Ireland (Same a seef seemed to have) driving a pickup for non-commercial use. I also think if you do tax one privately it ends up being close to €2000 a year in tax...

Either way back to browsing the escape website and dreaming
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies! Some great ideas and info in there. I did think about the lease option but it does put a lot of admin on ETI, I will contact them closer to the time and we are 100% committed.

Otherwise I'm going to continue researching our options but these trailers are just too good to pass up. I think the buy and export plan will be what we go for.

I would love a fifth wheel but we have issues in Ireland (Same a seef seemed to have) driving a pickup for non-commercial use. I also think if you do tax one privately it ends up being close to €2000 a year in tax...

Hi: fiberglassman... Another hitch in the "Seef" saga was that the new 5.0TA was too wide to fit in the shipping container. He got one of the last, if not THE last 5.0 single axle 5th wheels made!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hi Fiberglassman,

How about this one? Not bandspanning new but ready available.....

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post253363

This one will fit in a 40foot High Cube Container.

Cheers,
Seef
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Hi Fiberglassman,

How about this one? Not bandspanning new but ready available.....

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post253363

This one will fit in a 40foot High Cube Container.

Cheers,
Seef
Hi: Seef... Did you ever put all the photos of the shipping and containerization of your 5.0 in a photo album. I'd love to see them again.
Also any others from your trips around Europe you can add. Alf
Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Seef... Did you ever put all the photos of the shipping and containerization of your 5.0 in a photo album. I'd love to see them again.
Perhaps one of these, Alf?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/se...archid=1609313
Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 AM   #14

Try the "Let the fun begin"....
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...egin-3884.html
Old 07-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... This link is non co-operative. Alf
Old 07-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #16

Try this one
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...egin-3884.html
Old 07-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post

Hi Alf,

Well not in a album but there is a thread called 'let the fun begin' which holds most of the shipping pictures.

Cheers!
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Seef, I cannot find any of your Escape pictures in Tuscany. Speaking of container fun, I remember lots of it towing onto the Anacortes "container." Picture makes it look easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Anacortes.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #19

Here is my one and only, first and last, ferry excursion trip, in New Brunswick,Cn
I was very hesitant at first, until I saw the safety cable....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1384.jpg   IMG_1388.jpg   IMG_1395.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The smallest ferry I've taken was the Wolf Island ferry from Canada to the US crossing near Watertown, NY. Glad I had the RAV4 & 17. They parked me crosswise after everyone else loaded, with both ends hanging over the sides of the ferry!
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_2340.jpg   ASG_2341.jpg  

Tags
europe, export, ireland, taxes