Cabinetry - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Cabinetry

I'm looking at buying the Escape and I had a question regarding the cabinetry. Is the cabinetry in the Escape wood or partical board?
papasm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 15-A
The cabinet frames are all solid wood and the panelling is oak veneer plywood. Reace also adds in reinforcing plywood if you are going to mount heavy objects such as TV's on the side of your cabinets.

Regards
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Escapes are made of quality products that should last many years. No junk wood is used. You can get walls in bedroom and bathroom reinforced for heavy things like TV swing arm. These trailers are hand made by skilled workers and Reace works on the line with them.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Thanks Scott and Chuck. I was a little torn between the Escape and the Casita. The one thing I didn't like about the Casita was the Carpet Walls. From everything I've g]read both brands are very good quality wise. Your responses have help me make up my mind.

Tommy
papasm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the cabinet and door faces and paneling are not genuine oak veneer, but a fake veneer of some sort. There is a repetitive pattern to the veneer (I think) which indicates it is not genuine wood. In an old post somewhere people cautioned about using any sort of tape even temporarily on the veneer as that can cause it to peel off. --Liz
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

You are correct. It is not real veneer but a vinyl film applied to a plywood core. Be very careful attaching things to it with tape.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
And be careful with any corrosive chemicals...such as bleach. Had a small amount spill on an inner shelf. It will, and did, remove the film.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I'm sure this will generate some controversy but I'm one that isn't all that thrill with the cabinetry. 1/16' panelling is hardly what I'd call oak veneer plywood. The cabinets seem adequate in most places but in some such as the bottoms of overhead cabinets, the panelling is really insufficient for my comfort zone. I'm particulary concerned about the bottom of the large cabinet under the sink and stove in my 19'. The space available invites a heavy load of canned goods or liquids that I'm not sure can be supported by the "wood". One thing I'm really not excited about is the large hollow door leading to the bath. I'd have liked to see a couple cross pieces in the door to help it hold it's shape and to support hooks or a towel road.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Most people don't carry heavy items, such as canned goods, in the upper cabinets. The reason is to keep the centre of gravity low. Things you'll find in my upper cabinets are towels, linens, clothing etc.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I'm sure all you need to do is ask Reace to install cross pieces in the door, and he'd be happy to accommodate the request. Same with the floor in question. You might think also about other walls where you might want to hang hooks or heavy objects, those can be reinforced as well. I use the lowest cabinet in my 17B for heavier stuff like cans and bottles, and in my case that means directly on the floor.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My under sink area has plywood underneath the paneling. The thin paneling under the upper cabinets is double, there is a hollow space between the same paneling inside the cabinet. This allow for wires. I'm sure you can have solid wood behind all the structural walls, but the upper cabinets are not made for heavy items, the lower cabinets are.
Scamps use OSB board in their campers which crumbles when it gets wet, Escape does not use any OSB, all wood. Wood paneling has been made with paper facades for years as solid paneling went out in the 60's due to cost. Scamp Deluxe models has a nice birch solid wood interior, similar to the old time "tin cans" with nice wood interiors.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Reace builds a fine line of light weight trailers. To much heavy wood products and the weight starts to add up. I'd rather have a hollow bathroom door and paper faced plywood cabinets and great gas mileage while travelling!!! The cupboard doors are oak framed and oak veneered panels and on the whole are in perfect condition in our 6th. season of use. The vinyl floor has taken a hit from a dropped item, but that's repairable.
Our microwave travels in the pantry and is used in there too. It hasn't fallen through the shelf yet. The wall was reinforced for the TV arm and so it travels on the wall also. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Escapes on fire.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
My under sink cabinet and the longer coat closet has a single thin piece of panelling across the bottom. I looked underneath and the under sink cabinet has a couple 1x2 stiffeners that don't run the length of the panel. Not my idea of sturdy or durable. I'm reinforcing it because it won't hold up. Upper cabinets? Nope, I don't make a practice of hauling anvils up there.

I took delivery a month or so ago and love the trailer. Just wish there was a little more there there regarding the cabinets.

On another subject, I can't deny my Casita DNA. I've spent a few hours cutting and laying out some tan thin carpet I cut from a hall runner I bought at Home Depot the other day inside many of my cabinets. Adds a nice touch, reduces movement of items, and protects the finish.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote