camera question again - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
What would be nice is a rear view camera I could attach only when trying to park or if driving thru cities but, like a Go Pro, I could also use for other purposes.
You could probably literally use a GoPro. Current models include WiFi, so if the WiFi functionality includes streaming live video (to a mobile device on your dash), and not just control with an app, it would work as-is.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You could probably literally use a GoPro. Current models include WiFi, so if the WiFi functionality includes streaming live video (to a mobile device on your dash), and not just control with an app, it would work as-is.
Since I have almost a year I haven't looked into the GoPro much but I always thought it would be a very adaptable product for this use. I would like to be able to mount it on the back of the trailer for backing up, the back cab of the pickup truck for hooking up to the Anderson Hitch and possibly use it as a driving camera.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Not familiar with it but probably the Go Pro has some kind of suction mount accessory that you could stick it most anywhere for short term.
Update: Looks like a pretty good mount and pair to your phone off and running
https://www.tillys.com/product/GOPRO...rwQaAqEt8P8HAQ
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have Swift Hitch, which I use for hitching only.
I had to glue a metal plate on the tire cover on my RAV4 because mount is magnetic and everything on the RAV4 seems to be plastic.
It has a narrow field of view however, so not sure it's of much value on the back of the trailer. Actually, I'm not sure any camera is of value on the back of the trailer. I prefer an assistant and/or getting out and looking for obstructions. Camera, for instance is unlikely to alert you to a low-hanging branch or obscure boulder.

https://www.etrailer.com/manufacturer-Swift_Hitch.aspx
Old 09-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have Swift Hitch, which I use for hitching only.
It has a narrow field of view however, so not sure it's of much value on the back of the trailer.
The Switch Hitch is intended specifically to see the area of the hitch, while cameras intended for reversing are intended to see a much larger field of view and so have a wider view angle. Point-of-view or "action" cameras such as the GoPro series tend to have a quite wide angle of view, and could be a good match to the reversing task (or other rear-view applications other than hitching).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I have the Tadi Bros ETI installed at the rear; it's great for a rear view camera while driving as the field of view is wide enough to cover traffic until it's just past my bumper and visible in the truck mirrors. I had them run the cables from the camera up the front of the trailer and mounted the transmitter under the bed shelf on my 21. Zero problems with interference or dropouts.

I don't use it for backing into a campsite as I've been using mirrors for decades and wifey as a spotter.

It's very handy for backing into my narrow storage space - but an archery bullseye on the back wall and just aim for it!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #27

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
back up camera

I just talked to Tammy yesterday and asked if I could add the back up camera to my build and asked if the transmitter could be placed up front and camera in the back of a 21 escape . She said that the transmitter and camera were together or very close So I decided not to get it and get my own in Florida . My orientation will be Oct 24th with the trailer leaving by Oct 26th and arriving in Chicago area 4-5 days later depending on driver ? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
What would be nice is a rear view camera I could attach only when trying to park or if driving thru cities but, like a Go Pro, I could also use for other purposes.
I like this idea enough that I cancelled the ETI backup camera from our build sheet. I wanted an aid but $475 for something used only occasionally and permanently mounted seemed like a lot of money. So I think I will try the Go Pro method. Maybe get a 3+ from eBay and a suction mount and mount it on the rear window when needed. It has wireless so the iPhone can pick up the signal and with ApplePlay in the truck the view should show up on the dash screen. At least that's my theory. When not backing up the Go Pro will be available for other things. My wife has been talking about getting a video camera anyway. This sounds promising.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I think adding a camera to the back of a trailer is a complete waste of money, will never be more effective than eyeballs aimed at the rear-view mirrors, or intuitive common sense, adds holes, wires, and annoying distractions to your vehicle dashboard, will probably end up never being relied upon, and... but, of course, it's only money.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I pretty much agree with you Myron. I rarely use the camera on the rear of the trailer. Sometimes I flip it on just to see if there's anyone up close that I can't see in my mirrors. My monitor has two inputs, the license plate one and the trailer rear. I do find the license plate camera very useful for hitching up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm also with Myron. BC Parks loves to plant boulders on sites to protect their assets ( picnic tables etc ). They don't paint them orange. You need to get out and do a walk around.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My truck tailgate came with a tv camera built into the latch. I too have found it invaluable for backing up/lining up the hitch ball. It also gave me a heads up that night when backing up to the trailer and things looked very off for no reason. Got out of the truck to have a look-see and someone had done stole the receiver/stinger off the truck.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I think adding a camera to the back of a trailer is a complete waste of money, will never be more effective than eyeballs aimed at the rear-view mirrors, or intuitive common sense, adds holes, wires, and annoying distractions to your vehicle dashboard, will probably end up never being relied upon, and... but, of course, it's only money.
If you travel solo & need to back up in a gas station or food stop, you will appreciate having a camera that lets you see immediately behind the trailer. I've had people walk behind me after checking as I got in the tow vehicle, even had someone leave a shopping cart behind the trailer.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you travel solo & need to back up in a gas station or food stop, you will appreciate having a camera that lets you see immediately behind the trailer. I've had people walk behind me after checking as I got in the tow vehicle, even had someone leave a shopping cart behind the trailer.
We are with you on this . Even if we get out to look the camera is very useful . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My thoughts exactly, Jon.

I agree 1,000 %

I have had people wander right behind us, not paying any attention, on occasion
For when I am solo, and have to back up a short distance to get out of someplace, I will be thrilled to have the camera!!!!

Horses for courses, as some say
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #36

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
camera

. Reading this thread the 21 needs the transmitter in front and off course camera in back of trailer . It seems most of the reply's are the 21 with tow vehicle is to long of transmitting? 35ft or more depending on TV . When we get our 21 home we will put camera in back (I had ETI put in 12 volt wiring for this)Then run the rca wires or similar to front transmitter so then its only 10-12ft to wireless screen .

What other options do I have whats a go pro is that a little camera for selfies ? Good Advise always appreciated Thanks Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
. Reading this thread the 21 needs the transmitter in front and off course camera in back of trailer . It seems most of the reply's are the 21 with tow vehicle is to long of transmitting? 35ft or more depending on TV . When we get our 21 home we will put camera in back (I had ETI put in 12 volt wiring for this)Then run the rca wires or similar to front transmitter so then its only 10-12ft to wireless screen .

What other options do I have whats a go pro is that a little camera for selfies ? Good Advise always appreciated Thanks Jim
Might add a 12V drop under the 21 bed near the access hatch so you don't have to crawl around under there to supply it for the transmitter. It's a really small space for a person. I would also send ETI the long RCA extension cable so they can run it from the camera location to the front - that way it's in the harness that runs along the drivers side (behind the fridge and furnace area.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
The rear camera that ETI currently installs is the Rear View Safety RVS-2CAM

it is all in one module, so the transmitter is built into the camera.

they are very happy with how it performs.

i am going with it, based on what they told me.

the negative review is based on a metal trailer, not fiberglass.

maybe it will be great with our 21' Escape? hoping so. i am told by ETI it will work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014728I4Q
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote