camera question again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
camera question again

Have heard that the wireless camera image is often sub par due to the distance between the rear of the trailer and the dash mounted monitor. Is this true ? Should I be looking at installing a wired model instead ? Which one ? Plan on hauling a 21 ft with a f150 Supercrew.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
camera

I would like to know that also . I think during the build it would be easier to install a wire ? Please let us know what is best . our 21 is hopefully finished Jan 4th /17 or before ?
Besides some of the usual options A/C ,reinforced walls,etc. I would like the wiring done for a camera and a Spring field table lift ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
camera question again

I believe that image quality is dependent on camera hardware, not necessarily transmission distance. However, a higher quality image will take longer to transmit wirelessly and thus create a delay. That's often why wireless cameras have a lower resolution. So a wired camera should provide a higher resolution with minimal delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We had problems with our camera on our last trip and Tadi Bros sent us a higher level transmitter for shipping charges only. Don't know why they didn't include it in the original packaging. They said we must have too much 'metal'? Sorry, haven't been on the road since it was delivered.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
In my 21 I located the transmitter under the front shelf above the bed and the receiver on the rear window of my Taco, so the distance is at minimum for wireless reception.

The standard location on camera-equipped 21s I have worked on has the transmitter flopping around loose in the rear upper cabinet.Would be too easy to block the transmitter signal path with pots/pans/other electronic stuff (speakers.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
When we had our 15 built I had ETI give me a ground and a running light wire up front so I could wire my own camera and turn it on by turning on the parking lights in the tow. I had a camera from 4uCam before so wanted to use the bullet camera from them. The nice thing about this camera is that you can order an antennae extender. I was able to mount this on the front of the Escape (see picture below) which does greatly improve reception on the wireless receiver. The camera is mounted to the spare tire mount with angle iron. The receiver mounts to one of the vents inside the car. We have NO trouble with reception on this wireless arrangement. There are occasional black outs from cars running bluetooth when they pass, but this is always very brief. As reported earlier. We find this valuable in crowded, multi-lane, big city environments, especially for cars that tuck themselves in close and behind.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4797.jpg   IMG_4799.jpg   IMG_4800.jpg   IMG_4801.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
When we had our 15 built I had ETI give me a ground and a running light wire up front so I could wire my own camera and turn it on by turning on the parking lights in the tow. I had a camera from 4uCam before so wanted to use the bullet camera from them. The nice thing about this camera is that you can order an antennae extender. I was able to mount this on the front of the Escape (see picture below) which does greatly improve reception on the wireless receiver. The camera is mounted to the spare tire mount with angle iron. The receiver mounts to one of the vents inside the car. We have NO trouble with reception on this wireless arrangement. There are occasional black outs from cars running bluetooth when they pass, but this is always very brief. As reported earlier. We find this valuable in crowded, multi-lane, big city environments, especially for cars that tuck themselves in close and behind.

So is your tx / rx setup with Bluetooth? Have you noticed any lag?
Old 05-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #8

We picked up our 5.0 TA last week (with our F-150 crew cab), with ETI-installed Tadi wireless camera and screen. It works pretty well, but the display sometimes has lines in it, which don't make it impossible to see the image. I haven't played with location of either the camera transmitter or screen receiver much, other than to note that the image is sensitive to where on the dashboard the antenna is lying...

Wish I'd seen this thread before ordering -- certainly not the only example! -- but I think it will be OK with some fiddling. I will certainly try P&L's approach to Tadi and see if they'll send me something better.

One sidelight:
I asked ETI about the option of getting a 2nd camera for hitch close-ups (after hitching a few times, I don't think I need it, though). Got two interesting answers from Tammy:

1) "Hello Tom and Sharon, I have spoken with Reace and he suggested contacting Tadi Brothers who manufactures the back–up camera and see if your request is possible."

After I said I didn't have the trailer yet:
2) "Sorry my mistake. – I thought you already had a Tadi Brothers camera.
We are no longer using the Tadi Brothers back up camera. As you are picking up your trailer next week you will receive the RVS-2CAM back up camera system.
The box states the system accommodates connection for up to two cameras and its wireless connectivity is guaranteed for up to 70’ "

Imagine my surprise when we picked up the trailer and it DID have a Tadi Bros system. (Which can accommodate two cameras, but as I say, I don't think I need two.)
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If I were ordering a trailer with a rear-view camera I'd get a wired camera.

I recently ordered a wireless wifi camera (not Tadi Bros.) that I planned to use with an Samsung tablet as a receiver/display. The tablet is mounted on a Ram floor mount in my Tacoma. When I tried it out I discovered that the 33-foot distance between the tablet in its mount and the camera's transmitter at the rear of the trailer is too far for it to work reliably.

My next step is to order a directional wifi antenna for the camera's transmitter. If that doesn't work, I'll move the transmitter + antenna toward the front of the trailer. I want to avoid this nuisance because I'll have to drill holes, route cables, etc., but I'll do it if I have to. Nothing is simple.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

camera question again

The wifi transmitter for my camera is in the front of my RV and transmits to my iPhone perfectly with almost no delay. However, the video resolution is quite low. I may try to replace with a better camera and see how it does.

For my installation, I basically made a POE adapter on both ends. A 25ft Ethernet cable runs through the ground wire hole near the battery to the rear of the trailer, connecting the transmitter to the camera. Pretty easy install and no extra holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Commercial Member

The Tadi camera wireless system operates on a different frequency that isn't susceptible to Bluetooth wireless (which is also why they guarantee a longer range as Bluetooth isn't reliable beyond 30 ft.) I use Bluetooth for my "hands free" phone work with my truck when towing; with the receiver less than 6 ft from my phone I can take calls just fine while viewing the image in the Tadi monitor.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
For my installation, I basically made a POE adapter on both ends.
Power over Ethernet? That sounds interesting, but it's probably beyond my skill level.

I have my tiny wifi camera mounted on the inside of my trailer, on the channel that runs around the inside of the rear window frame, at the top. It's an ideal spot-- protected from the elements and out of sight. I want to keep it there and have the transmitter in the cabinet above, if at all possible. It might not be, though, due to the distance.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #13

camera question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Power over Ethernet? That sounds interesting, but it's probably beyond my skill level.

I have my tiny wifi camera mounted on the inside of my trailer, on the channel that runs around the inside of the rear window frame, at the top. It's an ideal spot-- protected from the elements and out of sight. I want to keep it there and have the transmitter in the cabinet above, if at all possible. It might not be, though, due to the distance.

It's quite easy. The only reason I did it was because my camera had several additional wires that hook up to the transmitter to control image reversing, grid lines, etc. So an Ethernet cable made the most sense. You can get rj45 surface mounts that have screw terminals for a few bucks at hardware stores. Otherwise a standard AV extension cable would probably do the trick.

RCA RJ45 Surface Mount Jack - White (TPH553R) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002H2UHBQ..._gf5lxbTCCZZD4
Old 05-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
It's quite easy. The only reason I did it was because my camera had several wires that hook up to the transmitter to control image reversing, grid lines, etc. So an Ethernet cable made the most sense. You can get rj45 surface mounts that have screw terminals for a few bucks at hardware stores. Otherwise a standard AV extension cable would probably do the trick.

RCA RJ45 Surface Mount Jack - White (TPH553R) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002H2UHBQ..._gf5lxbTCCZZD4
Thanks for the info. That gives me another option if my directional antenna doesn't work out.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #15
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Thanks. Might as well opt for the best performance. Wired it is.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
In my 21 I located the transmitter under the front shelf above the bed and the receiver on the rear window of my Taco, so the distance is at minimum for wireless reception.

The standard location on camera-equipped 21s I have worked on has the transmitter flopping around loose in the rear upper cabinet.Would be too easy to block the transmitter signal path with pots/pans/other electronic stuff (speakers.)
We did not have much time for mods before taking our trailer to the Dometic repairman. But Kevin did run the antenna to the front of the trailer before our beach trip. Reception was much better. Now we need to work on the monitor placement in the truck.
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
We did not have much time for mods before taking our trailer to the Dometic repairman. But Kevin did run the antenna to the front of the trailer before our beach trip. Reception was much better. Now we need to work on the monitor placement in the truck.
I use the over-the-mirror mount; works very good and very simple:

7-Inch LCD Mirror Monitor

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 F250
Camera image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Have heard that the wireless camera image is often sub par due to the distance between the rear of the trailer and the dash mounted monitor. Is this true ? Should I be looking at installing a wired model instead ? Which one ? Plan on hauling a 21 ft with a f150 Supercrew.
I have an all aluminum trailer now and have an escape on order. I use a Rearview Safety (RVS) wireless. ET is moving to this manufacturer. My experience is referred to else where, but a quick summary. RVS indicated that wires usually gives a better consistent picture, everything else being equal. I have to use an external antenna on my monitor. The picture is ok. Night time viewing while driving could be better. Parking at night is good. I camera helps while driving, but is not a substitute for extended mirrors. Wireless is cheaper to install. I will price out wired cameras.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #19

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
21 rear camera

My trailer is going into production next week I'm still wondering about this rear view camera ? I did have ETI put in a 12 volt lead into overhead rear cabinets in case I decide to get a wired one ? I've heard to many bad reports for wireless . although I will have a RF wireless brake controller a prodigy RF model(my Toyota did not come with factory trailer option ) . Still confused on this back up camera deal . Please tell me if it is worth the$ and does it work properly or should i just get a wireless transmitter in the front of trailer and put camera in back and hope for the best?? Let me know your thoughts Thanks Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
What would be nice is a rear view camera I could attach only when trying to park or if driving thru cities but, like a Go Pro, I could also use for other purposes.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote