Camping Styles and personal preferences - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
I will most certainly agree with camping style changes over time. That's what makes completing the Build Sheet such a challenge. I know what our camping style is now, but have a hard time anticipating where it will morph to in the future. Guess we just do our best and then hope for the best!
This is exactly the problem. Every single one of us knows how we've camped in the past..but no one knows our future. IF I did, I'd share the next lottery winning numbers with you.

SO, it's time to just dream... and think "what if," How would I deal with "X" if the trailer (or me) wasn't prepared... and now that I have the option to "prepare," what does that look like?

There's some very serious weather events happening in the US right now. Don't you wonder about those folks that bought trailers (of any brand) without bathrooms or freshwater tanks and now they're using their trailers as "bug out." THAT doesn't mean you should always think about disaster.. but it kinda makes me go hummmmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Exactly, Donna!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Since I live on the Gulf Coast, I most definitely had evacuation in mind when I bought my trailer. I have also used it as a "lifeboat" whenever I've done something to make my house temporarily uninhabitable, which usually involves the plumbing. I'm not a good plumber.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:34 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
I will most certainly agree with camping style changes over time. That's what makes completing the Build Sheet such a challenge. I know what our camping style is now, but have a hard time anticipating where it will morph to in the future. Guess we just do our best and then hope for the best!
In my opinion (for what it is worth ), I think folks stress out too much over the build sheet. The key thing is to just get out and enjoy, and a basic Escape trailer will get you there.

Yes, there are things that work best for each individual, making things a bit easier, or in some cases just that nice luxury that gives you pride in your trailer. As you can see from past threads this varies a heck of a lot from person to person. Lordy knows I have incorporated many of these that I consider "luxury" things.

And almost anything can be added later, albeit in most cases with a bit more effort and even cost. These things can be done as you realize things that would suit your style better. Heck, for me Escape did not even offer many of the things we desired, so I just did them myself, though I do realize many would need to hire some kinds of work done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's some very serious weather events happening in the US right now. Don't you wonder about those folks that bought trailers (of any brand) without bathrooms or freshwater tanks and now they're using their trailers as "bug out." THAT doesn't mean you should always think about disaster.. but it kinda makes me go hummmmm.
That made me think- for a minute. But no, doesn't worry me at all. I guess it may depend on the type of disaster, but where I live the odds are either earthquake or tsunami or tidal flood. If I'm away from home long enough to need to worry about dumping a portapotti, that's still easier than trying to find a dump station for a black water tank. Carrying fresh water is no bigger problem just because it isn't in a tank, and it is more versatile if it isn't as it can go places I might not be able to get to in my trailer after an earthquake. For short-term events like tsunami or tidal flood I'm back in a few days (and if not, your holding tank isn't going to last long, either). Plus everyone at higher ground has facilities and hopefully water. And we're both going to run out of gas to go anywhere pretty quickly.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
It is comforting to have a RV for us . After the 1994 earthquake because the house was in bad shape including needing foundation work ( home was moving toward neighbor ) . We were lucky to have a 22 ft Class C . We lived in it for 6 mo in the driveway until house was almost back together . It is our security . Have always had some kind of RV . Wouldn't feel comfortable having to go somewhere else . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I Installed the outside shower as far to the rear as possible, and at a height I thought would work good. I then bought a Flexible Gooseneck Spout that has a quick connect that just plugs in. We are very happy with the results of doing this.

As a bonus in this shot, you can see a bit of our cookhouse at our land, and a couple sporting activities for those wanting to join us some time, boccee and a trampoline.
I thought this spout looked great so I ordered one from etrailer.com. They want $25.64 for spout plus $11.27 shipping / total = $36.91 (to Alaska)
Ordered Thursday 8/31

etrailer.com called me this am 9/1: "They won't have product until mid September". Translate: Who knows when

Tried Amazon and they have never heard of such a product

Its made by Phoenix and has a product number: SK-Flexspout
etrailer.com has a product number: PF247011

Can't locate anywhere else so guess will have to wait to hear from etrailer.com. I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from etrailer.com. A year ago I wanted some Firestone leaf spring air bags to fit my '09 Tacoma and ordered from etrailer.com. They emailed me back to say they were shipping the following week. OK great! .... except they never came. Waited a reasonable amount of time for shipping and then I called them. "Oh No, they are back ordered and we won't get any for at least 4 months ....well .... actually, we really don't know when so we aren't taking any new orders." Grrrrrr!

I flew down to WA state where my trailer is stored and while my Tacoma was having a rear leaf spring recall installation - free (HUGE improvement!!), I walked across the street and NAPA had them in stock and passed them across the counter to me. Sigh ....
Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Tom, try D&W Incorporated. They have the flexspout, as well as qc water fittings.

https://www.dwincorp.com/product/the-flexspout/
Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #29
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
After three years and three long trips we're still figuring out storage and hook placement. I keep changing things around and of course we brought too much stuff. But the truth is we have used just about everything we brought. Nevertheless, I intend to streamline things next time.
Great post and oh, so true! We have several camping styles which continue to morph. When camping, it is a different life than when we travel for extended periods of time. When traveling, we have varied temperature ranges, depending on the time of year . Our most recent trip the temperatures increased by 60 degrees in the high desert! We bring all weather clothes, and I found that there is empty space behind the water tanks to store hearty winter clothing in a duffle bag.

Yep, we always bring too much (and like you said, we use everything we bring). I enjoy this forum as I have learned about and implemented so many storage ideas that I have lost count. This continues to be a work in progress. Keep the ideas coming my fellow Escapees!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We are bringing the trailer back to NJ (last year it was stored in the Finger Lakes) and I've been thinking that if we ever have another storm like Sandy it will be good to have our trailer with its solar panel and frig that runs on propane. Of course that was never on my mind when we ordered it. And I really do like to be outside when I wash dishes or cook, but some campgrounds just don't lend themselves to it. When there is a camper sink (or it's okay to dump gray water on the ground) that makes a huge difference. And when we can leave food related implements outside from meal to meal that also makes a difference. When I was considering the shower during the build sheet time I never thought about using it to wash dishes. And costs were adding up. However, first chance we have, we're going to install one.

The other huge change with the Escape is that it's only Terry and me. When we had our 30' Airstream there were five children underfoot and cooking inside was so claustrophobic. Now Terry sits at the table or outside when I cook inside and meals are so much simpler with just two so cooking inside is not such a big deal, especially when I'm just making the starch and vegetable and he is grilling outside.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In my opinion (for what it is worth ), I think folks stress out too much over the build sheet. The key thing is to just get out and enjoy, and a basic Escape trailer will get you there.
Exactly. I bought my Escape 21 when it was advertised on ETI's website, so I never had a build sheet. It had a couple of things I wanted, mainly A/C, and I added a couple (front storage box and solar panel) before picking it up, and away I went. I've taken the trailer all over the U.S. from Florida to Maine to California, and even into bear-infested Canada and I've had a great time. Don't sweat the small stuff, as they say.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
When I was considering the shower during the build sheet time I never thought about using it to wash dishes. And costs were adding up. However, first chance we have, we're going to install one.
Ruth: Just want to make sure you didn't miss my earlier post. Would have to peak at the plumbing, but this is likely a very feasible DIY mod.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post214040
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Can't locate anywhere else so guess will have to wait to hear from etrailer.com. I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from etrailer.com. A year ago I wanted some Firestone leaf spring air bags to fit my '09 Tacoma and ordered from etrailer.com. They emailed me back to say they were shipping the following week. OK great! .... except they never came. Waited a reasonable amount of time for shipping and then I called them. "Oh No, they are back ordered and we won't get any for at least 4 months ....well .... actually, we really don't know when so we aren't taking any new orders." Grrrrrr!
This is unfortunate to hear. My experience with etrailer has always been exceptional. In fact I was just telling a coworker today who was ordering a hitch that they are one of the best online retailers I've dealt with and the wealth of knowledge they share on parts and installation is amazing.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #34

Thanks Rubicon -- that is so nice! Maybe we'll take you up on its when we get back to NJ. Good to know you are there.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... There's some very serious weather events happening in the US right now. Don't you wonder about those folks that bought trailers (of any brand) without bathrooms or freshwater tanks and now they're using their trailers as "bug out." THAT doesn't mean you should always think about disaster.. but it kinda makes me go hummmmm.
For what it's worth, I had the opportunity to work with the director of the regional emergency management service for southern Mississippi following the combined extensive destruction of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005. He said the biggest lesson he learned was that there are two absolute necessities in the immediate aftermath of such widespread destruction: 1) sources of fuel (gas and/or diesel fuel) that don't require electrical power to access and distribute, and 2) a communication system that doesn't rely on electric-powered relay towers. If you have immediate access to those two things, along with the right leadership and organisational structure, everything else (medical attention, water, food, shelter, evacuations, etc.) can follow in an orderly manner. That was his take as the person in charge of response and recovery following natural disasters.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
For what it's worth, I had the opportunity to work with the director of the regional emergency management service for southern Mississippi following the combined extensive destruction of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005. He said the biggest lesson he learned was that there are two absolute necessities in the immediate aftermath of such widespread destruction: 1) sources of fuel (gas and/or diesel fuel) that don't require electrical power to access and distribute, and 2) a communication system that doesn't rely on electric-powered relay towers. If you have immediate access to those two things, along with the right leadership and organisational structure, everything else (medical attention, water, food, shelter, evacuations, etc.) can follow in an orderly manner. That was his take as the person in charge of response and recovery following natural disasters.
When the 1994 earthquake happened . Electricity was out for 3 days . If you needed anything like ice etc. you needed cash . Couldn't pump any gas , stores only could accept cash . It was nice to have your own shelter . The house was trashed. Everything that could be broken was . Glass everywhere in house . We had water too. What was coming out of facets was brown and needed to be boiled before you used . Grocery stores just put out baskets with bread etc. for the taking . Home Depot gave out things like flash lights too. Later found out the police didn't even have any communications for about 35 min. The hospital generators didn't come on right away like they should of . What we learned was you need cash, food , water and be prepared to be self sufficient as best you can . Pat
Old 09-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #37

Cash is a good idea but my experience during the blackout on the east coast about 15 or so years ago was that some cashiers were not prepared to take cash when their computer registers went down. Not only can too many of them not make change, but in some cases the rules of the store prevent them from accepting cash if there is no computer to keep track of the transaction. However, our Mom and Pop vegetable stand was happy for the cash.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
This is exactly the problem. Every single one of us knows how we've camped in the past..but no one knows our future. IF I did, I'd share the next lottery winning numbers with you.

SO, it's time to just dream... and think "what if," How would I deal with "X" if the trailer (or me) wasn't prepared... and now that I have the option to "prepare," what does that look like?

For us, I outfitted our new 5.0 for life in the PNW. Then, we got a "wild hare" and decided to move to Arizona. So now, I'm outfitting the trailer with fans and shade awnings instead of being preoccupied with making sure it seals well in rainy weather. The nice thing is that the trailer can be adapted to suit your tastes/needs as life changes. Not too difficult and fun to do it all to your satisfaction.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Cash is a good idea but my experience during the blackout on the east coast about 15 or so years ago was that some cashiers were not prepared to take cash when their computer registers went down. Not only can too many of them not make change, but in some cases the rules of the store prevent them from accepting cash if there is no computer to keep track of the transaction. However, our Mom and Pop vegetable stand was happy for the cash.
What we experienced was they couldn't make any change . If something was less then a dollar you just gave them the dollar . Also because no electricity they got for you what you needed at the door while you waited . The stores were dark and not a good idea to be in there . But if you needed something you accept that's the way it is. A good memory that stands out for us was everyone trying to help each other and everyone getting along . Pat
Old 09-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Self sufficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
When the 1994 earthquake happened . Electricity was out for 3 days . If you needed anything like ice etc. you needed cash . Couldn't pump any gas , stores only could accept cash . It was nice to have your own shelter . The house was trashed. Everything that could be broken was . Glass everywhere in house . We had water too. What was coming out of facets was brown and needed to be boiled before you used . Grocery stores just put out baskets with bread etc. for the taking . Home Depot gave out things like flash lights too. Later found out the police didn't even have any communications for about 35 min. The hospital generators didn't come on right away like they should of . What we learned was you need cash, food , water and be prepared to be self sufficient as best you can . Pat
Many of those who are on this site were raised by depression era parents who also experienced rationing during WWII. Couple that with a robust childhood of believing we were hunter/ gatherer native Americans, unwilling but necessary vegetable gardeners/ food canners and the threat of no grocery stores and no utilities becomes a lot less daunting. We have lived a prepatory lifestyle for 47 years and will continue to do so I'm sure. Catastrophic events whether local, regional, or personal as well as day to day challenges bring out the best of character in the worst of times. Camping for us with the Escape is luxury. Opening a can of baked beans with a GI can opener and heating them up with a red hot rock returns me to my roots and makes me remember my incredible parents. Here's to making you're next campout a reality check.
Iowa Dave