Camping Styles and personal preferences - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Camping Styles and personal preferences

When we were filling out our build sheet and I was looking for advice, forum members would often say that various options depended on personal preference and camping style. At the time I was sure I knew what my camping style was.

Well, I'm here to say that times change and so do my preferences. I thought I'd always be cooking outside, but on this trip particularly there have been many meals when it was just more convenient to cook all or part of a meal inside. The campstove gets hotter, so sometimes I prepare a meal inside and then finish it off outside. I really like being outside while I cut and chop and stir, but sometimes it gets to be too much transferring implements and food from inside to outside and back. That said, the addition of the grill on this trip has changed everything. Sometimes all I need to do is make a pot of rice inside while Terry does the grilling. THAT is lovely.

And I've washed more dishes inside than ever before. I think if we had the outdoor shower (the one option I truly wish we'd gotten) then I'd be washing outside more, but getting hot water outside just seemed to take too much time.

Since I'm doing more cooking inside I've thought about my decision to switch the sink and the stove and while there are negatives, the overwhelming positive is that I'm so close to the door and that makes cooking feel closer to the outdoors. I'm also glad that we have the two burner stove. For our next trip I'm going to look into a pressure cooker (my daughter uses hers all the time) as well as an outdoor solar oven.

After three years and three long trips we're still figuring out storage and hook placement. I keep changing things around and of course we brought too much stuff. But the truth is we have used just about everything we brought. Nevertheless, I intend to streamline things next time.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
When we were filling out our build sheet and I was looking for advice, forum members would often say that various options depended on personal preference and camping style. At the time I was sure I knew what my camping style was.

Well, I'm here to say that times change and so do my preferences. ....
Great post Ruthe. When we put together our build, I wanted to make sure that I added as many options as I could, because I did not know how my wants and needs would change over time. For example, even though air conditioning was not required for majority of camping that we do, I didn't want to rule out the possibility that in a few years we may make more trips to much hotter climates where A/C is a must. I initially thought that the propane quick connect was an add-on that would never get used, but it has turned out to be a feature that we use with our propane grill on every trip we take. At this time, I don't regret choosing any of the options/features that I did not think would get used on a regular basis.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Well, I'm here to say that times change and so do my preferences.
Amen, Ruth. We too are testament to that.

While we still prefer to cook and wash outside, situations we have encountered in the past have kept us more inside, usually lousy weather which can happen a lot.

I must say, we do love the wash station I set up outside on the passenger side of the trailer, it's convenience has proven to be a fantastic decision.

Plus, it is nice to grill steaks, flip pancakes, whatever, while enjoying a great view or sharing conversation with others you are camping with.

But, during wild weather like hard blowing rain on a cold day, it is sure nice to be snugged up inside baking in the oven and washing up in the sink.

I suspect I will see lots more evolving of our style of camping as time progresses, especially once we retire and take longer trips. We can guess at what our needs and desires might be, but only experience will prove them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... For our next trip I'm going to look into a pressure cooker (my daughter uses hers all the time) ....
If you haven't already, check out the Instant Pot. You can sear, fry, cook and pressure cook all within the same pot. Easy one pot cleanup at the end.
Instant Pot IP-DUO Series Specifications and Cookbook
We have the DUO60 v2 (adds a low pressure setting for making yogurt) and love it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
And I've washed more dishes inside than ever before. I think if we had the outdoor shower (the one option I truly wish we'd gotten) then I'd be washing outside more, but getting hot water outside just seemed to take too much time.
Ruth: Consider adding one. On the passenger side the piping for the sink is right there. I did one myself on a Scamp 16 utilizing Sharkbite fittings with the PEX and it came out great. You are so close that I could even be convinced to help if you tow the trailer down.

www.scampowners.com/forums/outside-spray-portshower
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I initially thought that the propane quick connect was an add-on that would never get used, but it has turned out to be a feature that we use with our propane grill on every trip we take. At this time, I don't regret choosing any of the options/features that I did not think would get used on a regular basis.
Dave, without sidetracking this thread, could you tell us which propane grill you use?

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Dave, without sidetracking this thread, could you tell us which propane grill you use?

Klaus
I use the Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 grill that has been discussed quite a lot on this forum.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 08-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
If you haven't already, check out the Instant Pot. You can sear, fry, cook and pressure cook all within the same pot. Easy one pot cleanup at the end.
Instant Pot IP-DUO Series Specifications and Cookbook
We have the DUO60 v2 (adds a low pressure setting for making yogurt) and love it.
I like the idea, but that thing is huge.

Is there one that is much smaller folks might recommend, one that would do two person meals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

Klaus
In addition to the BBQ Dave linked to, I also use the LP QC for the Camp Chef Ranger II which we love using. You can boil water fast and also turn it down to a whisper of a simmer.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tove-6066.html

We also use it with the Outland Firebowl in places where there are no firepits, or where a ban is in place. Like me most of my friends and family balked and scoffed at the idea, but a couple times where only it could be used changed our minds around on one real quick, as they make for a great gathering place. See, yet another thing where personal preferences can change with time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Jim, could you tell us more about the wash station that you set up?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Jim, could you tell us more about the wash station that you set up?
I Installed the outside shower as far to the rear as possible, and at a height I thought would work good. I then bought a Flexible Gooseneck Spout that has a quick connect that just plugs in. We are very happy with the results of doing this.

As a bonus in this shot, you can see a bit of our cookhouse at our land, and a couple sporting activities for those wanting to join us some time, boccee and a trampoline.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i ordered that spigot looks like a winner!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I just ordered one too. Great idea! Thanks Jim

I just followed the lengthy Spitfire BBQ thread as I'm still looking for the perfect BBQ. But I have wondered why there are low pressure and high pressure propane appliances? Seems the low pressure is much more common with the Canadian wing of our family. Has the low pressure been developed through some governmental regulation or is there a reason for it?

Having trouble understanding why you would want to reduce the propane pressure / flow, when we are so frequently trying to "maximize" the heat output of our appliances.

I don't get it,

Tom
Old 08-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I just ordered one too. Great idea!

I just followed the lengthy Spitfire BBQ thread. I'm still looking for the perfect BBQ. But I have wondered why there are low pressure and high pressure propane appliances? Seems the low pressure is much more common with the Canadian wing of our family. Has the low pressure been developed through some governmental regulation or is there a reason for it?

Having trouble understanding why you would want to reduce the propane pressure / flow, when we are so frequently trying to "maximize" the heat output of our appliances.

I don't get it,

Tom
The 20 lb propane canisters on your Escape have a regulator right at the tanks, so propane flowing from the regulator into your Escape to the oven, water heater, or fridge has already been regulated down to a low pressure. The quick connect fitting that Escape installs supplies propane that has also already gone through the regulator and is thus at a low (i.e. regulated) pressure. Most propane grills come with their own regulator which typically connects directly to the high pressure end of a propane cylinder. If you wish to connect a propane grill to the quick connect fitting supplied by Escape, you will need to remove the regulator from your grill prior to doing so. If the propane control valve on your grill is attached to the regulator (as many are), when you remove the regulator you will also need to install a new low pressure control valve on your grill.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I

As a bonus in this shot, you can see a bit of our cookhouse at our land, and a coupletimd, sporting activities for those wanting to join us some time, boccee and a trampoline.
Camping in your own backyard saves time, and the need for a tug.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Camping in your own backyard saves time, and the need for a tug.
I wish it was my backyard. It is only 90 minutes from home though, and I own it with my two brothers. Just over 1/2 mile of riverfront. Great spot, no crowds. A typical long weekend will see 6-10 trailers of friends and family.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
The 20 lb propane canisters on your Escape have a regulator right at the tanks, so propane flowing from the regulator into your Escape to the oven, water heater, or fridge has already been regulated down to a low pressure. The quick connect fitting that Escape installs supplies propane that has also already gone through the regulator and is thus at a low (i.e. regulated) pressure. Most propane grills come with their own regulator which typically connects directly to the high pressure end of a propane cylinder. If you wish to connect a propane grill to the quick connect fitting supplied by Escape, you will need to remove the regulator from your grill prior to doing so. If the propane control valve on your grill is attached to the regulator (as many are), when you remove the regulator you will also need to install a new low pressure control valve on your grill.
Thank you Dave,
Let me see if I have this straight now.... the after-the-regulator propane gas pressure is the same no matter if you are pulling gas from your Escape trailer quick connect vs the gas pressure after your appliance mounted regulator .... the gas pressure is the same. In other words ... there are not two different standards in play here.... the difference being the location of the regulator - either at the beginning or at the end of the line.

I think this is where my point of confusion has been.

Humbled yet again,

Tom
Old 08-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Let me see if I have this straight now.... the after-the-regulator propane gas pressure is the same no matter if you are pulling gas from your Escape trailer quick connect vs the gas pressure after your appliance mounted regulator .... the gas pressure is the same. In other words ... there are not two different standards in play here.... the difference being the location of the regulator - either at the beginning or at the end of the line.
You've got it!

There are actually different "low" pressures used occasionally, but most common appliances use the same pressure (which is 11 inches of water column / 0.4 PSI / 2.7 kPa). That's enough pressure to get sufficient propane through a reasonable hose to run a substantial furnace or grill.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Tom, I'm not sure what you mean by appliance mounted regulator. The propane coming from the tanks is high pressure. The factory regulator at the tanks takes it down to low pressure (11 wc inches of pressure) before anything in the trailer uses it - the cooktop, the fridge, the heater or the quick connect. If you want to use an appliance with the quick connect, it should NOT have a pressure regulator. It should simply be compatible with, or adapted to use, low pressure.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Tom, I'm not sure what you mean by appliance mounted regulator.
This would be the one supplied with your BBQ. outside stove or fire pit, the ones you eliminate when connecting to the already regulated to 11" supply from the trailer.

I do still carry one of these hoses with the regulator attached, just in case I want to use my stove or fire pit well away from the trailer.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I will most certainly agree with camping style changes over time. That's what makes completing the Build Sheet such a challenge. I know what our camping style is now, but have a hard time anticipating where it will morph to in the future. Guess we just do our best and then hope for the best!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote