Camping World and Gander Outdoors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Camping World and Gander Outdoors

I'm just trying to pull together some facts, if known, by anyone. It is my understanding that Gander Mountain went into bankruptcy and was bought out by Camping World. Our local GM is currently having a "Going Out of Business" sale. The sales people working the floor told me they are selling out all of the GM inventory, then they will turn right around and re-stock the shelves with very similar "Gander Outdoors" stuff (new subsidiary of Camping World), probably by mid Summer. (They even had a new logo contest at Gander Outdoors). I asked if the newly named "Gander Outdoors" store will also stock some or all of Camping World's camping supplies. They said there were rumors that they would stock some but not all. I asked if "Gander Outdoors" would honor Good Sams Club membership discounts. They didn't know. Anyone have corrections/updates to the above or any additional info on the change from Gander Mountain to Gander Outdoors as a subsidiary of Camping World? It could be dangerous having Camping World camping supplies that close to us (20 miles).
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I heard they bought most of not only Gander Mountain at a bankruptcy auction, but Overton's as well. Who knows what they will or won't stock once all the dust settles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'm just trying to pull together some facts, if known, by anyone. It is my understanding that Gander Mountain went into bankruptcy and was bought out by Camping World. Our local GM is currently having a "Going Out of Business" sale. The sales people working the floor told me they are selling out all of the GM inventory, then they will turn right around and re-stock the shelves with very similar "Gander Outdoors" stuff (new subsidiary of Camping World), probably by mid Summer. (They even had a new logo contest at Gander Outdoors). I asked if the newly named "Gander Outdoors" store will also stock some or all of Camping World's camping supplies. They said there were rumors that they would stock some but not all. I asked if "Gander Outdoors" would honor Good Sams Club membership discounts. They didn't know. Anyone have corrections/updates to the above or any additional info on the change from Gander Mountain to Gander Outdoors as a subsidiary of Camping World? It could be dangerous having Camping World camping supplies that close to us (20 miles).
Camping World bought the Gander Mountain IP, but not inventory. Another party bought those assets and has a limited time to sell it via the stores. The GM website no longer has anything for sale. You will see about half of the former GM stores close and the remaining viable ones will be renamed Gander Outdoors as you noted. The CW owner isn't a big gun person, so you can expect to see a reduced offering in that area (hunting only focus). The new GM inventory will have a cross mix of CW items, former GM offerings, and possibly some marine items from Overton's. The current challenge for the new owner is securing contracts with suppliers. The former GM owners had a lot of outstanding debt, thus that's why they haven't had the springfield table in for months. Suppliers wouldn't give the former GM owners any more advances.

The CW owner is attempting to get Gander back on it's feet and then sell. His primary focus in that transaction was to purchase Overtons due to their strong web, warehouse, and fulfillment capabilities. With Overton's Greenville, NC headquarters, CW now has a strong east coast setup for CW. The future will bring Overton's offerings being included at CW stores with an Overton's store opening next to a existing CW store in some markets. I haven't heard if Good Sam will be usable at Gander or Overton's. I expect it could, but he is trying to keep the entities separate.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Great update! Thanks! I had a sizable outstanding Gander Mountain gift card when they stopped honoring them. So I did as the local GM store personnel suggested and filed an on-line creditor claim with documentation through a bankruptcy court in Minnesota to try to recoup at least some of the gift card value. We'll see how that goes....
Old 06-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Trailer: pondering.....
now that Amazon has almost purchased Whole Foods, some saying to get brick and mortar....perhaps they will buy CW next and get those stores as well...perhaps that would be a good thing as a recent online order with CW was a terrible online buying experience....

the heavy weight fight ....Wally World vs Amazon...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
...perhaps that would be a good thing as a recent online order with CW was a terrible online buying experience....
I expect the CW online buying experience will improve greatly once they integrate systems and processes with Overton's. Outside of the fulfillment capabilities, CW wanted to buy GM to obtain Overton's web capabilities and expertise. CW realizes they have challenges with their online presence and wants to improve. One thing you will notice with how CW is currently setup, their web prices are always the good sam member price. To be competitive online, they had to offer the lower price regardless of if you were a good sam member. or not

Amazon buying CW would be interesting for sure.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #7

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
I expect the CW online buying experience will improve greatly once they integrate systems and processes with Overton's. Outside of the fulfillment capabilities, CW wanted to buy GM to obtain Overton's web capabilities and expertise. CW realizes they have challenges with their online presence and wants to improve. One thing you will notice with how CW is currently setup, their web prices are always the good sam member price. To be competitive online, they had to offer the lower price regardless of if you were a good sam member. or not

Amazon buying CW would be interesting for sure.
didn't know that about CW pricing ...everyday learn something new...thank you
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

Is this what's coming?

We came across this driving through Bowling Green, KY, last week just off I-65. Looks like Camping World simply built a 1/2-sized retail store with a 4-bay shop in the back right along side the former Gander Mountain store. The GM store was empty and locked up tight. Folks in CW said they didn't know the plans for the old GM store for sure, but they thought it might re-open as one of CW's new Gander Outdoors stores.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09554.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #9

I'm not sure what it all means or how it might affect Camping World, but I saw where Gander Mountain Co. and Overton's Inc. were given an extension until October 31, 2017 to file their Chapter 11 bankruptcy plans, and their right to seek acceptance of such plan without interference from other parties (?) has been extended until December 31, 2017. So it sounds like any plans Camping World has for Gander Mountain will be on hold for a little longer.