Canadian dollar / world economy - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We plan to do one extended trip south next fall. We are hoping that cheaper fuel prices and food prices will help offset the disparity in the dollars. Other than that, I do not foresee any other trips south until the dollar strengthens somewhat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Canadian dollar / world economy

How about $1.49 a gallon Jim? That's the price today at our corner store.

I don't usually get to take advantage of it though - Too much flying and not enough driving.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, and when I start my Baja thread in a couple of weeks it'll no doubt get debated some more.
Ron
Looking forward to that Ron. We would love to take the trailer to Baja but wouldn't do it alone. Maybe you can stir up enough interest to someday lead a group trip?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

I don't usually get to take advantage of it though - Too much flying and not enough driving.
For us Canadians to purchase gas in Texas at $1.49 US/gal is about $2.10 CAN $ at today's exchange rates. That is about 1/2 of what we are currently paying in Vancouver for gas. Go figure!!
They are almost giving the stuff away in Texas.
Way cheaper to buy gas than a bottle of Pepsi!!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:

My last tank in Juneau, AK was $3.31 / gal. unleaded, $3.09 / gal. for heating oil (#1).

Tom
Old 01-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:

Robert, when I first read 1.49 I thought we were still talking milk (you did say corner store - not gas station)!

We are looking forward to getting away on our trip to warmer climes on Monday, we are just going to have to be economical, very little eating out, have packed the trailer with lots of staples. One good move was changing a bunch of C$ for US ones at a currency exchange with better than bank rate and already six cents ahead per dollar since Tuesday compared to what I would pay at our bank today Hoping to use the credit card very little unless we run out of cash, if so we'll just go back to our daughter's in KS earlier in March.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
My last tank in Juneau, AK was $3.31 / gal. unleaded...
That's presumably US$3.31 for a US gallon of gasoline, or C$4.81 for 3.8L, which is C$1.27/L... roughly the highest price ever seen in Alberta, roughly what Vancouver B.C. people were paying last year, and far higher than the current price (under C$0.80/L) in Edmonton... even though Alaska is a major oil producing area. Location matters, and much of the difference by location is due to taxes.

Fuel prices are the bright spot in our current economic situation, and not by coincidence. Many of us in Alberta would prefer much higher gasoline prices, and the much better economic situation that goes with them here.

This leads to a traveling conundrum: with fuel cheap it's a good time to travel by car and trailer... if you still have income and can afford the rest of the travel expenses.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Any refineries in Alaska?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I read in the paper the other day about sudden rising cost of groceries in Canada. Like 7 or 8 bucks for a gallon of milk or dozen eggs up there. You seeing it?
No, and I doubt anyone really is seeing these examples. Some reporter probably picked up prices from some isolated remote community where everything is expensive. One grocery store in one small Alberta town is getting flack for prices which are much higher than the supermarkets, but that's like any convenience store - you charge what you can with a captive market, and most people buy most of their stuff elsewhere.

Others in this thread listed some real milk prices in Canada, which are not unreasonable. I do actually pay a lot for eggs, because I buy eggs from free-range hens (which are also "organic", and even "vegetarian fed" ) - regular eggs are half that price, and have not changed much recently.

Despite the exaggerations, many food item prices really are increasing, in part presumably because so much food is imported, especially in winter. Beef is mostly not imported, but has gone up hugely in price for other reasons. Ironically, milk and eggs are never imported here and are poor examples for recent issues.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Any refineries in Alaska?
Yes. Refineries are one of the location factors; for instance, the town of Norman Wells NWT exists only to produce oil, which is sent south by pipeline, but is entirely dependent on imports of refined products (diesel and gasoline) from the south, so fuel is expensive there.

On the other hand, Alaska is not one little isolated town. Wikipedia lists six refineries in Alaska, and the U.S. Energy Information Administration confirms the count and shows their capacities, but it's not clear to me how many produce how much gasoline. Apparently one large gasoline-producing refinery recently shut down, and that may be part of the issue with the price of gas in Juneau, but the problem specifically for Juneau is more likely transportation - given Juneau's specific location, rather than the state it is in.

Gas Buddy says the average regular gasoline price across Alaska is US$2.40/USgal, or C$0.92/L... much cheaper than Juneau, cheaper than places in B.C. "near" Juneau, but still higher than Edmonton.

Location, location, location...
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
March Thaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Robert, when I first read 1.49 I thought we were still talking milk (you did say corner store - not gas station)!

We are looking forward to getting away on our trip to warmer climes on Monday, we are just going to have to be economical, very little eating out, have packed the trailer with lots of staples. One good move was changing a bunch of C$ for US ones at a currency exchange with better than bank rate and already six cents ahead per dollar since Tuesday compared to what I would pay at our bank today Hoping to use the credit card very little unless we run out of cash, if so we'll just go back to our daughter's in KS earlier in March.

Adrian
Adrian,
If they run out of chow in Kansas you can always slide north a few hours, follow the geese, and stay with us. I'll feed and water you till global warming straightens Manitoba out and you can get home!
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #32

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
Price of gas at Costco, San Marcos, CA (suburb of San Diego & 62 miles north of Tia Juana, Mexico) on 1/15/16 was $2.53 per gal, low for us. It was as low as $2.25 a month or so ago. Gas prices in CA are high because of state laws to clean up our environment (smog problems in So Cal have been greatly reduced). I think the gas companies play games with us; world prices go down and suddenly there is a crisis at a CA refinery (explosion or unscheduled maintenance) reducing the supply so they then jack the prices up... When we head out on a RV trip, we have to head east or north obviously; as soon as we enter Arizona, we fill up the tank with cheaper gas. Christmas in Florida a year ago, gas prices went downhill all the way across the US, down to $1.95 in the Tampa area! Heading for Mexico, you could by-pass most of Ca for lower prices but you will miss a lot of beautiful country. Driving the Oregon and California coast is well worth the extra cost. Jacki still has many Canadian relatives so we do feel for you Canadian friends over the exchange rate. (We already have all of our 5.0TA funds transferred to a Canadian bank!
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote