Canadian dollar / world economy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2016, 12:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Canadian dollar / world economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Enjoy it when you can, nothing lasts forever.
Here's hoping. What with the cost of travel medical insurance and the dropping Canadian dollar, I don't expect to cross the border any time soon.
I imagine the premium, which I pay in Canadian dollars, for US medical ( paid in US dollars ), is going to rise substantially.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Sorry to hear that Glenn. I suspect the shake out around the corner is going to create more loser than winners. Not to digress too far from trailers, but we have plenty of our own fiscal issues on this side of the border.

There's always Mexico, the last of the great bargain spots but travelling and camping down there has been adequately debated elsewhere.

Greg
Old 01-16-2016, 12:33 AM   #3

Even before the current situation, I was approached at the airport in the Dominican Republic by locals offering $20 Canadian in loonies for $5 US. Some dumb Canadians tip the staff at the all-inclusive in Canadian money which is akin to an insult.
I'm sure Mexicans would feel the same.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:46 AM   #4

Come up here and hand $20 US to the server at McDonalds for a Big Mac and you'll likely get $24 Can. in change.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

There's always Mexico, the last of the great bargain spots but travelling and camping down there has been adequately debated elsewhere.

Greg
Yup, and when I start my Baja thread in a couple of weeks it'll no doubt get debated some more.

Can't believe the deal current buyers are getting. Pretty brutal for Canadians though, won't be lingering in the US much after Quartzsite. At least the Canadian buck is OK for Mexican pesos.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Enjoy it when you can, nothing lasts forever. They were almost equal when I bought my 19. I think the difference was only $300 or so and I thought I hit the jackpot when I Tammy sent me a check.
Almost the same for us . We got the front box and we thought that was great. It has to turn around . It just doesn't feel right . It is getting ridiculous now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #7

Expert economist prediction I've heard is that it will settle around 70 cents in about five years from now.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
At least the Canadian buck is OK for Mexican pesos.

Ron
That's not what I've heard. Mexico wants US dollars. All-inclusive packages are priced in US dollars. I think you best carry some US dollars if you expect to eat, drink or do anything in Mexico.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Yup, and when I start my Baja thread in a couple of weeks it'll no doubt get debated some more.

Can't believe the deal current buyers are getting. Pretty brutal for Canadians though, won't be lingering in the US much after Quartzsite. At least the Canadian buck is OK for Mexican pesos.

Ron
See you in Q'site. I get an idea of how you feel, gas on the AZ side of the river is a half buck cheaper that heading home on the west side.

I read in the paper the other day about sudden rising cost of groceries in Canada. Like 7 or 8 bucks for a gallon of milk or dozen eggs up there. You seeing it? Gas is certainly cheaper down here.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:58 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I imagine the premium, which I pay in Canadian dollars, for US medical ( paid in US dollars ), is going to rise substantially.
At least you have a choice.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
No debate here, just interest, as we plan on heading to Mexico camping, but will likely head a lot further south. The Baja is nice, but is very commercialized for the most part, though that is what likely gives people comfort.

We have friends that are in San Patricio right now. They drive down there every year for a few months for the past five years now, and plan to take a trailer down next year. They say they have absolutely zero qualms about it, but do a full days driving from the border the first day in Mexico.
Quote:
That's not what I've heard. Mexico wants US dollars. All-inclusive packages are priced in US dollars. I think you best carry some US dollars if you expect to eat, drink or do anything in Mexico.
If you have Canadian money, there are lots of banks that will convert it to pesos for you at a decent exchange rate.
Quote:
I read in the paper the other day about sudden rising cost of groceries in Canada. Like 7 or 8 bucks for a gallon of milk or dozen eggs up there. You seeing it? Gas is certainly cheaper down here.
Funny you hear that about milk, as it has not been sold by the gallon in almost 40 years. While we do pay more here, and I am not real familiar with prices, they are definitely not those prices, especially for eggs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
See you in Q'site. I get an idea of how you feel, gas on the AZ side of the river is a half buck cheaper that heading home on the west side.

Gregg as soon as you get out of California , Oregon and Washington your gas will get cheaper . My kids live on Whidbey ,an island and the gas is always cheaper then California . I think it is our taxes on gas . Pat
Old 01-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Expert economist prediction I've heard is that it will settle around 70 cents in about five years from now.
Glenn why is this ? Pat
Old 01-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Glenn why is this ? Pat
We export commodities ( oil, metals and wood ) and the world is full of oil. Manufacturing elsewhere has slowed so they don't need metals etc.
You can look at the price of oil and you will see that the Canadian dollar is running alongside on the graph.
OPEC is flooding the market, trying to get companies with higher production costs out of the market. And, sanctions against Iran are about to end, adding to the glut of oil on world markets.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Glenn, it's the are you a tourist or a traveler thing. All-inclusive type of tourism, yes, the world tourism industry seems to run on US dollars. Rural Mexico, not so much. Pesos work just fine in Mexico, imagine that

Re: cost of milks and eggs. Don't buy milk in gallons but yesterday I paid $4.30 Cdn. for 4 liters.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
We export commodities ( oil, metals and wood ) and the world is full of oil. Manufacturing elsewhere has slowed so they don't need metals etc.
You can look at the price of oil and you will see that the Canadian dollar is running alongside on the graph.
OPEC is flooding the market, trying to get companies with higher production costs out of the market. And, sanctions against Iran are about to end, adding to the glut of oil on world markets.
So when the competition is run out of business and OPEC is the only game in town we are in for a whole lot of trouble ? Don't understand all of this but I have a feeling this is not going to be good . Some are just waiting patiently and then ? Pat
Old 01-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #17

My theory is that if anybody actually understood economics ( and I don't ) that everything would collapse.
I'm going to try to spit the dollar discussion from the OP.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
We too would not plan a trip south of the boarder right now , however we do not expect it to take 5 years for the dollar to come back .70 US. We are paying $4.25 -$4.80 for a 4 L Milk jug and $2.75 - maybe up to about $4. for 1 doz. large eggs . The price differences being higher for the " free range organic " eggs . Prices vary from store to store . The price of oil is also tied to the strength of the US dollar . The best pump price for gas right now in Calgary that we have seen is .78.9 per L . and the price of beef is expected to go down -has already a bit - but is expected to come down more by summer . So come on up here all you southerners not only do we like you , but there are bargains for you'll !
Old 01-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #19

I'm not expecting beef prices to go down:

Beef Prices Canada
Old 01-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
hmmm....maybe your news is newer ....or our news more local ? Guess we'll have to watch more closely . However I have had a few better deals than early fall .